Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14   #1

Boat: Uniflite, Sport Sedan 32FT - PATRIOT
Not just a dream

I just came across this board the other day, I've been searching for a forum just like this. My wife and I live in the Puget Sound and currently own a 32ft Uniflite sport sedan. We have that on the market and are looking to switch over to a sail boat, but not just any boat. We also have our house for sale and plan on living on our next boat (we currently spend more time on the one we have now than we spend at our land based home). We have been looking in the 45 to 47ft range, and leaning towards a center cockpit design. Our intentions are to live aboard for approx 5yrs until we have the boat paid for than we are going to pull the plug (maybe a bad term to use) and start a cruising lifestyle. Certainly that will take us from Alaska to Mexico and the Caribbean, with the possibility of the South Sea Islands. We are looking for a boat that will be a good liveaboard, coastal cruiser and be able to tackle blue water if we choose. I have looked at a couple of late 70's 47ft Gulfstar Sailmasters, center cockpit, high deck. Great liveaboard without a doubt, but I have concerns about the vulnerability of the windows in severe weather. I am open and looking for suggestions on makes and models that would fit my description above. Price range I’m looking at is 100 to 150k. I eagerly await the multitude of opinions I know are out there.
jbthehut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:58   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I always suggest sites such as yachtworld.com to do some comparisons. You can see all of the boat, and get some idea of what you would really like in your price range. I am sure you can find something that will make you happy in your budget......BEST WISHES in your search.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 13:06   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
I know what you are talking about . It took me two years of research to find the "one" . . I end it up with Tayana . This are an excellent boats for the $$$$. Built for the offshore work . There are a few owners in the PNW . My Tayana is 42 Vancouver center cockpit . They are very roomy inside. There will be four of us living on her for a few years and we really don't need anything bigger than that.
Regards, Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 13:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Certainly that will take us from Alaska to Mexico and the Caribbean, with the possibility of the South Sea Islands. We are looking for a boat that will be a good liveaboard, coastal cruiser and be able to tackle blue water if we choose.
Unfortunately you are describing a boat that does everything. It's almost impossible to do everything well. being a liveaboard has it's own problems. It means it has to hold everything you own and that tends to fill the boat totally. being a blue water boat means it has to endure harder stress. Doing both of those means you need a very stout boat.

Taking a trip to YachtWorld.Com would help you see what is out there. I think you need to think in terms of total costs and that is a lot harder than just a purchase price. Over time what you paid for the boat is not as important as what you will pay over time. It's all your money. Larger boats significantly adds to all the rest of the costs and the costs of maintaining. A fully loaded Gulfstar from the 1970's really is not going to be up for a Pacific crossing assuming you were ready as well. 1970's boats are a lot cheaper but a while the hull may be fine (it it ever was) most everything attached is quite old and replacement costs quickly eat all your savings and more. Rebuilding a boat from the inside out is very expensive. Something a little newer that has had work already done is going to save you more up front costs.

We get a lot of "which boat" requests and they really are quite difficult to answer. It takes some time for you to understand how the money parts work and it takes more time to gain enough sailing skill to be able to understand the boat characteristics required for the many things you might do. Since you might not actually do everything it matters a great deal what you actually would do. It becomes a process you grow into rather than just an answer.

You can find a lot of the discussions here but they won't be about you. They may give you more to think about and that may expand the depth of your conversation as you grow along. I like to say there are no wrong boats just the wrong people in them. People seem to fear picking the wrong boat most of all. I don't really know why that is but the process is more about you than it is the boat. It's supposed to be that way. You are far more important than the boat. Taking that into consideration first makes sure the most important part is not ignored.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 16:05   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha JB,
Welcome aboard! Its good to have you here and asking about certain boats and features. My opinion is always to go smaller than what your looking at and I don't care for center cockpits but that's just one opinion.
I hope others will chime in to help in your decision. There are plenty of folks who like the same features you do and can help you find the boat of your dreams.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 16:39   #6

Boat: Uniflite, Sport Sedan 32FT - PATRIOT
The point was well made that I was describing a boat that can do it all, but really I know better. But I do want to be sure to buy one that will give me some flexability, even if it means compromise in some areas to enable others. We may find that coastal cruising will be all that we need, but just in case...... I want the option open to venture into blue water.
jbthehut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 19:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbthehut View Post
But I do want to be sure to buy one that will give me some flexability, even if it means compromise in some areas to enable others.
I think the trade-off are something like this -

Solid at sea and anchor = less speed heavy displacement
Fast = less displacement, less beam, longer LOW
Easy to handle - simpler sailplan or reliance on systems (furlers etc.)
Cheaper = older, needs more work

I am sure there are others but really the simple to handle/speed/solidness relationship really defines a lot of boats.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote