Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 14:34   #1

Hello from inland NW

Hello,
Im a short time lurker, but long time sail lover. Never sailed anything bigger then a 17ft cat (which i loved to fly), but am looking forward to planning, and then implementing a serious change.
I grew up in Seattle, in a closet. I spent time sleeping in smaller places, and am acustomed to it. I love camping and the outdoors. Im certified in outdoor emergency care. I am also a 20 year auto technician, who specializes in wiring and electrical. I have tons of experience on small diesels, especially vw diesels. I have always been handy at home repair, so i am comfortable with plumbing, woodworking, fabrication.
I have been growing weary of city life, and moved to the inland nw to get more outdoors, but i miss sailing, and still feel i am missing something. I want a simpler life, and my wife has agreed to my plan.
Over the next 6 years (waiting on kids to grow up and leave the nest), we plan to purchase a boat, sell off whatever we havent, and make the move to living aboard and away from the US. I am an avid skier,(and ski patroller) so i will miss skiing tremendously, but love the blue waters.
I feel confident, and comfortable about this decision, and look forward to reading more adventures to help me decide where we are going and when.
ReverendVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 23:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello from inland NW

Welcome to the forum
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 02:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ReverendVW.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 20:31   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, ReverendVW.

I'm sure you and your good lady will find the cruising community welcoming.

Forgive me for offering unsolicited advice. I am offering it because we just met a young cruising couple (in their 40's), where the husband is the ex-racing sailor, and the wife, a teacher, and a homemaker She is anxious because she is so dependent on his skills, and she hasn't had the opportunity to acquire them yet. In cruising, you need to be able to trust your partner's competence, so you can sleep on your off watch periods.

So, here's the advice, please see to it that your good lady wife learns to sail independently of yourself. This will tremendously increase both her competence and her pleasure in the sailing end of things, plus she will then be able to bring new ideas to your joint efforts.

Good luck with all of it.

Ann