Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:13   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
We made red beans and rice last night. We needed to heat up the boat. It is cold down here in the Keys! I make a killer chili in mine and freeze the extra. Oh and yes it is my popcorn popper too. When you are on a passage in crappy weather you can keep a hot bowl of soup or stew ready at your finger tips and not worry about it slopping out of the pot. You don’t have to presoak your beans either!
Enjoy
Gary
Old 11-01-2010, 10:28   #17

As has been mentioned in past threads a pressure cooker is a "must have" for cruisers or live-aboards. We've worn out about three or more and are the best when a hot meal and time are of the essence. Our favorite recipe is lamb stew that brews up in about 30 minutes. A pressure cooker can even be used (with slight modifications) as a fresh water distiller, a quick alternative to a solar distiller.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I got a $10 pressure cooker, but it doesnt seal unless I push down on the top hard enough. Anyone have ideas to improve this?

Does anyone cook at higher than 15psi?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I got a $10 pressure cooker, but it doesnt seal unless I push down on the top hard enough. Anyone have ideas to improve this?

Does anyone cook at higher than 15psi?
The seal may not be seated properly @ the lid or there may be foreign matter breaking the seal.

Speaking of which, it's always a good idea to purchase a spare seal - a just in case.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 14:39   #20

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
As has been mentioned in past threads a pressure cooker is a "must have" for cruisers or live-aboards. We've worn out about three or more and are the best when a hot meal and time are of the essence. Our favorite recipe is lamb stew that brews up in about 30 minutes. A pressure cooker can even be used (with slight modifications) as a fresh water distiller, a quick alternative to a solar distiller.
By heavens I'd be keen to see some diagrams on how that device works on a boat.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:15   #21

Please note: Do this at your own risk. Do not leave unattended while boiling water in a PC (not your computer)
Buy two pressure cookers (store the pot of one; you can use it later) Keep one top in original condition for cooking your pot roast. With the other lid, drill and tap for a 1/8 NPT for a 1/4" x 1/8" tube/MIP brass angle valve (drill hole at least 2" from any other hole). Add 4' - 1/4" ID x 7/16” OD crush-resistant, high temp. silicone tubing. Add 4' 1/4" soft (annealed) copper tubing (coiled 3" dia. use 24OZ beer can to wrap[drink beer later]) leave approx 1 foot straight to collector (beer can after you drink the beer). (By the way clamp everything) Add water to the pot, add heat to the pot and presto (no pun intended) you have fresh water from turds or even brine. There's no need to cool the condenser coil, but you can put it in a bucket of cold water if you like (makes things go faster). Remember, water flows downhill (unless you live on a boat), so put the collector on the sole. Optional safety would be to add chlorine or iodine; amounts vary depending on manufacturers of these product, so follow their instructions.
Do not boil dry, you'll have to throw it away (the pot not the boat).

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Try this site, full of recipes and instructions; Pressure Cooker Recipes
I second Unicorn Dreams’ endorsement of Miss Vickie’s pressure cooker site. http :// missvickie . com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12   #23

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
third endorsment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I second Unicorn Dreams’ endorsement of Miss Vickie’s pressure cooker site. http :// missvickie . com/
I had already bought several/many Pressure Cooking Recipe books, but when I looked at this site and seen how helpful and forth coming they were, I ordered their book also.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 20:48   #24

Boat: HitchHiker 42ft Sailing Cat
Veggies in a few minutes
I tried this one: about 1 tablespoon of oil and a sprinkle of salt, lightly saute 2 cups diced/chopped root vegs like potatoes sweet pots etc. add 1 cup water seal lid bring to pressure, turn down heat for a couple of minutes then turn off the heat, allow to depressurise, serve and enjoy. Its an easy method for tasty vegs and when you are new to the pressure game.
Ciao
Top_deck2
top_deck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 20:57   #25

Boat: HitchHiker 42ft Sailing Cat
Apart from raw oysters what else goes in this delightful sauce you're salivating over??
top_deck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28   #26

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
The missus tells me there are loads of how-to videos on You-tube if you search for them. You can also check out: Fastcooking.ca - Pressure Cookers: High Quality, Stainless Steel Fagor Pressure Cookers sold at the New Generation Pressure Cooker Store and
Pressure Cookers | Fagor
We've done scratch baked beans and home-made KFC among other things - it's a very useful tool in the galley.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40   #27

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Lasagna

Anyone have a good Pressure Cooker Lasagna recipe?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote