Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 16:04   #1

Thumbs up New Member - Planning a Med Trip

Hi,

New member planning to move to the med for a year to live on a 55 ft power boat with my wife, my 12 year old son, and our dog.

Would appreciate, any, all comments, advice etc

Thanks,

Brian
bcoryat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 16:36   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back in the 60s, a "med trip" was a common occurrence at the college I went to.

I'm just kidding around, bcoryat. Welcome to Cruisers Forum - glad you've come aboard.

There are lots of knowledgeable people at Cruisers Forum who will try to help you in any way they can. Take some time and look the site over. You'll find most questions have already been answered, in some fashion or other.

If you have the time, why not go to the Meets & Greets Forum and let us know more about you: Experience, hopes, dreams, plans etc. The friendly members here would like to have a chance to get to know you better and welcome you to the Forum.

TaoJones
Old 20-07-2009, 16:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Details! There is a tremendous amount of planning that starts to reveal itself when you consider where you might go and what you might do. Then add to that the possible weather predictions that you really should check every day and evening. There is the budget as even rich people have one. Being familiar with the details lets you have the freedom to choose the options as presented. Failure means you get what is delt. That is not the percentage in your favor.

You need places that work and things to do and enjoyable experiences. In the background it's operating a boat and making the technical issues not be the high point of any daily discussion. Dogs are easier than sons. Should the dog turn on you it's a sign things are not going well enough.

If there are places you have questions about we have members every where. In your preparations we have vast technical libraries and even experts from time to time. This really is about planning and preparation as no one can take on a dog and a son vs the Med alone.

I would suggest you stack the deck in key ports just in case you get some rough spots. It's always nice to fall back on a sure thing. Minimize risks and don't forget - it is all supposed to be fun. Some things are fun because of who you are with. It would be great if you had a lot of that. You still need a depth meter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 08:21   #4

Thanks for the reply, sounds like great advice.

What ports would you (or others) recommend?

Over the year, we're thinking about Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Italy, France and Spain.

I think we may stay in Spain for the winter months (D,J,F) and get an apartment in Granada. My wife is from there.

Thanks again for the help

Brian
Old 21-07-2009, 09:04   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
We have and are doing this ( on a 42 power boat)

Firstly, on a 55ft power boat the diesel costs will be huge diesel in Europe is running around 1.10 to 1.30euros a litre about 4 to 4.8 euros a us gallon ( ie 5.5 to 6.5 dollars a gallon). at marina refeuelling points ( as opposed to 99euro cents to 1.20 at the roadside).So this can be a huge bill. I my experience, the powerboat gets put in a permanent berth, cruised around to the next bay for swimming and sunbathing and returns back to the marina at night, anything else is too expensive.

Secondly getting a berth can be a nightmare especially France, The western med in particular gets chock a block in June-Aug. ANd its harder the bigger the boat gets, currently in France/Italy they are charging about upto 100 euros a night for a 55 footer. look for berths 6 months before you need them ( ie long term stay berths).

Spain is a bit cheaper for berths.

Remember if you are non-EU citizen you will only be able to spend 3 months in any 6 in total in all the EU countries particpating in the Schengen border agreeement, this includes all the EU med countries. if your boat is non_EU it can stay in the EU for 18 months max before VAT is due. Note also that if you stay in any specific EU country for more then 182 days you will become a tax resident of that country which can have implications especially in Spain.

If you are moving for a long time ( ie a year ) then you obviously have the long term visa thing worked out and you can bring in your possesions ( if that includes the boat) on a TOR basis ( transfer of residence) however this is hard to do if the boat isyour only residence as many EU countries find that difficult to acccept as a domestic full time residence.

Though I'm biased, in my view east med france is the best , First world amenities, faboulous food, ( and ingredients) brillinat health service, cheap public transport and charming people ( and next to italy which is great). Berths expensive though

Theres lots more to this so ask away
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 10:33   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Hope you enjoy the forum. Its a great place for good information.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 17:10   #7

Preferred ports in the med / route

I'd appreciate knowing some opinions on preferred ports and harbors in the med.
If I need to book in advance, I'll need to figure this out.

I'd also like to get opinions on routes if we need to winter in Granada (wife's family)

I think the plan would be to stay out of France and Spain for the summer. (crowds).

My initial thinking is
July August either the Adriatic or Corsica
September Start heading towards Spain to Arrive in October.
Spend winter months (N,D,J,F) in Spain, maybe drydock the boat and get an apartment in Granada.
In March don't know.

Question: If we fly to Florida for Christmas does that get our clock started over as far as a visa goes?

Thanks in advance for all your help
Old 21-07-2009, 18:21   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I'd appreciate knowing some opinions on preferred ports and harbors in the med.
If I need to book in advance, I'll need to figure this out.
Thats a bit of a length of string, you really need to do a rough passage plan and narrow down the areas to visit, What type of Mobo is it , whats are its average speed and range. For overnight or short visits you could just try turning up , however in peak summer thats a chancey business, You could be forced to anchor out, is the boat set up for that.

Quote:
think the plan would be to stay out of France and Spain for the summer. (crowds).
Everywhere in european Med is crowded in the summer, even turkey in the main centres, Bodrum,marmaris, gocek gets crowded, its just a fact of life. However its managable( just)

Quote:
September Start heading towards Spain to Arrive in October
You risk quite a beating from the mistral etc that late especially transisting the Gulf of Lyon

Quote:
Question: If we fly to Florida for Christmas does that get our clock started over as far as a visa goes?
If you are a US citizen then you will not specifically need a visa, but you are still subject to the regulations, ie 90 days in every 180, so if you spend 3 months in the EU -Med then you are supposed to leave for another 3 months. ( ie go outside the Schengen countries , ie most of teh EU). You could risk overstaying as Spain has taken a tolerent view of US visitors staying upto 6 months , but its a risk Greece has taken a tough view on overstays and so has italy from time to time.

I dont know what experience you have or whether you have a crew/Skipper etc. But your plan seems very ambitious for a mobo. I would suggest exploring a smaller area, There is so much to see even in a 100 mile strech of say french or Italian coatline that would quite happily occupy a whole summer exploring , not to mentiomn side trips inland. France and Italy and to some extent croatia have marinas and ports within easy day sail ( infact within 1-2 hours in some cases). I wouldnt try an rush from the eastern med to spain in one summer.

As for over wintering near Granda, theres plenty of choice, Almeria, Malaga, etc all the way to Gib, plenty of choice
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:35   #9

Thumbs up Revising the Med Plan

Thanks for all the input that sent me back to the drawing board. Quite a few ideas have changed and will continue to change until I figure out the proper direction. Again, I greatly appreciate any help with the planning.

-------------
THE CRUISING AREA
I've trimmed down the cruise plan quite a bit. Since we've already toured Italy, France, and Spain extensively. We will target the eastern med. Specifically Croatia, Greece, and Turkey. These also seem to be the most interesting to me from the water. It also appears that there are lots of good hiding places from the weather.

THE VESSEL
I am choosing a power boat because 1) I've owned various my whole life, and am very comfortable with them 2) We plan to spend the majority of our time in harbors and anchorages. I am considering finding a boat already in the Med as it will be set up for med mooring systems, electricity, VAT etc. It seems that staying below 15 meters is a plus as that seems to be a common cuttoff on boat size for many marinas. Still big enough for our purpose (live aboard). I'm thinking 49ft, 3 state room with bowthruster, watermaker, generator, ac, fridge, washer.

THE CRUISE PLAN
That is a big question in my mind at this point and is where I can use the most help. I need to better understand the weather patterns in the area. Our entire trip at this point is from July to July. Do we start in Croatia and work our way down to Turkey because of the heat? Do the Meltami wind affect the adriatic or just the Bora? As a starting point, July and August in Zadar, Split, and Dubrovnic? Booked mooring in advance and doing day and multiday trips based on weather? September in Greece, Leave the boat in Greece, drydocked with a repair list to return in the spring.
Fly to Spain for Oct,Nov, Dec. Florida for Christmas and January. Spain in February and back to the boat in March. April, May, June, In Greece and Turkey. Again REALLY depends on the weather.

QUESTIONS;
Can anyone point me in the proper direction to get education about the weather?

Best place to buy a boat in the area?

Do I need some type of document that qualifies me to captain the vessel?

Is the dog a reality even if he's been around boats alot?

Specifically what harbor would be recommended along this coast?

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 06-08-2009, 17:05   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum, good luck on your med plans.
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote