Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2012, 04:09   #1

Boat: Bristol 24
Hello From Mid-Coast ,Maine, USA!

Hi there!

I'm fairly new to sailing - half way through my ten year plan to learn and step up to a big ( to me, anyway) boat.

Currently sailing a Tanzer22 with the next step, hopefully, being something around 30'. I think that I'll call it good at around 40', but, you know how plans are....

I want to get to the point that I can do some blue water cruising and, maybe, cruise to Europe.

Glad to find this forum as I have so many questions (and a little comraderie would be nice, too!)

Dan
Muscongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 04:18   #2

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscongus
Hi there!

I'm fairly new to sailing - half way through my ten year plan to learn and step up to a big ( to me, anyway) boat.

Currently sailing a Tanzer22 with the next step, hopefully, being something around 30'. I think that I'll call it good at around 40', but, you know how plans are....

I want to get to the point that I can do some blue water cruising and, maybe, cruise to Europe.

Glad to find this forum as I have so many questions (and a little comraderie would be nice, too!)
Welcome! Our forum is based on chain letter methods. Send two bits to the last guy on the thread. If you move quickly, that would be me! Lol

Keep working towards your dreams! You may not need that middle step. Same wind, same ways to control it. The larger the craft, the more hands it takes to easily get things done. As both a 30 and 40 can be single handed, just depends how much work you wish to do.

I went from 12' day sailboats in my youth to a 25 MacGregor last fall, to a 32' ketch this spring, which is where I will stay because of my small body of water.

Sailing is all the same, docking gets trickier the bigger they get. If you have a protected marina from the wind, the only real difference is the dock fees and maintance. Many docks charge by the foot.
Old 26-09-2012, 04:55   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Hello From Mid-Coast ,Maine, USA!

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a great plan...hope the forum helps.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 04:56   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Hi Muscungus and welcome to our forum.

We sail out of Rockland but I am starting to put the boat to bed for the winter. Please feel free to ask questions or start discussions and you can PM me if you want any info about cruising the New England to Nova Scotia coast.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 05:22   #5

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Welcome aboard, Muscongus. I'm hoping to sail my 32-footer up to your area of the world next June-July. Truth be told, I've headed in your direction for four seasons now, but I end up spending too much time on Cape Cod and the islands, so I run out of time for a serious push north.

But next season! Maybe. :-)
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 05:47   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Welcome Muscongus. We love your part of the world. I saw on your other thread that you are looking at Bristol's. Our first trip from Boston to Maine was on our Bristol 27. Spent a great night on Seguin on the way home. We have been up several times on our Tartan 34. We were hoping to come up this summer, but transmission trouble derailed us. It's definitely in the plan for next year. This site is an often useful and always entertaining resource. It's also a nice way to remember what we do in warm weather during those long winter evenings.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 08:41   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome! The more the merrier.
Old 26-09-2012, 11:16   #8

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'm hoping to put in a few more weeks this season before hauling out the Stacey Mae for the winter.

I'm going to take her apart in the early spring so I can refinish all the teak and re-bed everything. I think I'll add a few extras, too - I have a couple solar panels laying around, for instance, and It'd be nice to have the running lights working.

I have a mooring in Friendship, ME in a very protected little cove (installed last fall). I have heard that the lobstermen bring their boats here when there's a bad storm - nice spot for a mooring and for anchorage. If any of you that are cruising north are looking for good anchorage for a night or two, let me know.

Thanks again! I hope to have the chance to meet some of you some day! Maybe a little cruise out to Monhegan Island at the mouth of Muscongus Bay - it's really nice there.

Dan
Old 26-09-2012, 15:46   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Muscongus -- I took a lightning tour of your area this summer. I had 5 days solo on my boat before I had to be back in Portland to pick up my wife and kids for week of family cruising in Casco Bay. So I saw Damariscove, Monhegan, Eastern Egg Rock (puffins!), Otter Passage, Friendship, etc. all in a blur. It was AMAZING and I can't wait to get back.

So where exactly is this hidey-hole cove you speak so highly of?

Also, I notice in the Taft guide to cruising the Maine coast, and in a couple of other places, reference has been made to Friendship having a reputation for being a bit unfriendly to outsiders. . . . Is that still true? I only passed through early on a foggy morning . . . but got a couple of friendly greetings from other boaters.

Good luck in your boat search. You are fortunate to already have what money can't buy -- gorgeous cruising grounds in your backyard.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 18:58   #10

Hi there Cormorant!

I really love the area, too. Casco Bay is awesome, as well. I took sailing lessons with Sailmaine out of Portland.

I find Friendship to be great. The people on the water are wonderful - though, one time, I did get a grumpy look from a lobsterman. 'Course, he could have been having a bad day.

I am moored down the penninsula along the Medomak. If you look at your chart (or on geowake) find a little cove beside Delano Hill that has the name Wharton at the mouth. Perfect little spot.

Let me know when you head this way!

Dan

Dan
Old 05-11-2012, 14:01   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,