Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 13:19   #151
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cats in General

ddabs--to teach gato to use post. cat must be shown where the post is located.. when cat starts to scratch on something you want cat not to scratch,. simply lift cat off the bad place and place onto the good place, show cat that is the place by scratching it yourself, and lifting cats paws onto the place you made. cats learn fast.
i speak softly to bubba especially when i am relocating and teaching him.
if i speak loudly he will think he is being punished.. do no t allow cat to think he is being punished for something you WANT him to do . show him what to do first with your fingernails, then locate cat to post.. when cat scratches in the wrong place, softly speak to cat and be nice and say "look at you . this is for you ".. "this is (cats name)'s own place oooooh how nice"....and let cat scratch the post you made. i use under table legs and i make a knot i place in an easily located and frequently used lounge spot for cat. there is a support (pole) in dinette to which i tied that knot.
he is also allowed to scratch all floor coverings. is a gooooooooood bubba....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:02   #152

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Dabs, my hubby wrapped the base of our mast with sisal rope. I think it is 1/2 inch thick. Our kitties love it. Just wrap it up high enough because kitties like to reach up high when they scratch.

Zee is right, by scratching with your own finger nails, your kitty will get the idea. But I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting her/him to scratch the sisal rope.

Kitties really are a natural on a sailboat. After all, sailing ships kept cats on board for hundreds of years!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:42   #153

You can clicker train cats just like dogs. Reward what you want, ignore the bad if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:27   #154

i train my cats with love.
it works.
dont need clicker--- cat loves, cat does what the human with whom cat bonded asks cat to do . is all good and it works. simple commands.
be consistent.
yeah i can herd them also
Old 07-12-2014, 06:10   #155

Boat: Nordhavn 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i train my cats with love.
it works.
dont need clicker--- cat loves, cat does what the human with whom cat bonded asks cat to do . is all good and it works. simple commands.
be consistent.
yeah i can herd them also
My cat has trained me to get up at first light to feed him... if not, the penalty is excessive meowing until I get the message. I suppose I am meow trained.
Tropical Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:14   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Blend View Post
My cat has trained me to get up at first light to feed him... if not, the penalty is excessive meowing until I get the message. I suppose I am meow trained.
at least you are not tooth trained....bubba bites me when he wants something..... hurts, but no blood
Old 07-12-2014, 06:23   #157

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Blend View Post
One of our cats, Sam, will come up on the bed in early morning and licks my beard to let me know its time to wake up. When he does this he also purrs really loud. The licking is quite strong and that rough tongue is very effective at waking one up.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07   #158

Boat: Nordhavn 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
at least you are not tooth trained....bubba bites me when he wants something..... hurts, but no blood
Our cat is 20 years old. His kidneys have been deteriorating for the past few years. We didn't think he was going to make it until we left on our voyage a little over a year ago, but he's still going strong. Despite never being on a boat in his life, and hating to be in cars. he adapted quite well to life on board, and doesn't complain about the motion. He does get confused on overnight passages, and he can't decide whether to stay with the watch or in the berth.

He has gotten incredibly picky, and finding food that he would eat in Mexico and Central America was a real problem. We're going to be back in the states for a month, so we can stock up on his favorite food.
Tropical Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:33   #159

i found fancy feast in mexico--even ones bubba will eat.. however, he dislikes the dry food--it goes stale and he wont eat it anymore.. fish food... he hadnt that problem with iams, but that is not avsilable here--only purina products and some specialty foods for goggies.... ok.....
momma sends me his treats-- bubba didnt like those until he was a grown cat, and now he loves em. greenies salmon .. ok.. they have temptations here--he wont touch those.. he is one picky fish eating birdee killing sea going gato.
he loves raw and cooked fish, he doesnt accept it in exchange for wet food--wants that also--he has a pouch opening habit. he must watch pouch open then he will eat...
too smart.
i am looking into having iams shipped to him