Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 10:33   #316

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Great thoughts people. Keep them coming.
Foolishsailor, I'm not very computer savvy and have never been of Facebook but I understand that it's become a pretty powerful force these days.
I hope someone will take that idea and run with it.
Thanks
Steve
Old 27-07-2012, 10:36   #317

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Craigs List, facebook, twitter

You need a snazzy title and pic and hope it goes viral.

"help save an old salt". or some such.

. When speaking to the news feel free to exagerate.

and then tell them there is international interest and support for this event.

Old 27-07-2012, 10:39   #318
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Knothead, I wish you luck but urge caution among the volunteers. If you have a dozen different "haul" ropes all trying to pull the boat seaward at the same time, the odds are fairly high that the weakest one will snap--and come straight back at whoever it is attached to. Make sure they are all aware that this is LIKELY to happen, and they stay in safe locations.

I'll rashly assume there will be qualified riggers there, and that they tie around the hull, rather than to pieces that might snap off it. Maybe you can get West or someone to donate some spools of heavy line.

Presumably someone will remember to ring up the local rescue squad, to have one standing by just in case.

Remember to also ring up the press, get some videos going. Some local dive shops might also get you some divers to keep digging under the keel, trying to free that up. Or at least, to get good video without water problems. August is called "Silly Season" in the Nooze business, and this counts as an outright specticle that's probably going to get air time. (And PR the day before, it you let them know.)
Old 27-07-2012, 10:56   #319

Boat: Beneteau 393

Have free food and water/soda for the volunteers. It is amazing what a free burger or hotdog from the grill will do to attract a crowd.

Frank
Old 27-07-2012, 11:16   #320

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I will put it on my Facebook page, I have People in the USA I correspond with.

August 1st, Wednesday at 10-00 AM,

But I need the actual address there please,

Gulfport beach, Where,

Cheers,
Brian.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:18   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Knothead, I wish you luck but urge caution among the volunteers. If you have a dozen different "haul" ropes all trying to pull the boat seaward at the same time, the odds are fairly high that the weakest one will snap--and come straight back at whoever it is attached to. Make sure they are all aware that this is LIKELY to happen, and they stay in safe locations.

I'll rashly assume there will be qualified riggers there, and that they tie around the hull, rather than to pieces that might snap off it. Maybe you can get West or someone to donate some spools of heavy line.

Presumably someone will remember to ring up the local rescue squad, to have one standing by just in case.

Remember to also ring up the press, get some videos going. Some local dive shops might also get you some divers to keep digging under the keel, trying to free that up. Or at least, to get good video without water problems. August is called "Silly Season" in the Nooze business, and this counts as an outright specticle that's probably going to get air time. (And PR the day before, it you let them know.)
I won't take offense at the qualified rigger comment.
Your cautions and ideas are well taken Hello. Thanks. I will take them to heart.
I do indeed plan to contact as many news outlets as possible. It's my hope that the entire marine industry here in town as well as the local community will, (no pun intended) pull together in a spirit of cooperation.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:22   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I will put it on my Facebook page, I have People in the USA I correspond with.

August 1st, Wednesday at 10-00 AM,

But I need the actual address there please,

Gulfport beach, Where,

Cheers,
Brian.
Thanks Brian.

City of Gulfport, Florida

Geo, I have been in contact with a very gracious CF member who I believe might help me coordinate that.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:24   #323
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Great thoughts people. Keep them coming.
Foolishsailor, I'm not very computer savvy and have never been of Facebook but I understand that it's become a pretty powerful force these days.
I hope someone will take that idea and run with it.
Thanks
Steve
Knot - get me the details you want on the flyer. Here's a first pass:

Old 27-07-2012, 11:36   #324
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Please read the whole thread.................
That's mean
Old 27-07-2012, 11:38   #325

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

That's mean
And i even reduced it from a rant!!!
Old 27-07-2012, 11:40   #326

Boy, that looks great Smack. Awesome.

I can't think of much to add except perhaps asking everyone to bring whatever extra gear. Line, anchors, pumps etc. that they can scrape up. And to show up early in the day. The boat must be on her side and everything set up by noon.
The more boats that show up the better too.
I think, by what you've come up with already that you would be much better qualified than I as to content.

Are you suggesting that someone start a new thread? I like the title if so.
"Pitch in and help". Works for me.

How does this work? can the flyer be emailed to a local printer here?

On a separate note, I can't help but note the difference in interest in this between the two forums so far. Not drawing any conclusions though.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:52   #327
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Boy, that looks great Smack. Awesome.

I can't think of much to add except perhaps asking everyone to bring whatever extra gear. Line, anchors, pumps etc. that they can scrape up. And to show up early in the day. The boat must be on her side and everything set up by noon.
The more boats that show up the better too.
I think, by what you've come up with already that you would be much better qualified than I as to content.

Are you suggesting that someone start a new thread? I like the title if so.
"Pitch in and help". Works for me.

How does this work? can the flyer be emailed to a local printer here?

On a separate note, I can't help but note the difference in interest in this between the two forums so far. Not drawing any conclusions though.
Yes - I think it should be a new thread dedicated solely to the effort on Wednesday. The flyer can be the first post - along with the information about what people need to bring, etc. That way there is no need for interested people to dig through all the crap in this thread. It's just about getting info on how to help.

As for a printable version of this, email me (I'll pm you my email address) a full-res version of the photo and I'll make up a print res pdf for your printer. Send me an email address for the printer and I'll coordinate with them so you don't have to (any printers in the area that would do a pro-bono?)

As for the additional info, we should probably keep the flyer short and sweet. We can save the additional information (e.g. - what to bring, etc.) for the thread so you can coordinate there.

Some specific questions...

Is 0800 correct for the time for people to begin showing up?
Is "Gulfport, Florida area" correct? Do we need to be any more precise?
Is there a number people should call - or do we just want to drive them to the forums for information?
Any other suggestions from members?
Old 27-07-2012, 11:55   #328

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I stuck that piccy, Help a sailor, on my Facebook page, With a bit of extra info I got off here, I hope it helps,

At least its a start,
Cheers,
Brian,
Old 27-07-2012, 12:01   #329

I read the start, then skipped to the end.

Without doing psychoanalysis on Jay... there's a problem (beached boat) and like many engineering-types, I like to find straightforward problems, and solve them.

So I'm totally interested in how to physically extract that boat with the minimum effort and no damage to the boat. I see the process as some combination of careening the boat WHILE excavating the land-side of the keel (high-pressure water + suction, or that water-squirting rod someone mentioned earlier) . And then pulling her out to deeper water. You'd think a Florida dredger would have all that sort of equipment.

And of course, if you could get a big enough crane on the beach, and within reach, problem solved. We crane over 350 boats annually at our yacht club. In and out.

knothead rocks. Best of luck to you, and may Capt. Jay simultaneously salvage what's left of his life.

(and if you were just a bit closer, I'd come out)
Old 27-07-2012, 12:06   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yes - I think it should be a new thread dedicated solely to the effort on Wednesday. The flyer can be the first post - along with the information about what people need to bring, etc. That way there is no need for interested people to dig through all the crap in this thread. It's just about getting info on how to help.

As for a printable version of this, email me (I'll pm you my email address) a full-res version of the photo and I'll make up a print res pdf for your printer. Send me an email address for the printer and I'll coordinate with them so you don't have to (any printers in the area that would do a pro-bono?)

As for the additional info, we should probably keep the flyer short and sweet. We can save the additional information (e.g. - what to bring, etc.) for the thread so you can coordinate there.

Some specific questions...

Is 0800 correct for the time for people to begin showing up?
Is "Gulfport, Florida area" correct? Do we need to be any more precise?
Is there a number people should call - or do we just want to drive them to the forums for information?
Any other suggestions from members?
0800 would be a great time for people to show up.
I think I would say Gulfport Beach
I will email you my cell number with the photo. (if I can figure out how to email a full res photo)

I agree with you about the new thread. This one is getting pretty long.
Would you or someone else start it? I will be happy to reply, but I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to blow my own horn.

It looks like I need to start calling some print shops.

You're the greatest Smack.

Tags
yacht