Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18   #181

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Oyster Yacht in Storm Video

Just my personal view but nobody has a good footage on a sailboat in force 10 becouse after force 9 you don't see a s*** and even less on a video shoot and there's for sure nobody standing on the foredeck in force 10. But as I said it's just IMHO...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 13:31   #182

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks you for sharing this information with us.
Subscribed

(Just being different )
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 15:52   #183

What's the go with people sailing in that kind of weather? I can't be the only numbnuts who was watching those and wanted to know what it felt like to be there and experience it.

The boats all looked to be handling the conditions okay but as mentioned by someone some of the people didn't fair as well.

How does anyone these days actually go and get the experience required to handle those situations while crossing an ocean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:40   #184

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Just my personal view but nobody has a good footage on a sailboat in force 10 becouse after force 9 you don't see a s*** and even less on a video shoot and there's for sure nobody standing on the foredeck in force 10. But as I said it's just IMHO...
Yes unless somebody takes the movie. Look at min 36. Don't know if it is F9 or 10 but the conditions are really bad for the big yacht:

You can be sure that I would only be out on those conditions if I cannot avoid and it happened only once: After a bad night at the wheel keeping the boat almost stationary against the wind without seeing anything but feeling the waves that from time to time crashed over the boat, morning has come and with that an almost completely white sea.

I asked my wife (inside the boat) to grab the camera to point it outside and to take a movie. She looked outside, something strange in her face and almost crying she said: I can't, I cannot look at the waves So, I guess you are right
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 19:06   #185

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerB View Post
What's the go with people sailing in that kind of weather? I can't be the only numbnuts who was watching those and wanted to know what it felt like to be there and experience it.

The boats all looked to be handling the conditions okay but as mentioned by someone some of the people didn't fair as well.

How does anyone these days actually go and get the experience required to handle those situations while crossing an ocean?

Move to New Zealand
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 22:53   #186

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerB View Post

Its a bit of a boiling frog thing... but the frog just gets boiled and thats it.

For the rest of us..? We just suddenly realise 'this isn't the way it it is shown in the brochures'...and you deal with it... or not.
Old 12-03-2016, 23:16   #187

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes unless somebody takes the movie. Look at min 36. Don't know if it is F9 or 10 but the conditions are really bad for the big yacht:

You can be sure that I would only be out on those conditions if I cannot avoid and it happened only once: After a bad night at the wheel keeping the boat almost stationary against the wind without seeing anything but feeling the waves that from time to time crashed over the boat, morning has come and with that an almost completely white sea.

I asked my wife (inside the boat) to grab the camera to point it outside and to take a movie. She looked outside, something strange in her face and almost crying she said: I can't, I cannot look at the waves So, I guess you are right

WOW ! cool video.

Question for mono experts: only crewed, proper weight distributed mono can sail against wind/seas like this ?

1 person operation somehow cant see how can be done.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 23:18   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That is Sydney Hobart footage... of little relevance to 'cruisers'.....
Old 12-03-2016, 23:47   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That is Sydney Hobart footage... of little relevance to 'cruisers'.....
The thread is about sailing conditions, in which case its got every relevance.
Old 12-03-2016, 23:49   #190

Boat: LAGOON 400

another question: what if boat capsizes 180 deg? What does crew do ? Cant go inside as all doors are closed, i guess.

Hold breath and hope it will do 360 deg within next 1 minute?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 23:52   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
WOW ! cool video.

Question for mono experts: only crewed, proper weight distributed mono can sail against wind/seas like this ?

1 person operation somehow cant see how can be done.
You need to keep in mind that these are large racing boats. You cannot 'solo' them. But, solo sailors certainly can and frequently do come through such conditions. The boat has to be set up for one person.
Old 13-03-2016, 00:10   #192

Quote:
For the rest of us..? We just suddenly realise 'this isn't the way it it is shown in the brochures'...and you deal with it... or not.

Yeah that's where I find it most interesting, you just deal with it when you find yourself in that situation. Potential problem if you aren't super experienced and dealing with those kinds of conditions

Old 13-03-2016, 00:48   #193

Boat: 45ft Ketch

My 2nd trip the skipper was very experienced sailer but no experience in force 10, his only back-up on the helm was a 74 yr old novice with a little force 9 helm experience. As Penguino says he "just dealt with it" with the novice helping out. Having a heavy mono helps.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:13   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The thread is about sailing conditions, in which case its got every relevance.
Rollocks...
no cruiser would be sailing or going upwind as shown in those vids... cruisers would be going down hill with a #3 storm jib up and sitting downstairs tucking into a lamb roast..

but what would I know....
Old 13-03-2016, 03:15   #195

Quote:
Rollocks...

no cruiser would be sailing or going upwind as shown in those vids... cruisers would be going down hill with a #3 storm jib up and sitting downstairs tucking into a lamb roast..

but what would I know....

Apparently how to make a lamb roast while underway!

Tags
oyster, yacht