Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 04:55   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Diabetic Recipes

I made the mistake of taking some sugar-free parfaits to a marina party recently and I was confronted by the self-appointed local diabetic cooking expert who had brought a so-called diabetic dessert made with sugar-free pudding, whipped topping, graham crackers and other chemical-filled crap. She resented anyone else presuming to cook for diabetics. A spoon was supplied and diners helped themselves to her "mousse" liberally. What diabetic educators, cookbooks and magazines do NOT seem to teach is portion control. The recipe this woman used was supposed to be divided into 18 portions, each 1/3 cupful supplying 18 grams of carbs. Aside from the fact that you could have a a nice, juicy bunch of fresh grapes for the same amount of carbs, most people just piled the dessert onto their plates without regard to the amount. Suggestion: when bringing diabetic desserts to a potluck, just being "sugar free" doesn't cut it. Small, clear plastic cups are a good way to provide individual portions. Cookie and cake portions can be put in cupcake papers, again providing an attractive presentation with portion control.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Diabetic Recipes

So True!!. I am diabetic, and the first thing I look at is how many portions make up the store package. Just as important as the sugar quantity.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm probably a bad example but!!! Have been diabetic for 25 years and now in my late 60s. Been on Insulin, a shot with each meal and before bed for over 10 years. My A1c was not good on the oral medication despite reasonably careful eating, not being overweight and refereeing 4 or more soccer games a week. Resisted using insulin because I was afraid of the needle. Changed doctors and the new one convinced me I needed to be on insulin. Best decision I've made in treating the disease. Have gotten A1c below the ‘Magic 7’ despite some periods of really poor eating and exercise habits.

I've found it's not what, but how much I eat and how much exercise I get that helps control the disease. I pretty much eat what I want except do try and stay clear of refined sugar. Drink diet sodas, use Equal on my oat bran, but that's about it. Still looking for sugar free bread pudding and Creme Brulee, though. Haven't found a diet beer that doesn't taste like water so continue with Newcastle Ale and an occasional draft Guiness. Food with more leafy greens like wraps, etc seem to be easier on the wasteline but love chili dogs, Rueben sandwiches and burgers with fries and Pasta. Going out for meals is a challenge so try and keep it down to once a week. Usually need a third more insulin after a meal out than when we eat at home or on the boat because of the additional calories.

I add weight and need more insulin if I don't make it a point to exercise. Try and ride my bike or walk an hour a day at least 4 times a week. Sailing also seems to be good exercise especially long passages. Cut my insulin needs down to almost nothing on my solo TransPac.

So, for me it's not what I eat but how many calories and how much exercise I get that keeps the diabetes at bay. Stopping snacking between meals, eating reasonable amounts at meals and riding my bike, walking, or sailing regularly keeps my weight and diabetes under control. From what I read, somewhat limiting calories and exercising an hour a day would control diabetes, without drugs, in more than a third of the type II diabetics. Think if the diabetics and pre-diabetics got more exercise and cut the calories, the disease wouldn’t be at such an epidemic level.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:29   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Good for you, Peter! The move to insulin can be a wise one, not to be feared because the needles are so fine. (not like in your GI days when needles were square, dull and left a large excavation.) When it was just pills, diet and exercise and readings are not good, a big guilt trip is laid on both patient and cook. Insulin takes out much of the guesswork and, as you say, you need less of it with proper diet and exercise. Keep on educating others as wisely as you are because your been-there experience means a lot.

Tags
recipes