Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:12   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Fingie

Hi there.
My partner & I are planning a mid life crisis so have decided to opt out of the mainstream and go cruising. We are both from the Marlborough Sounds area in New Zealand (sort of), although I'm currently working for the 'mericans in Antarctica scraping together the last few dollars we need. I've got over 20 years commercial experience with boats as engineer, skipper and maintenance manager but no sailing experience, so the big thing in the middle of the boat that the sails hang off is very much a mystery to me. Fortunately my lady is an accomplished recreational sailor of about 30 years experience, so hopefully you shouldn't be reading about us in the paper for anything untoward. Like I said, no sailing experience but a lot of engine/machinery experience on boats so feel free to pester me. I work nights (NZ time) in a very boring job so welcome the distraction. Also, expect to get a lot of questions from me, especially before the caffeine wears off.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Welcome aboard!
Working in Antarctica - must be interesting, notwithstanding the boring job.
Tell us more ...
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:23   #3
cruiser

Thanks Gord,
It does have it's interesting times. I've just spent the southern hemisphere winter at McMurdo Station (US base) as the mechanic in their powerplant (6x 850 kW Caterpillar gensets), I am now working as a supply contractor to the New York Air National Guard, who fly the ski equipped Hercules 130s to the South Pole. It was a job I sort of fell into last year that pays well but is a bit like being a fireman sometimes, sitting around waiting for a phonecall with nothing to fill in the time. Tonight is real quiet as there is a blizzard blowing so no maintenance happening. (Those brave guys form the National Guard do all the maintenance outside, well below freezing). I have also spent a winter and a summer as engineering manager at Scott Base, the New Zealand research station.
It's generally a very liberal crowd down here and have been amazed at the number of cruisers who come down here to fund the lifestyle, I must get some statistics. We have a duly formed yacht club (Ross Island Yacht Club Antarctica, even have a burgee) but no marina and not even any water until the sea ice melts or breaks out sometime in January (hopefully).

Pete
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hi Pete,

Welcome aboard.

Being a mec-an-ic you have the advantage over a lot of newbies with a bonus.

The sailing part is the EZist! It's learing how to fix all the little problems that plage sailboats. You're already a Seaman, just need to learn the wind and the dynamics of what makes the sailboat move. And with a partner with all that experiance and female to boot, your way ahead of most of us.

And sailboats are smaller inside compaired to power of equal length. But being closed in like you are, that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't envy where your at, had a chance to do it myself back in the 70's but on Navy pay. No thanks!
But ended up in Alaska for awhile. Maintenace/Machinist/Toolmaker is my specialty as well.

Is there a picture on ya'all's bergie? Just curious!

Well, keep your feet warm/dry and drink plenty of water.........................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:59   #5
cruiser

Drink plenty of water I had heard about drinking plenty but nobody said anything about water. Does rum count?
Thanks for your encouraging words.
Our burgee can be viewed at http://www.burgees.com/BGroupR.htm
About 3/4 of the way down the page
Old 03-11-2005, 11:25   #6

I suspected it would be unique

About the drinking plenty of water. Any time the air temp. gets below 0º C the moisture drops from the air. So every time one breathes they loose moisture from their body (you can see your breath). If you've ever been out in the sub 0 weather for a period of time, you'll notice a feeling of being run down or tired. That's dehydration!

It's always good to pack a water bag under your arm so that you can get a drink occasionally, keeping the fluids in your body.

One time up in Ak I was laying on the ground welding up snow plows in -10º C. I'd been out for 4 hours when I started feeling real tired and wanted to just sleep. So I came back into the shop and my boss want to kick my ass for not coming in every two hours. That's when I learned about the dehydration thing.

As for the Rum, does your ice crack too when it's dropped in the liquor? ....................................._/)
Old 04-11-2005, 08:15   #7
cruiser

Yeah, dehydration can be a real b.... down here. Cracked fingers and all. I drink about a gallon a day and only some of that is rum. The glacier ice is pretty cool in a drink, cracking and fizzing. Did I mention that my girl as well as having 35 years sailing, being incredibly sexy and female is also a qualified chef. Hey, I gotta make you guys jealous. After all, I haven't got a boat yet & I'm jealous of you.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:13   #8

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

And being able to travel freely IS the spice of life!