Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2014, 19:46   #61

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Thermos Cooking

lmao, too funny! One word -- scrambled!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 22:12   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Eggs revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
We got ourselves a police state cranking up on another thread. The boiled eggs can wait. Fry them suckas!!! Fry em good.
Sounds like there is a call for raw eggs in that thread. Ones that bob to the surface when popped in water?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 22:30   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And room temperature eggs? That would require some planning and preparation on my part! Like that's gonna happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I've read it takes about 24 hours for an egg to come up to room temp--and who wants to plan breakfast that far ahead?
I have never heard of anyone refrigerating eggs when cruising long term. Buy them unrefrigerated to start with and they will last for weeks. Move your vaseline into the kitchen and start smearing, and weeks will extend to months. There's more room in the fridge for the essentials like G&Ts then .

Old 13-05-2014, 23:30   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I have never heard of anyone refrigerating eggs when cruising long term. Buy them unrefrigerated to start with and they will last for weeks. Move your vaseline into the kitchen and start smearing, and weeks will extend to months. There's more room in the fridge for the essentials like G&Ts then .
Great minds think alike
Old 13-05-2014, 23:57   #65

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
About 20 years ago Mother Earth News magazine did a test on the best way to store eggs un-refrigerated.things like put them in sawdust, cover them with Vaseline, just let them sit. The number one result was to flip them (turn the carton over every couple days) Vaseline didn't help. For longer term storage hard boil and pickle. And of course buy unrefrigerated eggs whenever possible, and don't wash them. This was a long time ago but I also think they said that having them in the cardboard containers work better than in plastic or Styrofoam
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 00:01   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Thermos Cooking

Quote:
"Have It Oeuf" apparently comes highly recommended.
So does "Getting Oeuf":

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 02:27   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
About 20 years ago Mother Earth News magazine did a test on the best way to store eggs un-refrigerated.things like put them in sawdust, cover them with Vaseline, just let them sit. The number one result was to flip them (turn the carton over every couple days) Vaseline didn't help. For longer term storage hard boil and pickle. And of course buy unrefrigerated eggs whenever possible, and don't wash them. This was a long time ago but I also think they said that having them in the cardboard containers work better than in plastic or Styrofoam
Interesting that the Vaseline makes no difference. I coat the eggs religiously in summer. Also store them only in cardboard and invert every few days or when I remember. I will do a little trial with a couple of dozen when the weather gets hotter .

Back to hard boiling them though, I added an edit to my list of suggestions for Mt2 to try in his flask. Mt2, not sure if you saw it, but use two eggs instead of three next time. This should help keep the water temp up.

Old 14-05-2014, 03:23   #68

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
SL, you're right of course. But some of us also spend long periods of time on shore with a big fridge. Also, not sure about the US, but here in Canada I don't know where you'd buy eggs that are not refrigerated apart from direct from the farmer. That isn't a problem where we sail in Spain.

Yup, I've read the same re storage--no vasoline, but turn & store in cardboard.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 05:09   #69

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Thermos Cooking

Quote:
Greens and tomatoes?

The old-timey great capes cruisers with real bluewater boats did as we've all read, especially rotating the eggs, and plastic containers were not common.

Over the years, I've had chickens or access to chickens. At one time I even built my own Coop De Ville on wheels.

So for many years I've enjoyed never refrigerated extra large fresh wholesome brown free range eggs with bright orange high cholesterol yolks. Yowser! But those eggs were shellish to peel. And the hox and fox and snāx and other predatory critters trying to make a living got them all eventually.

Hearing that older eggs are easier to peel, I very recently began top secret, very hush-hush experiments onboard with store-bought eggs when I heard older eggs peel easier. Where else are ya gonna get older eggs than at the mercado or local αγορά τροφίμων? Nowheres mates.

I am willing to say older, colder eggs do peel moderately easier than fresh eggs but the tradeoff is: Good wholesome delicious fresh food for GMO clone-ish semblances of eggs? Arrrrgggghhh! I feel for you rich-yet-poor electron-filled somebitches that insist on citified life.

No, me hearties, lets go back to real food, eh?, and struggle along fighting for right, justice, hard-to-peel eggs, and here in the US, the American Way.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 07:34   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To chill or not to chill

Quote:
Greens and tomatoes?
You refrigerate tomatoes?
Are you pulling my leg?

The delicate volatiles that make tomatoes taste like tomatoes are killed by cold. Cold does not just stop the volatiles from developing, it actually destroys them and at the same time gives tomatoes a horrid mealy texture.

Biting into a tomato that has been ripened on the vine is the ultimate, but some of that explosion of rich flavour and ripe juiciness can still be enjoyed if you keep tomatoes well away from the fridge .

As an added bonus if you keep your boat fridge free of eggs and tomatoes imagine how much more bubbly you could chill (or power you could save if bubbles do not turn you or your current lassie on) .

Old 14-05-2014, 08:38   #71

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;
Back to hard boiling them though, I added an edit to my list of suggestions for Mt2 to try in his flask. Mt2, not sure if you saw it, but use two eggs instead of three next time. This should help keep the water temp up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try that soon. I may just try with 1 egg first and then try 2 eggs. I'll also take better notes and not just try to remember what I did.

Thanks again!
Old 14-05-2014, 13:12   #72

Boat: csy 37

since you're going to be adding boiling water to the thermos, why not just boil the eggs in the water too. as soon as the water comes to a boil, take the eggs out and put them in the thermos, add the boiling water, then use the remaining water for your french press (or coffee filter) and oatmeal. eggs will be ready about when you've finished your oatmeal and poured your coffee.

just sayin....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 13:38   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
since you're going to be adding boiling water to the thermos, why not just boil the eggs in the water too. as soon as the water comes to a boil, take the eggs out and put them in the thermos, add the boiling water, then use the remaining water for your french press (or coffee filter) and oatmeal. eggs will be ready about when you've finished your oatmeal and poured your coffee.

just sayin....
The challenge here is just to boil the kettle and see what can be made from a couple of cups of boiling water .

If you threw the eggs in a pot of boiling water first, you have a pot of water on the stove, hard to secure and handle in rough seas. The water can't really be used for much else, as boiling eggs often crack and discharge some of their contents, making the water unusable (it can smell tainted). The thought of drinking coffee or eating oatmeal made from water eggs have been boiled in leaves me cold.

The more I consider it though, the more I think I will skip the whole "eggs in a thermos" idea. Crabby was on the right track, just fry 'em .

Vacuum flasks are brilliant for some grains and seeds. I am going to stick to what I have found they excel at .

Old 15-05-2014, 04:21   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Waving the white flag

Reporting a second failed attempt at cooking white rice in my vacuum flask.

'Take two' cooking long grain white rice produced something vaguely edible, but only in what I would consider a dire emergency.

I used 1 cup of long grain white rice and 2 cups of boiling water again. The thermos was cold to start with again. After sealing it, I shook it and laid it on its side (to minimise the height of the contents and help distribution of the liquid), wrapped it in a blanket for added insulation and left it 1.5 hours (1 hour was insufficient last time with water left at the base and undercooked rice).

It ended up way overcooked outside, but with a very slight hard inner bite to some of the grains. Yuk.

Putting my thinking cap on, the overcooked outside probably means too much liquid for too long. The undercooked inside means lack of heat. So I guess the thermos would benefit from preheating and a bit less liquid should be used.

NornaB had more success using a bigger thermos, 1.5 cups of rice and 3 cups of water. Her technique was similar otherwise, with the thermos not preheated but popped in her Wonderbag to help insulate it after being filled.

I give up though .
White rice in the thermos has defeated me

Old 15-05-2014, 04:43   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Waving the white flag

Quote:
Reporting a second failed attempt at cooking white rice in my vacuum flask.

'Take two' cooking long grain white rice produced something vaguely edible, but only in what I would consider a dire emergency.

It ended up way overcooked outside, but with a very slight hard inner bite to some of the grains. Yuk.

Putting my thinking cap on, the overcooked outside probably means too much liquid for too long. The undercooked inside means lack of heat. So I guess the thermos would benefit from preheating and a bit less liquid should be used.

NornaB had more success using a bigger thermos, 1.5 cups of rice and 3 cups of water. Her technique was similar otherwise, with the thermos not preheated but popped in her Wonderbag to help insulate it after being filled.

I give up though .
White rice in the thermos has defeated me
I suspect it's the type of rice. I was using the standard long grain white rice available in any Greek supermarket. Did you try soaking the basmati?

Tags
cooking