Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 13:36   #1

Boat: Com-pac 27
Caribbean onboard quarintine

Does anyone know of a caribbean island that specifically does not allow an animal (dog in this instance) to remain quarantined onboard your vessel.

Thanks for the help!
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 13:41   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Koinonia,

We've visited all but three of the eastern Caribbean islands with our cat onboard. Some of the islands will require you to declare any animals onboard your vessel, but if you note that they will stay onboard, you will not have any problems.
Old 10-04-2008, 18:14   #3

Boat: Com-pac 27
Follow-up

Hud3

Will any of the islands allow you to berth at a marina with an onboard animal? Just wondering if I'll be banished to the hook and moorings for our cruise.

Thanks
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:15   #4

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
There are procedures for each island, and you can find the proper paperwork on the web. I remember that for most of them you have to apply in advance, and on landing show proof of shots, and a health certificate. Many even with that will not allow the animal ashore for 7-30 days. This is due to Rabies in the US and not there. They don't want us to bring that along. Cannot blame them for that, not saying that you are.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:31   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Even if you take a slip in a marina, as long as you certify on your inbound clearance form that the animal will remain aboard at all times, you shouldn't have any problems.

As Doghouse says, the islands with no rabies are very strict. In Bequia, a cruiser told me that he took his dog ashore for a "potty break", and a customs official saw him. The official told him to take the dog back to the boat, and never bring him back to shore, or he would shoot the dog on sight.

When we moved to Nevis, it was harder to get our cat into the country than it was for the two of us and all our furniture. It took a solid three months to jump through all the hoops of shots, tests and paperwork, and then we had to keep the cat quarantined in our house with weekly visits from the government vet to make sure she was healthy.

The islands that have rabies present do not restrict you from landing your pet. But be very careful. On some islands, locals will put out poison for dogs to eat. They think they're protecting their livestock (goats and sheep) by doing that.
Old 12-06-2008, 19:18   #6

Hidy Ho Cruisers

My name is Mike and I sail a Mac 25. It's my first sailboat and I have enjoyed putting her into shape over the past couple of months. I am progressing well with my sailing skills on a learn as you go bases. Between the book learning and the on the job training, I find that the most helpful thing I can do is get close to other boats and watch the skipper and crew do their thing. I am looking foward to the day I can cast off the ole dock lines and head for the open water to points over the horizon. I will be sailing with my wife and 2 Papillons, and this fourm is a treasure of information.

Fair Winds
Mike
CMikeyOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean