Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 21:46   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Re: Just had my first lesson on my boat

Didn't read the whole message lol. However, many boaties and sailors have the attitude that you are crazy if you buy a sailing boat/yacht and have no idea how to sail.
Don't listen to them lol. Everyone us different and believe it or not, there are actually people who are completely self taught. Not one single lesson. I myself had one, one hour lesson when I bought my first yacht. I do not like sailing lessons and not interested in mud week sailing groups etc. Sure, it can be a challenge, however if you are confident, competent and are able to effectively think about and evaluate what you are doing, and can also read lol. Then you absolutely do not need any formal lessons in sailing. I am still here, so is my yacht. 😁😂😃
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 21:53   #32

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

While you may think you're unique in your endeavor,let me assure you,you have many kindred souls. I grew up a cowboy,on a cutting horse farm in North Ga,and got my first sailboat at the age of 50. I believe you'll find,every day is a learning experience. Just yesterday, I woke up to a 35 ft Saber anchored dangerously close to me. As I was rowing to shore,I ran into the owner,who explained, that he had drug anchor during the night. He bought the boat in Maryland, and sailed it to Tampa, after 2 lessons ! I guess what I'm saying is,welcome to the club. Fair winds my friend !
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 03:20   #33

Boat: Oceanis 42CC

After having a Hobie 16 for a few years, we took our RYA day sailor which took two weeks of a residential course. That gave is enough confidence to buy a 42ft Oceanis. We now spend 3 months a year onboard and we have not YET grounded or had a bad docking experience. Every teacher is different but i would thoroughly recommend some tuition if you starting from no experience. Our experience was a very good one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
squirty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 06:20   #34

To get used to wind direction, try practising when you're off the boat as well. When I am teaching sailing I suggest to the students for homework they should try to look for the wind direction many times every day. It becomes an automatic action surprisingly soon. Doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing - at home, work, the office, out shopping or gardening
olivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:19   #35

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepanger View Post
Do you have any friends that sail if not join a club talk to sailers in your Marina many years ago when I first went into my Marina a man walked up to me and asked me if I was looking for crew (kidding around) I invited him out for sail finding out that he is an extremely accomplished sailor and I'm still learning from him I think you'll find that most sailors would be more than willing to be helpful and sharing what they've learned and how they do things

Even if you do teach yourself, sailing with experienced sailors will give you validation, confidence and almost all of the are very encouraging!

Tags
boat