Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2008, 15:23   #1

Old Sailor, New Responsiblities

Hello fellow sailors, I sail the Chesepeake and am a newly appointed Fleet Captain of our very small yacht club. I probably need lots of help to pull this off. I have sailed all my life (my father was a crazy, haphazard (sp) sailor of Lake Ontario and my husband and I have put 20 years in on a Morgan 45' bare hulled boat that sailed the Chesepeake. Can anyone identify with the duties of a fleet captain. I know that I am responsible for choosing locations, weather, balancing boat configurations in anchoring postions, also, I have to keep track of dock fees, and sponsoring new additions (advertising) for new boats. Does anyone have a clue what I am doing??? LOL Diane
Janddhager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 15:42   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Nope! But having been commodore on several occasions, the job will find you and you will endure. I am quite sure you are up to the challenges of the job, or they wouldn't have given it to you. Just remember consider each problem as one and don't get bogged down, stay out of the club's politics, and most of all, delegate, delegate, delegate.
Best wishes for a fruitful year. It will be over before you think.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 16:13   #3

OMG, thanks for the quick response. I just need alot of support. Le Commodore ! Thanks, Diane
Old 15-12-2008, 16:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Janddhanger and welcome to the Cruisers Forum.

We've just spent the last year getting our programs back together. We have Keelboats, beach cats and dinghys. We didn't have much going on but we had a strong social secretary to help.

We started a Friday's members night, a bi-weekly keelboat twilight race, kids programs in dinghy's and we have the largest cat fleet going. We have done flotilla trips to Malaysia, local Kampong villages and floating fish farms.

Most everything we started for members was cheap. The twilight races started with a pot luck afterwards and everyone brought a prepared dish or something for the BBQ grill. Now we have the club caterer do the BBQ and Brewerkz sponsor's a keg. Sometimes we get 70 members at teh twilight BBQ and members come just for the BBQ.

For us it is about the sailing so find some people really, really keen and get a schedule together. People like order. When we started the twilight races we often had 2 boats (ours and the sailing commodore) and now we average 8 with our max being 15 one night.

Throw out some ideas here and we can kick the can around. We sort of sailing area do you have ? What sort of facilities do yiou have? How active is the membership and how many boats?

I'd be glad to share more of our activites.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 11:05   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Diane,
Welcome aboard!
Having been nearly everything in yacht clubs over the past 40 years, (they were smart never to let me Treasurer) the first place I'd look for responsibilities is in the by-laws or rules of the club. If it isn't spelled out there then it will be your responsibility to make your own rules with the help of your current Commodore.
Our Fleet Captains are responsible for each of the classes of boats that we have. So our Sunfish Fleet Captain should make certain they are maintained properly, stored properly, registered on time and used in a responsible manner. Each area of concern should be taken to the board meeting and presented along with a recommendation and a request for funds to take care of it. The Fleet Captains of our moored boats have different problems but the same attentiveness and procedures are taken care of in the same manner.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 12:09   #6

Thanks for all the good suggests and I aspecially like the suggestion about staying out of politics. Yes, I will look in the by-law's and I do have a good relationship with the previous fleet captain. We are a mixture of 28' to 40 something' powerboats and sailboats and surprise, we all get along. LOL We have about 50 members and a leased club house at a marina near Solomon's Island on the Chesepeake Bay. We have 1 land activities and 1 cruise plans per month. We have been actively recruiting and have put in a great deal of time holding alot parties at the docks for new people, but it hasn't been that successful. Between the gas prices and the economy I don't hold my breathe. Were a pretty casual club and most of us don't have kids (in fact we have alot of retirees) Last summer we were all conserving gas and rifted out at local gunkholes. Diane
Old 17-12-2008, 13:05   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Diane,
Having been involved with several different clubs over the years I've determined that each is a lot different and responsibilities for their officers is much different.
For example, our club has lots of donated boats to use and many new sailors so our emphasis is on sail training and safety so our new sailors can use the boats. Other clubs I've belonged to are basicaly a social club for people who own their own boats with monthly get togethers, parties and occassional races. Another club is strictly racing with a monthly potluck.
The Hilo Yacht Club (not my club) in our area is a club for people who like fine dining, tennis and swimming and is a social club. They own no boats and very few of the members know what a boat is but they have a great restaurant.
Here's our website to give you an idea of what we're about. www.hilo-sailing.org

Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote