Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:22   #16

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Hello from the Rocky Mountains !

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Hi Matt! I have a Compac 23 over here next to SLC and I am very happy with the design. You might look at a Compac 16 or 19. I have had microbursts come through with 50 knot winds and she preformed well. If you get over here I would be happy to take you out.
Other common designs around here are the Catalinas (22,25,27) and the Laser (which really is tippy but a really good boat to learn on and can be picked up for a song)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48   #18

Boat: Jury Rigged Life Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hi Matt! I have a Compac 23 over here next to SLC and I am very happy with the design. You might look at a Compac 16 or 19. I have had microbursts come through with 50 knot winds and she preformed well. If you get over here I would be happy to take you out.
Other common designs around here are the Catalinas (22,25,27) and the Laser (which really is tippy but a really good boat to learn on and can be picked up for a song)
Hi newt! The Compac 16 was on my list, but the WWP 19 just raised my bar a bit. Although the Compac 16 has the weight I'm looking for, the 19 has just that little bit more edge to it. Spacious, lightweight and although spartan, very accomodating. The Compac 19, as a size comparison, is a little too heavy for what I'm looking for, coming in at 2,000 lbs displacement vs. 1,720 lbs., trailer included, with the West Wight Potter. As the WWP is still in production it gives another pro mark, concerning OEM replacement parts availability and serviceability.

My little Subaru Outback has a towing capacity of 2,500 lbs, soon to be a little more with the transmission rebuild/upgrades and upgraded suspension, but that number is still my limit with the mountain roads and boat ramp inclines. I also have to take passengers, dry and wet cargo into consideration for weight as well. So all in all, the less weight, the better. If more space can be obtained with close to the same weight, then all the better.

Thank you for the offer, too! I might just take you up on that next time I'm in the SLC area.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:49   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to CF, Matt. I did a search on YachtWorld for used sailboats from 16' to 22' in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming - and got exactly one hit. It's over in Salt Lake City, but if you go over there you can let Newt show you his Compac (you'll like it). Here's the link: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=74623&url=.

I was born in Colorado and went to college there. Lived in Vail for one winter before moving to Los Angeles in the mid-70s. Like the guy from Wheat Ridge, I too lived in Jefferson County and graduated from Jefferson High. You never get Colorado out of your system.

TaoJones
Old 12-11-2011, 11:30   #20

Boat: Jury Rigged Life Jacket

Thanks for the welcome, TaoJones. The Cat 22 is waaaay too heavy for my little Subaru. It would be nice though.....

I travel for a living, so finding a boat out of state (or even BC, Canada) really isn't an issue. I'll be back and forth from the west coast to the east coast all next year, so I'm going to take advantage of the time to look in some of the harbors and marinas as West Wight's show up in California quite a bit it seems. Then again, they're made in Los Angeles so no big surprise there.