Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08   #16

Boat: Sabre 30
Re: Anchor types and General questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I was turned off by the significant quality differences between Mantis and Rocna, but I might be overly cautious.

This is a good, but biased, overview:
About the Manson Supreme Anchor
dirtloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Mantus Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
What about a Rocna (Mantus) look alike?

https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-Gal...XY/?th=1&psc=1
Rocna came onto the market first.

Mantus came onto the market a few years ago and took the Rocna design to a new level.

The Mantus anchor has:

1) More tip weight and that is why it sets in hard sand and grass beds better.

2) The Mantus anchor has also shown that it can set / re-set on shorter scope down to 2-1 successfully.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:28   #18

Boat: Sabre 30
Re: Mantus Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Rocna came onto the market first.

Mantus came onto the market a few years ago and took the Rocna design to a new level.

The Mantus anchor has:

2) The Mantus anchor has also shown that it can set / re-set on shorter scope down to 2-1 successfully.
I wonder if people are confusing Manson and Mantus. Manson anchors are definitely cheaper clones of better designs, the Mantus is anything but.
dirtloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I seek the experience of you guys to help me make a new anchor choice. I had a Spade anchor which was OK until I recently had an incident that destroyed the "arm" (I don't know the proper term). I called spade and a replacement is $400 for just that piece, so I have started looking at alternatives. I see a wide array of types and prices and wanted some opinions and experience.

Mantus is my desired anchor at about $500.

CQR anchors are $350 new, see them on Craigslist for $75

A delta style anchor on ebay for about $120 New 44 lb 20 kg Galvanized Steel Delta Style Boat Anchor Boats from 38-48 feet | eBay

Any thoughts on a used CQR or on the ebay anchor?

FYI 43 ft. Hunter as pictured to the left
Buy a replacement Steel Spade it's the best choice and get the $75 CQR to have as a backup if it's a Lewmar.

We had an oversized Rocna on our Hunter 450 which held fine, but had other issues like always bringing up a bunch of bottom crud which gets old fast. Weed balls, mud balls etc. which lead me to doubt it's ability to reset if it pulled out... which happened to me once off Long Beach CA. The Mantus is a Rocna copy.

Here's what we use:

Primary- oversized Ultra 45kg which is fantastic. But your Spade is very similar.

Secondary/kedge- Fortress 55 which came with the boat.

Backup- 75lb CQR which came with the boat.

I'd trade both the Fortress and the CQR for a Spade or second Ultra in a heartbeat if I could find someone foolish enough.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:34   #20

Community Sponsor

Re: Mantus Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
I wonder if people are confusing Manson and Mantus. Manson anchors are definitely cheaper clones of better designs, the Mantus is anything but.
Rocna then Manson (COPY)

Then Mantus Anchors a few years ago taking Rocna up to a new level.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060020.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	147608   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060024.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	147609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060035.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	147610  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:41   #21

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

That Ultra is pretty
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
That Ultra is pretty
Expensive in the USA, not so much so the closer you get to Turkey. About half the price in Spain where we purchased ours compared to the US.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:00   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anchor types and General questions

Funny that people still carry and swear by CQRs at a time when the new gen anchors are so clearly superior. My local consignment shop has CQRs lined up outside the store. They don't even bother to carry them inside at night.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:11   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Funny that people still carry and swear by CQRs at a time when the new gen anchors are so clearly superior. My local consignment shop has CQRs lined up outside the store. They don't even bother to carry them inside at night.
And even funnier is that marina clubhouse boards people will be trying to sell a used CQR 35# for $350.

I have a 60# Manson Supreme and in 7 years it has never dragged during some nasty blows!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And even funnier is that marina clubhouse boards people will be trying to sell a used CQR 35# for $350.

I have a 60# Manson Supreme and in 7 years it has never dragged during some nasty blows!
You were smart to buy oversized.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16   #26

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Same goes for Delta plow anchors or any Plow anchor for that matter.

My boat came with 2 Delta 45 LBS anchors last year and I removed them ASAP.

Tried to sell them on Craig's list and eBay with absolutely no luck at all.

I gave both of them away here on the CF with a note to only use them to hold the tarp down on the wood pile.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2243341
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 11:23   #27

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If the incident was not anchoring related and the spade was doing the job, why are you changing? If the incident was anchoring related, and the "arm" was destroyed, the question is did the anchor still hold or not, and either way, was this incident one which would/should lead to an anchor type switch. The choice is, of course, yours, but your question will probably draw the usual range replies which tend to focus on the owner's own vessel, anchor and anchoring experience, sailing area, friends, reading material, and advertising gullibility. You should consider yours, not the best writer's. Anchors and anchoring are always a hot button issue.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:31   #28

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
If the incident was not anchoring related and the side was doing the job, why are you changing? If the incident was anchoring related, and the "arm" was destroyed, the question is did the anchor still hold or not, and either way, was this incident one which would/should lead to an anchor type switch. The choice is, of course, yours, but your question will probably draw the usual replies which tend to focus on the owners own vessel, anchor experience, sailing area, friends, reading material, and advertising gullibility. You should consider yours. Anchors and anchoring are always a hot button issue.
I agree and was just soliciting some general thoughts, mostly with the cheepo's until I can really buy what I want. I have decided it's just not worth it. As far as the incident, it was anchoring related. Middle of the night 180 degree shift, 45 plus knot winds and 8-12 ft seas on the windward side of an island. Bad spot to be in. Mate didn't do as trained and jammed the winch which left me stuck in a bad spot so I ran out and broke it free to get to deeper water where I could deal with the problem more safely. The spade performed well at that instance, but I have had hell getting it to set and it has dragged on me a few times in much less harsh conditions. That's why I am really not that attached to it. I am about 50/50 fixing the spade or replacing with Mantus.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:46   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

plough Anchors always lay on one side an are only 50% effective except the Delta which goes in correctly due to its shaft.

I vote them below
1 Jambo = mine
2 Danforth
3 Mantis
4 Rocna
5 Delta

Vote is by the fact that I avoid anchoring on other grounds than sand or mud. the Jambo is a good thing if weed is on the bed
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:03   #30

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I will also be replacing my anchor and am thus in the same situation as the original post. I am leaning towards a Rocna. However, why would one choose as Vulcan as apposed to a Rocna or vice versa? In as much as there are anchors that definitely do not function well, just like my existing CQR, are there anchors that are deemed exceptionally good / the best performing? I appreciate that it is a controversial question in as much as is subjective. However, the opinion of the many old salts who know better will be appreciated.
My reason for the Vulcan over the Rollbar Rocna was quite simply the size of RB Rocna I was looking at wouldn't fit between my windlass and roller whereas the Vulcan would. Same with the Mantus, which I admit was my first choice, and I wasn't prepared to drop weight as I want a bow anchor that will hold me in the worst conditions I can imagine (having survived a hurricane on an oil rig in the GoM I can imagine the worst) and not have to bugger about dropping secondary anchors or kedges in a blow.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor