Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 05:03   #1

Hi! from So. California....new member....

Hi, my name is Dana. I have a 1977 Cape Dory 25 sloop which my wife and I have completely refinished. Now I'm planning on a voyage south along the Baja Coast of Mexico, across the Sea of Cortez and down to Puerto Vallarta later this year. My boat sailed from Seattle to Alaska then down to San Diego so I'm pretty sure she can make the trip. Even though I've been sailing since '89 I've gotten a bit older and hope I can now make the trip, too!!!!

Fair winds.....
mexsailor
mexsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:19   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Hey Mex..where in California? we are in Wilmington and Catalina is our destination. In a past life on a 28, my partner and his wife did a similar trip as you describe. They were in our Colombia 28. Going was fine, coming back was miserable. They made it back as far as Oceanside. Left the boat and got a divorce. Me and my wife had to go down to retrieve the boat. I would stay in American waters for a while. Things are not well down that way. We have wonderful Islands to explore here in sunny Calif.
Anjinsan
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:20   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome Mexsailor:

Maybe we'll see you somewhere along the way. Our boat is cuurently in SD and we are going to do the Baja Ha Ha this year. Souunds like a tough little boat that you have there. Mexico is nice b/c there are so many stops on the way.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:39   #4

Boat: KP 44
Small boat in MX

Sounds like a great trip to me. We have been cruising Mexico since 1998 on two different boats. What anjinsan said about Mexico is true only for boarder towns and a few selected spots that you wont go to in a boat anyhow. 99% of Mexico is just fine.
The Sea of Cortez is just made for a boat your size. You will be able to get into areas that other boats cant. If you are going to spend time on the mainland (which I reccomend) be sure to get a flopper stopper. Not those silly orange cones either. Get a Magna (downwind sells them) and your life will be great.
We are commuter cruisers, the boat spends the summer in Mazatlan and we return to San Diego to work for the winter.

Good luck
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 11:16   #5

Baja bound.....

Hi, (Slacker and Charlie).....and others....
Just read your messages......Let me mention a few things, if I may....
I've been to MX over 100 times since 1986...(Both business and pleasure)my wife is from Jalisco....I speak conversational Spanish.... I'm well aware of the issues going on in certain areas of Mexico and although we've driven down to PV several times, we've never had a problem.
I'm on the Baja HaHa Crew List as I'd like to do it once. I was going to do it in '04 but my friends plans changed at the last moment.....I even got an exemption for my boat but as I said, his plans changed at last minute.
I'm not planning on bringing the boat back to the states. Rather, I plan on leaving it in PV when I get there. We have some lots in that area (Nuevo Vallarta and Punta de Mita) and hope to build a home there next year.
I have sailed around Mazatlan (rented a small sailboat) while there for a week one time....loved it, too!
I'm just trying to figure out the best time of the year to leave San Diego for the trip south..... I know the Baja leaves late Oct. so I will probably leave after that (if I don't crew on a Baja boat) but would like to leave early enough to get in some warmer weather....
Any advice would be welcomed.......Thanks,
mexsailor
mexsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 13:50   #6

Boat: KP 44
baja bound

We generaly try to either beat the HaHa fleet by a week or follow them by 2 weeks. If you wait until the end of Nov or early Dec its kind of cold going down. If you are going to spend some time in the Sea of Cortez when you first get there you should leave before the HaHa fleet. Sept-early Nov. in the sea is wonderfull. The air and water are still warm and the strong north winds are infrequent. If you are going to the mainland any time is good. Although most folks bypass it we usually stop in San Quiteen on the way down. You cant get to shore there(surf) if you anchor in front of the hotel you can get a good rest. Remember the flooper stopper! We generaly prefer to bypass Turtle Bay for Acension (sp?). While they dont have a fuel dock or a fuel barge like Turtle Bay there is diesel available. For several years there has been a gringo lady named Sherry I believe living in the village. She is married to one of the locals and will help you round up what ever you need.

Good luck,
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 14:22   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Mex:'

Hurricane season doesn't end until Nov 1st. And whie that hard date doesn't mean there will not be a hurricane after that date it is something to be aware of. Last year there were two hurricanes that occured in October Norbert from 10/4 to 10/12 got both the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. (north of La Paz) Hurricane Polo was Nov 2-5 but occurred well below Baja. I would take this into consideration when you decide what the best date it. You won't have alot of speed to outrun the hurricanes even if you do hear about them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 14:54   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha Mex...Welcome to the forum...Good luck on your trip...sounds like a blast!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:35   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dana,
Welcome aboard! You've got a fine boat there. I really like the Cape Dory. Two sets of cruisers I know are in Mexico now and have done what you plan.
When you come back, stop by Hawaii then you can head for Seattle too and do the whole coast.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california