Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 06:47   #16

Re: There is an entire WORLD of food preservation we have completely missed!

It is not cooking per se, but I have a stash of Profile shakes and “veggies” powder aboard for quick breakfasts and for meals while I am sailing single handed. They are shakes in foil that give a balanced meal when combined with two scoops of the veggie powder. I just shake them with water in a shaker bottle.
The Shakes have 15 gm protein and about 5 to7 gm carbohydrates and are balanced for vitamins and minerals. You need to add some additional fat, but that’s all for a balanced meal. The thing is that the shakes taste great, and are filling. You will need snacks in between these meals but they are a great option for those days when you don’t want to cook or are too busy keeping up with wind and wave to do so.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F85E303-CB9E-45A8-9CDA-A63158FCE62A.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	270616   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6D1C459-AC6A-4C51-97B8-4A691A28A0AD.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	270617  

Name:	4EAAAF92-A85A-4C95-A749-AAF776BD6347.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	270618  
auwekamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 07:00   #17

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Live food! Fermentation actually increases the nutritional value and vitamin C content of your vegetables, makes the nutrients more available, and makes probiotic bacteria, as well as prolongs the time you can eat your vegetables, by weeks or months. A perfect approach for cruisers, especially with limited refrigeration.

Once you have the whey started kimchi, or you make sauerkraut with just a brine starter, the fermented brine is a great starter for all kinds of fermented vegetables.

You can cut back on the salt quite a bit, and you can use potassium chloride (sold as No Salt instead of sodium chloride, but be very careful with potassium chloride. Too much can be toxic, especially to young children.

I make sauerkraut, and add extra water as it ferments. Then I use the extra brine for salad dressings, a salty addition to soups and stews, or even with water as a sour drink.

I make a live food hot sauce with sauerkraut brine, grated zucchini, diakon (or red) radish, and any other vegetables that need to be used up, and some japeno peppers to taste.

Try red cabbage for your sauerkraut or other fermented food. It gives a lovely colour to the food, and the extra brine can be added to dips and sauces to add colour.

If you get a white mold on top of your fermented foods, just skim it off and discard. It's harmless. Many perfectly good pickles have been wasted because careful cooks didn't realize the white stuff is safe.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:35   #18

Boat: 43 Mikelson

On passage, the only thing that tastes the same coming up as it did going down is Pineapple.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:52   #19

NOH makes a Kim Chee seasoning mix. It is Hawaiian influenced so a little sweeter I think. Better to stop by a Korean grocery and just buy some already made. Grandmothers gather in the back room and make it communally while talking and laughing, its the best.They have Napa cabbage, cucumber, radish styles and maybe more. Kim chee does go sour, even when kept in a super cold refrigerator. if you love kim chee you'll notice it. Then you can make pan cakes with it, if you can fry a pancake on board you can make it with a few ingredients. The Koreans made kim chee in fall, then buried it in big ceramic pots in the yard, and its a cold winter there. By spring warm up they would be eating lots of pancakes because it was turning. dip them in a soy sauce. Goes great with beer.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:12   #20

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I like to make a lot of Ramens.
I love Ramen. However, the dry prepackaged stuff is the "death noodle". It's basically slow poison if you keep eating a lot of it.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 12:28   #21

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
I love Ramen. However, the dry prepackaged stuff is the "death noodle". It's basically slow poison if you keep eating a lot of it.
That’s not ramen. That’s trash. It might say Ramen on the package, but that’s not actually ramen.

Not anymore than a Sweet Sue canned bird is a thanksgiving Turkey.

I’m with you.

My Ramen, which is typically chicken, starts with boiling bones and ligaments all afternoon to make a proper bone broth. It has fish sauce. Low sodium in general. Packed with bok choy, Chinese cabbage, leeks. No sodium Chinese ramen noodles (like the bricks in Walmart but real).

I make a kind of concentrated stock and then I am able to add it to the noodle water later when I take it out of the freezer. I freeze it in the correct portions. Then you just dump the block of ice Ramen concentrate into the actual noodle water. Not wasting any water at all.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 12:41   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Try Nongshim Black from Korea

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 12:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Try Nongshim Black from Korea
I’m sorry. I will have to disagree a bit on this. Processed food is processed food. No matter where it comes from.

Traditional Ramen is an extremely nutritious and good tasting meal. Those flavor packets no matter where they are from are not it.

It’s unfortunate. A lot of people seem to think this is cooking. Making these types of things. And I don’t mean you in particular. I mean a lot of people. People straight from Korea. They eat trash. Their grandmothers eat the right stuff.

Same with Indian and other Desi people.

They have lost their ways with the traditional cooking. Here I am a white guy trying to keep it alive. Ha ha
Old 27-01-2023, 12:54   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I’m sorry. I will have to disagree a bit on this. Processed food is processed food. No matter where it comes from.
Try Nongshim Black from Korea. Read about their history and how they saved their people from starvation. Try the best instant ramen before judging on the category.

I am very much in favor of not using processed foods, but sometimes it’s the time for these .

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 13:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Try Nongshim Black from Korea. Read about their history and how they saved their people from starvation. Try the best instant ramen before judging on the category.

I am very much in favor of not using processed foods, but sometimes it’s the time for these .
I’m pretty familiar with the history and current state of processed Ramen. It is still used as a safety net for nutrition for people who don’t have enough money to eat. Worked exactly the same way for me in college when I didn’t have enough money to eat. It’s currently under price control in several Asian countries for the purpose of fighting hunger/poverty. The price was just raised recently because of inflation in Thailand. Controversial.
Old 27-01-2023, 13:12   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
I’m pretty familiar with the history and current state of processed Ramen. It is still used as a safety net for nutrition for people who don’t have enough money to eat. Worked exactly the same way for me in college when I didn’t have enough money to eat. It’s currently under price control in several Asian countries for the purpose of fighting hunger/poverty. The price was just raised recently because of inflation in Thailand. Controversial.

It does serve that purpose, but it's also a food that stores easily, so a decent quality example isn't necessarily a bad food to have around even if you don't eat it regularly.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 14:34   #27

I know this is about fermenting, but the noodies thing came up and reminded me of something.

Quote:
That’s not ramen. That’s trash. It might say Ramen on the package, but that’s not actually ramen.

Not anymore than a Sweet Sue canned bird is a thanksgiving Turkey.

I’m with you.

My Ramen, which is typically chicken, starts with boiling bones and ligaments all afternoon to make a proper bone broth. It has fish sauce. Low sodium in general. Packed with bok choy, Chinese cabbage, leeks. No sodium Chinese ramen noodles (like the bricks in Walmart but real).

I make a kind of concentrated stock and then I am able to add it to the noodle water later when I take it out of the freezer. I freeze it in the correct portions. Then you just dump the block of ice Ramen concentrate into the actual noodle water. Not wasting any water at all.
One of the neat things that comes with some of the better brands (like Nissin) of dehydrated ramen, is the tiny foil pack of Veggies.
Those little Veggie flakes just expand and expand into delightful chinks of sliced vegetables.

I've looked everywhere I can, and never managed to find flakes of dried vegetables quite like the 'quality' dried noodle ones, even in the Freeze Dried foods packs for hiking.

I used some in something I was cooking the other day and thought how great they would be in a soup or something made with freshly caught fish.
(Yeah - I know. A horrible thing to do to fresh fish, but sometimes I used to get sick of grilled, steamed, fried over and over).
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 09:16   #28

Taking advantage of some vegetables on hand and cold day to make a new chicken ramen batch.

Here are a few pictures of the thread drift topic.

This is what my ramen is made of. These are the ingredients, along with fish sauce, onions, garlic, ginger, etc.

First pic is the carcass of the organic bird ready to boil with seasonings for a few hours.

Second pic is meat picked from the organic chicken. Will be put back in at the end.

Third pic is the vegetables going in. They will be stir fried with fish sauce and onions to reduce their size and concentrate the flavor and nutrition.

Fourth pic is the bone broth starting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F9DC0688-9957-4466-A452-14DE09E4F955.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	270697   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3CE98C-EC93-4527-87BF-546BB0EBD2D6.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	270698  

Name:	1AB9C4B5-40BB-4332-A01C-C207B3FD6D94.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	270699   Click image for larger version

Name:	602392BF-CCDB-4DBC-88AD-0FDF27A6847A.jpeg
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	270700  

Old 28-01-2023, 12:00   #29

And a couple more pics now that it’s done.

Heat was in the form of red peppers in the bone broth boil.

First pic: Stir frying all those vegetables down with translucent onions, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and tamari sauce to pack in all the flavor and nutrition. Condensed down.

Second pic: The final product. Ready to cool.

This makes enough for about 16 servings.

So in the deep freezer it goes.

Later, this base gets added to the boiling noodle water when the noodles are ready. Noodles are made fresh each time. Adding this concentrated base straight to the noodle water helps conserve water.

THIS is why I’m not too down with processed food ramen. Lol

Sorry, no mushrooms. Mushrooms aren’t for me. Ha ha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	229027ED-B80C-4446-9B9D-6166298B5F21.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	270708   Click image for larger version

Name:	5960BE82-99A6-445B-81B3-4D72424F91F7.jpeg
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	270709  

Old 28-01-2023, 14:19   #30

Boat: Morgan 382

That looks Amazing!
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food