Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 16:27   #16

Boat: O'day 27
Re: Search for One Can Meal, Part Deux

i'd recommend Uncle bens or something not too bad
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 01:20   #17

Boat: Wannabe 34 (BW of course)

I read the entire original thread (for reference: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-114673.html), and everything mentioned needed heating (stews and soups, cassoulet, Hormel Compleats, MREs, and Indian meal pouches) or hot water (backpacking pouches, ramen, powdered soups).

I think RigelKent (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1442424) came closest with the St Dalfour Meals to Go (available online as well).

But I remember the ideal one-can-meal from picnicking in France: rice or pasta salads in cans. Here's a photo of the Saupiquet brand (there are others and each store has their own brand as well). These have rice, pasta, or couscous for carbs, usually tuna for protein, and veggies of some sort (corn, peppers/capsicum, peas, carrots, etc) in a vinaigrette or mustard dressing. They are wide and flat cans with pull rings, so they are truly eat-cold-from-the-can. I don't know how available they are outside of France (which should include French Polynesia and New Caledonia), but Carrefour might carry them in other countries. Should be 2-3 euros each.

In general rice/pasta/grain salads are tasty, satisfying, and easy to make from scratch as well.
libramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubber4now View Post
One of my favorite salads is perfect for this situation.

I bought a few sprouting trays and huge bags of seed that keep no problem. I spread a layer of seed in a tray and wet it each day. In the heat within a few days the tray is packed solid with sprouts (fresh).

I pry out a gob, spread it out in a bowl.

I mix some instant milk and get it hot then pour some vinegar in (curds & whey) known nowadays as pot cheese.

I sprinkle some cheese, bacon bits on the sprouts and top with salad dressing - fresh, delicious, healthy - with some Triscuit on the side. For the full monty a side dish of baked beans from a jar.

To my bemusement the dogs are WILD about the vile green whey - go figure.

Sprout seeds
Instant milk
Vinegar
Bacon bits (I know optional)
Salad dressing (mmmm blue cheese)
Triscuit

Mozzarella is quite similar to pot cheese and easy to make fresh using instant milk.

For meat get a roll of pepperoni - slice or dice it and it keeps well.

Beats anything canned, but even cheapo P&Bees taste better with some pot cheese and pepperoni dice.
Cheese, bacon, blue cheese dressing, and pepperoni - delicious, yes, but healthy?
Tensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 03:04   #19

Boat: boatless wonder

It frequently happens that people stranded in the wilderness by say a plane crash can survive for a time hunting meat, only to succumb to scurvy.

Few things are as healthy as sprouts - if you can take them straight more power to you.
Lubber4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 15:43   #20

Sadly, I've had to forego most tinned and cured meats, because of the nitrates.
After a succession of bad headaches it took me months to trace the cause. When I cut out all cured meats, and some tinned red meats, the headaches stopped.
It's a shame, I love bacon, ham, corned beef, salami and proscuto.

Matt
Compass 28
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 19:10   #21

Boat: O'day 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubber4now View Post
It frequently happens that people stranded in the wilderness by say a plane crash can survive for a time hunting meat, only to succumb to scurvy.

Few things are as healthy as sprouts - if you can take them straight more power to you.
If u lost in the woods with pine trees, making pine needle tea is a good source of vitamin C thus preventing scurvy, sorry a little of topic
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:45   #22

Boat: catalina capri 18

What about black bean hummus - it is one of my favorites, the beans can be canned,, just add garlic, tahini and lemon juice (I like to add fresh parsley to counteract the gas I get from the garlic, and does it still count as a one can meal then?) But to make a spread it has to be blenderized, mashed (fair amount of elbow grease) or put through a food processor, - does anyone carry a stick blender aboard?
after you have it whipped up you can dehydrate it (omit the fresh parsley I think) and then store it in a plastic baggie.

Really - does anyone use their battery life up with a blender or food processor?

~C
Ceawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:49   #23

That's a good tip, I looked for more info and found this site: Pine Needle Tea
~C
Old 24-08-2014, 12:50   #24

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Yesterday I took about 1/2 cup of lentil sprouts, 1/2 onion and some celery, added a package of tunafish (the foil ones are great) ... mixed the above with some mayonnaise (no refrigeration required) and voila: a great, filling meal.

And nothing required refrigeration.

It's simple.
All ingredients I like.

If you check the grocery stores (USofA) you'll find a great number of foil packages of food. Some are quite good. Here's an article that might interest you too:

Janice142 article Food in Foil

Eating aboard a boat doesn't have to be beans and rice. Nor should it mean canned chili -- at least not too often! Variety means choices, and I like having lots aboard Seaweed.
Old 24-08-2014, 14:08   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceawolf View Post
does anyone carry a stick blender aboard?
Yes. I sold my shore-side blender and food processors for a Kitchen Aid stick blender with a processing attachment. We don't use it terribly often but there are some things that are just untenable by hand, like making mayonnaise or broccoli soup.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 15:12   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

Cheese, bacon, blue cheese dressing, and pepperoni - delicious, yes, but healthy?

If you're questioning these things because of their fat content,
see this:

Fat Is Good for You - TIME

from Time Magazine.

Fat phobia has been ruining our health.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 09:05   #27

pirate Re: Search for One Can Meal, Part Deux

That is absolutely right, fat is essential and choosing a healthy fat like avocado or olive oil at the beginning of the meal satisfies the appetite and results in eating less, from experience and my dear physiology professor.

I don't believe in conspiracy theory but I do believe in the snowball effect, and years ago the government got in on dietary advice and told everyone fat was bad so we should all eat sugar instead! This has resulted in the obesity epidemic and type 2 diabetes and the western addiction to high fructose corn syrup. Today our dietary choices can be a revolutionary act, just like taking to the sea.
~C
Old 26-08-2014, 17:00   #28

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Yes. I sold my shore-side blender and food processors for a Kitchen Aid stick blender with a processing attachment. We don't use it terribly often but there are some things that are just untenable by hand, like making mayonnaise or broccoli soup.
Did you know it's much more nutritious to blend your broccoli first rather than after cooking . See YouTube video :second strategy to cooking broccoli by nutrition facts. org
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:12   #29

Boat: hunter 376

Lost in the woods, you would be extremely hard pressed to obtain any food at all, and certainly enough to provide enough calories to prevent or delay hypothermia would be almost impossible in most places, so the gradual onset of scurvy isn't a problem. You aint gonna live long enough to get it.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 22:13   #30

Depends on the location and season, you may lose weight but shouldn't starve to death. Problem comes with ketosis which can be overcome by the carbs in grasses, just enough to keep you going.

Tags
arc