Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 15:22   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Hello everyone

Hello,

I Just joined the forum. I am thinking about buying a sailboat and I wanted to learn what the life span of a fiberglass hull was. I can only afford a used boat, but didn't know how old was too old when it comes to fiberglass hulls. I would appreciate any insight.

Regards,

Pete
ppenoyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
wanted to learn what the life span of a fiberglass hull was.
At this point it is mostly unknown. The fiberglass seems to last longer than any other part of the boat. What becomes too old are all the things attached and sometimes the skipper, though I know skippers into their 80's.

The stuff attached is really the part of the boat that costs the most. All the gear and rigging and interior and the hideous amounts of labor it takes to build a boat. A full cruising boat takes many times the man hours of a large house to build completely using specialized components that themselves take tremendous amount of labor. It's why they cost so much.

So when you are thinking of boats you need to think in terms of the condition of everything. The process to replace everything will cost a lot more and take longer than it did to build it the first time. Boats do become "not worth the effort" where the time and money will eat away the value of the boat. It's not that it can't be done but that the same money could buy a used boat in better shape.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:56   #3
DWT

Pete

Sun light over time is not good on fiberglass hulls. So look over the old boat good. Raw glass is what I am talking about, it is not good out in the weather. It just needs some paint or gelcoat on it to protect it.

My 39 year old Morgan is just as tuff if it were new. They don't build them like that anymore. And that old classics look ....... alway catches someones eye!

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 16:00   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I have a fiberglass boat built in 1973. The hull is fine but as Pblais said everything else is wasting away.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01   #5

Boat: Catalina 27
Thanks Guys

Thanks guys,

That was useful info.
ppenoyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Peter,
Welcome aboard! Your question is good and the jury is still out about fiberglass boats. For recreational use they've been around since the mid 50s so if we are still trying to determine if they float after 50 years then there is something wrong with our evaluation process. Fiberglass is great, easy to repair, doesn't leak, etc.. but it all depends on how it was laid up in the first place. Certain boats have certain problems so ask lots of questions.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote