Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 15:52   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
US Navy destroyer collision

Just saw this article:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1972SW

and some aerial footage of the damage to the destroyer here:
???????????????????? ?? ???? | NHK????

How the hell did this happen? With all the damage on the starboard beam of the destroyer, it looks like it failed to give way in a crossing situation. (!??) Obviously, much more info is needed.

But it just reinforces the notion for us cruisers that despite all today's navigational tech, there will be times when no one is looking out for you. . . .

---------------------
U.S. Navy destroyer, Philippines merchant vessel collide off Japan

By Idrees Ali and Tim Kelly | WASHINGTON/TOKYO
The U.S. Navy said on Friday one of its destroyers had collided with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel southwest of Yokosuka, Japan, in the dead of night and that one injured sailor would be evacuated by a Japanese coast guard helicopter.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 16:14   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: US Navy destroyer collision

That's not just damage caused by a brushing, or bumping incident. It looks like they got T-boned. And it has naught to do with navigation, but everything to do with seamanship. A whole line of folks phuked up in order to let something like that transpire. And their careers would now be sunk. This story should be interesting, such as what might the extenuating circumstances have been?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 16:29   #3

The accident happened at night, apparently.
Old 16-06-2017, 16:50   #4

Other reports indicate crewmembers of the Fitzgerald unaccounted for and three compartments flooded. Our prayers are going out for everyone's safety.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 17:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

OOPSIE Daisy!
Old 16-06-2017, 17:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
That's not just damage caused by a brushing, or bumping incident. It looks like they got T-boned. And it has naught to do with navigation, but everything to do with seamanship. A whole line of folks phuked up in order to let something like that transpire. And their careers would now be sunk. This story should be interesting, such as what might the extenuating circumstances have been?
That one is going to be hard to explain at the Court Martial for the Captain. SMH = Shaking My Head

Just looking at the news report, and considering the SOP of a USN vessel, it is hard to imagine any justification for that collision. What an embarrassment this incident is to the USN. SMH

The damage looks substantial, and it is easy to see in the video that if any sailors were in those compartments, it could have been deadly. CRUSH!

Sorry to see it. I hope the sailors are OK.

I respect the Navy and Sailors in it, just hate to see SNAFUs like this tarnish the reputation of the Navy.

Photos shown below are from the news report on Reuters.

This is one where the USN Captain cannot say "Yeah, but you should see the other guy."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USS Fitzgerald.jpg
Views:	2380
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	150021   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Other Guy.jpg
Views:	2028
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	150022  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 17:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Almost unbelievable with all of the detection equipment those ships must have. Alarms turned off?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 17:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was reported yesterday…

A sailor on a USN Cruiser (Shiloh) in the Philippine Sea was reported missing, a big search began (5,000 sq miles), and then a week later he was found ON HIS SHIP.

Strange but true stories…

U.S. Navy Sailor Missing Since June 8 Found Alive Aboard Ship – gCaptain

Excerpt: '"A U.S. Navy sailor who went missing from the USS Shiloh over one week ago and was presumed dead has been found alive aboard the ship, the U.S. Navy said Thursday.

Petty Officer Peter Mims went missing from the USS Shiloh in the Philippine Sea on June 8, prompting a search that lasted 50 hours and involved Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and Japan Coast Guard assets. The search has been suspended since June 11 after covering roughly 5,500 square miles."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 18:28   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This was reported yesterday…

A sailor on a USN Cruiser (Shiloh) in the Philippine Sea was reported missing, a big search began (5,000 sq miles), and then a week later he was found ON HIS SHIP.

Strange but true stories…

U.S. Navy Sailor Missing Since June 8 Found Alive Aboard Ship – gCaptain

Excerpt: '"A U.S. Navy sailor who went missing from the USS Shiloh over one week ago and was presumed dead has been found alive aboard the ship, the U.S. Navy said Thursday.

Petty Officer Peter Mims went missing from the USS Shiloh in the Philippine Sea on June 8, prompting a search that lasted 50 hours and involved Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and Japan Coast Guard assets. The search has been suspended since June 11 after covering roughly 5,500 square miles."
To be fair, he was found hiding in the engine room. Probably with help, along with a decent amount of prior planning & prep. Read stores of food, water, etc. Though as to the why ???

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 18:44   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

A bit more on the USS Fitzgerald collision:

Navy Times reported, “that Auxiliary Machine Room 1 and two crew berthings were completely flooded. Given the late hour, most crewmembers not standing watch would be in the berthing.”
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 18:53   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

NHK reported:

Seven crew members of a US Aegis destroyer are reportedly missing and one is injured following a collision with a Philippine merchant vessel off Izu Peninsula, in central Japan, on Saturday.

The Japan Coast Guard says the Philippine container ship reported a collision with the navy vessel before 2:30 AM.

Coast Guard and US navy officials have identified the Philippine ship as the ACX Crystal. They say it weighs 29,060 tons.

The 8,315-ton USS Fitzgerald has suffered considerable damage to its right side.

See video of exterior damage at: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170617_14/
Old 16-06-2017, 18:55   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some of these large ships have really lousy lighting. I'm not that surprised that one could go unseen, and then, the navy and coast guard cruise around in stealth mode all the time.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 19:07   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Unfortunately it has been my experience with Navy/Warships that safe navigation is not their top priority.

Whether it is USN off of San Diego or Israeli navy ships when in Gulf of Aqaba they do dam foolish maneuvers at close quarters as part of their mindset

Then Justify it in the name of excercises......just dumb!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 20:56   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Some of these large ships have really lousy lighting. I'm not that surprised that one could go unseen, and then, the navy and coast guard cruise around in stealth mode all the time.
Umm, like radar is too 20th century? This is going to be hard to explain. The missing suggests loss of life, which probably means court martial. After all the Fat Leonard news, I'm shocked at the state of our Navy brass. The seamen are suffering because of it, too
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 23:00   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Look up the USS porter incident, the HMS Southhampton vs the Tor Bay, and the HMS Nottingham vs Wolf rock to see some of the finest screw up's. There is a great voice recording of the pathetic bridge resource managment practices on the porter.

Navy ships just dont seem to be able to cope with heavy traffic. Its always funny being on the bridge when a US convoy is in the area, all you can hear on vhf 16 is an increasingly strident and panicked US accented voice desperately trying to raise some poor ship 20 miles away to ascertain its intentions.

I used to ignore them and wait for a couple of helicopters to buzz me, and only when they called me by the ships name would I answer them as per our standing orders. Then the only thing I could say when asked my intentions was that I was going to maintain my course and speed and stay on my side of the TSS. I always wanted to sarcastically reply that I intended a 90 degree course change at the last minute to cut right through the convoy. But I am sure they wouldn't have found that amusing...

Tags
collision, Japan, navy