Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 18:33   #16

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
So how are you going to know when one falls overboard? reality check!!!
When they count heads right before they have their daily knife juggling practice...duh.

I wonder how many more kids are killed in car wrecks every day than fall off sailboats and drown? Even if you measured it as a percentage of kids who sail vs. kids who ride in cars, I would be willing to bet that riding in cars is more dangerous than sailing. And yet, nobody questions sticking your kid in a car multiple times a day, every day.
isbolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 20:03   #17

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Its not that kids and boats are inherently unsafe its that she has five and how do you keep track of them my three grandchildren on a boat are a challenge
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 03:32   #18
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
When they count heads right before they have their daily knife juggling practice...duh.

I wonder how many more kids are killed in car wrecks every day than fall off sailboats and drown? Even if you measured it as a percentage of kids who sail vs. kids who ride in cars, I would be willing to bet that riding in cars is more dangerous than sailing. And yet, nobody questions sticking your kid in a car multiple times a day, every day.
Plus MANY people still don't buckle their kids up in cars/minivans. At least up here anyways....

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 04:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Its not that kids and boats are inherently unsafe its that she has five and how do you keep track of them my three grandchildren on a boat are a challenge
I get what you are saying. I guess I am thinking that Merrymailer likes her children and wants to keep them all. I would be willing to bet that it has already crossed both her and her husband's minds that the kids could fall overboard and they are taking appropriate measures.
Old 19-06-2008, 06:59   #20

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Speaking for ourselves, when we sail with our five kids aboard (ages two to eleven) they all have their life jackets on over their life harnesses and tethers. That being the case, it is far less likely that any will fall overboard. Not to mention that with five kids, there are at least four other sets of eyes to be a man overboard alarm system.

I certainly agree that while it sounds like 65' would be a floating palace, it would be far too big to try to handle by myself and my wife. I have in mind moving up to about 45' if possible.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:12   #21

I couldn't help but think about this thread while I was hoisting my daughter onto an unbroke two year old colt for the first time this morning. We ride and train horses. It can be dangerous. We take the precautions we can; wearing helmets and boots and following intelligent horse handling procedures. But I would be lying if I said 'safety is first'. It isn't. If safety were to always come first for me, we wouldn't drive in the car, we wouldn't ride (and we certainly would never jump!!), we would never get in the boat, we wouldn't go snorkeling, we wouldn't go hiking in the remote areas...I kind of think that all of those things actually ARE inherently dangerous. But I think the thing is to LIVE first...and figure out how to make it as safe as you can.

The only way to eliminate the chance that one of your kids is going to be hurt is to keep them off the boat, don't let them train their own green horse, don't take them out snorkeling on the reef, don't go backpacking into the Pisgah National Forest, don't let them skateboard, learn to drive, etc. But I think we all recognize that is no way to live your life or for them to live theirs.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:26   #22

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Well put Isbolick. There would not be much point to life if we just sat in one place and did nothing for fear that something else may be unsafe.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 20:54   #23

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
If they have a dinghy and are still sailing when their oldest is 16 Merrymailer had better sleep in the berth nearest it because my fellow teens and I tend to do stupid things, get hurt, regret it till we are better then do it again.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54   #24

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
This might be an interesting link for you...
Octopus
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23   #25

We have 4 kids, ages 13, 10, 7 and 4 and own a 31 foot mono.

Sailing with kids is a blast. We do alot of gunk holing along the lower Texas Gulf coast at present, and the kids have so much fun taking the dinghy out and exploring the areas where we anchor.

In heavy air, the littles go below. Everyone under 13 has a life jacket on at all times, and we have a buddy system (but Hypervigilent Mom is always on duty).

Be safe, but let them have fun. There is nothing more miserable for the kids than having a parent that is unable to relax (raising hand, yes, that would be me at times).
jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 03:12   #26

I totally agree with Jody. Of course you want to protect them but they should have a chance of having fun. That's why I like the idea of getting the little ones below if the wind starts getting stronger.
Old 15-07-2008, 05:13   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHenry View Post
The water is the same on both sides of the boat. - Finnish Proverb
I am having trouble figuring out what that quote means Henry.

How can the water be the same if one side is to windward and the other to leward?

What does it mean??
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 06:43   #28

Boat: Leopard 46
We have 2 kids (4yo son and amost 3yo daughter). We have taken our son day sailing on 27' monos and he has been very good with the always wear a life jacket, get low when coming about etc etc. Granted the wind has been light every time.

We are planing on sailing the BVI in 2009 with both kids on a cat and I had planned on the following rules:

1. Outside Saloon life jacket on.
2. Underway Rule 1 AND clicked onto jackline.

I already have 100' of webbing to run down both sides of the cockpit (we are chartering a Lagoon 440) and was planning on teaching the kids how to clip and inforcing the rule 100% of the time. Is this overkill? It is a cat so the heeling is not an issue but more for my sanity (and getting the admirals approval).

We ran into tons of kids in the BVI and they all looked to be having a fantastic adventure ... I am excited about seeing it all through their eyes!
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 06:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am having trouble figuring out what that quote means Henry.

How can the water be the same if one side is to windward and the other to leward?

What does it mean??
I know my reply is a bit late be still: for me it means that even if something seams seperated (from the boat) if step back and look at the big picture it belongs together. Does that explain it to you now?
Old 21-11-2008, 11:36   #30

Boat: looking
5 kids on a boat

Wow. I managed to miss the majority of this conversation I started; just checking back in after a long absence. We've decided to go with a smaller cat and go custom. Maximum space efficiency and safety are the goals.

I don't know who this person is who might imply I'm going to lose one of the kids overboard. As if....don't get me started.....but OF COURSE we're thinking safety first. webbing, harnesses, car seats below for little ones, PFD's at all times, buddy system, door locks, cabinet latches, Net Nanny, GPS on the dinghy (for you, Little Otter , security alarms and velcro on the freakin' beds if I have to! Just like on land! I resent the implication that people with large families shouldn't sail. I'm probably more vigilant than most people out there sailing BECAUSE of the large family. Enough said about that.

Sundog, I appreciate the link to Octopus. We are adopting another baby in 2009 and so I'm excited that there are other families living aboard with 5+ kids - and enjoying it! I'll share their link with the family.

Clausont, I'll be in touch! Because of the new family addition and some financial stuff, it'll be at least 2 years before we take off. I'm homeschooling next year, though, and we're taking family sailing trips and lessons to begin training the older kids on how to crew. Husband bought us a used 20' to kick around the lake in. So we're plugging along. Please keep me posted on your adventures!

Thanks for all the input.
Catherine
merrymailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids