Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 14:37   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Question Seawater => Drinking Water

Hi, I have done alot of looking around, but I can't find a seawater to drinking water RO machine that suits my needs... the closest I found is this:- http://www.villagemarine.com/images/...60.200.d.d.pdf

But this is to big and too expensive... really all I need is about a 10gal/day machine to make what I need (1-2 gal/day).

Has anyone seen something like this?(not hand pumped please)
(I've asked for a quote for a custom machine, but no doubt that will be expensive...)
Old 29-01-2009, 15:36   #2

I found this - West Marine: PowerSurvivor 40E Watermaker Product Display

But the price is about 10x what I'd expect to pay for something like this....
Old 29-01-2009, 15:59   #3

That one from Jaz looks really cool and simple!! thanks for the heads up. I'll keep it on my shortlist!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:02   #4

LOL, no worries, yea I would certainly get it too if money wasn't an issue...
I do like the hand pumping option if power fails...
Old 29-01-2009, 16:08   #5

Boat: Irwin Citation 38
Lots of possibilities

>I have done alot of looking around, but I can't find a seawater to drinking water RO machine that suits my needs... <snip> really all I need is about a 10gal/day machine to make what I need (1-2 gal/day).<

Other than the hand pumped model like the PUR Survivor you are unlikely to find a RO desalinating watermaker that makes less than about 10 gal/Hour--24x the flow rate you are asking for. The reason for this is that the filter and membrane units come in standard sizes.

You can buy a new 10gal/hr modular watermaker off of EBAY for about $2700 USD + shipping. That is about the lowest price that I have seen for a new unit.

If you are handy, you can build your own watermaker from off the shelf components for a little less than $2K USD. The advantage is that since you built it you can probably troubleshoot and fix it if something goes wrong.

If $2K seems expensive, consider that the high pressure (1000PSI) seawater pump goes for about $1200 USD by itself! It is basically a high dollar pressure washer pump except that the housing and pistons are made out of either high quality stainless steel, or silicon bronze. Considering the cost, I've often wondered if you couldn't get by with a lower cost pressure washer pump and flush it with fresh water after every use to keep it from corroding.

Don W.
donw_s11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:11   #6

Ok cheers, I'm thinking that adapting this one - 100Gal Reverse Osmosis system DISCUS MARINE TROPICAL on eBay, also Cleaning Water Treatments, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 12-Feb-09 01:18:09 GMT)

for use in seawater may be the only option for less than $500....
Old 29-01-2009, 16:52   #7

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
One to two gallons per day brought to mind a solar still until I noticed that you give your port as the UK. We all know that sunshine necessary to run a solar still is at a premium, but my time in the UK suggests that a rain collection system may be more in order for your location.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 17:02   #8

Thanks, but my destination is the Marquesas Islands, so possibly a combination of both may be an idea...
Old 29-01-2009, 18:18   #9

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Ok cheers, I'm thinking that adapting this one - 100Gal Reverse Osmosis system DISCUS MARINE TROPICAL on eBay, also Cleaning Water Treatments, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 12-Feb-09 01:18:09 GMT)

Didn't this already get discussed in a different thread? A Reverse Osmosis system designed for keeping a freshwater aquarium clean is not going to give you freshwater from seawater - totally different deal.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:23   #10

Lol, yes we did, but the discussion here is about converting it for the use needed...
Old 29-01-2009, 18:26   #11

And that was the wrong link sorry, it should of been this - 100gall Per Day Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System on eBay, also, Water, Food Drink, Home Garden (end time 23-Feb-09 21:39:29 GMT)

And the main problem with using it at sea, for sea-water, according to the salesman I phoned, was that some of the parts aren't stainless steal.
Old 29-01-2009, 18:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
But this is to big and too expensive... really all I need is about a 10gal/day machine to make what I need (1-2 gal/day).
Salt water is made up of aqueousv salts. At the molecular level these are as small as it gets. It's already smaller than a virus. Filtration of salt water is really rocket science. High pressure with complex filtration is the name of the game and that takes power. There are a lots of systems out there but how much power and how much water separates them out. For just pure drinking a gallon or two per day will work. Survival isn't the same as living.

You'll find a lot of water maker threads here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:30   #13

ok... though the final filter on this machine is 40x smaller than a virus... but i really don't know if thats small enough... theres probably a good reason why the ones specifically designed for the purpose are so expensive...
Old 29-01-2009, 18:32   #14

But then it makes me think, that maybe if it was filtered though here first, and then through activated carbon, that may make it drinkable....
Old 29-01-2009, 18:39   #15

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post

This system is designed for purifying domestic drinking water and will be no good for seawater
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water