Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 17:36   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: HELP ! Coffee Not Roasted Dark Enough . . .

Ditto Sarafina's technique. Green Hawaiian beans, slowly roasted over a cast iron skillet until they "smell right". Practice until you get it right, then grind them.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:36   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok i tried first pan full--- did a decent jobh-- beans are almost right---darker than blonde, so is working!!!!!! took me 20 mins, or thereabouts.....stove top method, my favorite pan...i might have to get a special pan just for coffee beans!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 20:57   #18

Zeehag, Brava!! Now, the scent of freshly roasting coffee will float delicately across the entire anchorage. With luck, you'll inspire someone to prepare a fresh batch of cinnamon buns and come over to share.
Old 15-10-2011, 21:22   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Roasting coffee in a frypan will make your boat like a bad day in LA. Roasting the beans releases gases/smoke that hang about head high for a long time and the smell lasts for days. I like it but finally had to give up roasting my own because my wife and everybody who came in the house remarked on it. Just used a heavy fry pan to roast it. Your cast iron pan should work fine. Just stir the beans constantly.

If you've got AC electricity, an air popcorn popper works really well though only in small batches.

BTW, charcoal is charcoal. Can't believe that Starbuck has gotten so popular with their crappy roasting. Burned beans, and that what a French or expresso roast is, taste like crap. Buy decent coffee and have it roasted to a 'Full City' roast and you'll actually taste the coffee, not the charcoal.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 21:46   #20

i had my aircond and my fan on so it dissipated nicely into the air of mazatlan..didnt burn it--may have not roasted it dark enough yet--we see in am when i drink my first cup-a my own roast. had my companion way door open so the carbon monoxide didnt kill me yet, either (and also.)
Old 16-10-2011, 08:43   #21

Different folks, different roasts. Once, on a flight to Sweden, the SAS attendant asked me if I'd like some coffee. "American or Swedish?", she politely added. The Swedes claim that if you put a cup of coffee in a glass and set it on a newspaper, and can still make out the printing, the coffee is too weak. At this moment, early on a gray Sunday morning, I'm lying in bed with the laptop, and my freshly brewed cup of coffee at my elbow. I fill the Mr Coffee grinder to the top with Costco Starbucks French Roast, grind it and put it all in a two-cup coffee maker. It's beyond the point of legibility, and if I drank it with any additive, it would probably float the spoon. MMMMM, life is good. And two cups, better.
Old 16-10-2011, 08:51   #22

ok report of the home roasted mexibeans....... turned out to have some decent flavor---mebbe a lil bit more roasting and we will find perfection...or i will find some pricier beans. did well for what i was able to find. so my coffee had a lilk more ZIP to it-- thankyou guys for the halp in figgering out this coffee dilemma!!

hhmmmmm...havent seen swedish roast---mebbe i need to seek that out.......