Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 11:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 235 "Gypsy Dancer"
Cruising SW Florida

We'll be chartering from SWFlorida Yachts out of Ft Meyers from 22 March to 28 March. Any suggestions about interesting places, coves, marinas etc. to visit? We're not sailing, it's a Grand Banks. A compromise. My husband wants me to get used to motorcruising for future ICW living. >sigh<

-Deana
Gypsy Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Cruising SW Florida

Many..... you planning on North or South?
Old 14-03-2011, 12:19   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

There are lots of threads on this topic. Do a search. Two of my favorites are the Boca Grande and the Cayo Costa anchorages.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:40   #4

Boat: Alura 30

Your best bet is to head north on the ICW,Cabbage Key is our favorite spot,old Florida...next is Cayo Costa and Pelican Bay,safe and quiet anchorage just south of Boca Grande.If you like crowded place go to South Seas Plantation just to the south.This is a beautifull area.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:57   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I second the suggestions for Cayo Costa, etc. Be careful going into Pelican Bay, I know your Grand Banks doesn't draw much but that is some very thin water. You might try to raise someone local for directions. Water is actually deeper near the beach than in the center. Also, you might look into Tween Waters marina. There you have a choice of using a slip or a mooring.

If you use Boca Grande channel be prepared for some rolling. It's very long and with a north or south breeze it can be rather uncomfortable. A cruising guide would probably be useful.

You should have fun, it's one of our favorite cruising destinations.

Rich

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:02   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

do icw north to appalachicola and psj and around there-is gorgeous. folks are friendly and the best oysters in the world--yes even better than louisiana oysters, i am sorry to say....destin is on that route, pretty with interesting stuff going on, decent holding ....have fun!! ye wont have to worry about the bridges-- would be a fun trip.
i fyou have the range-- dry tortugas is good from ft myers--is how we sailed it--- is a beautiful trip and lovely place to stay for a few days.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:29   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
do icw north to appalachicola and psj and around there-is gorgeous. .
Umm, Appalachicola must be the better part of a thousand miles from Ft. Myers - they've got six days . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 19:36   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, Appalachicola must be the better part of a thousand miles from Ft. Myers - they've got six days . . .
IS FUNNY--LAST YEAR IT DIDNT seem LIKE THAT FAR--- FUNNY HOW IT ONLY TOOK US IN A SLOOP 3 DAYS FROM APPALACH TO FT MYERS , and we did under 100 miles per day........ mebbe wannna reassess the mileage there--- fla isnt as long as kali, and kali is about 700 or more miles in length. i did a trip from slidell to ft myers and back 3 tiems last yr with a stop out in dry tortugas and we got a little over 6000 miles-- average 1000 miles each leg from slidell louisiana to ft myers and back with side trips and such.
6 days is more than enough to travel to appalach in a trawler and back. inside takes less time than outside, and we did it outside in 3 days. port charlotte is on the route and is lovely-- most wonderful trip. lots of good anchorages for trawlers-- the icw there is really beautiful and perfect for a trawler. wish we could have gone in more of icw-- but we didnt fit under bridges-- we were 55 ft tall.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 19:57   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

If you want to get away from crowds, a good choice would be to work your way into the ten thousand islands or Sandy Key. One of the best beaches just north of Sandy Key, probably not see anyone else out there...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 20:08   #10

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail

We charter in that area. If you're going South, check out Little Shark River for true-Florida pristine anchorages. Complete absence of human sound. May not even have cell service! If going North, try Useppa Island ( across from Cabbage Key) - a private island, but you may dock for lunch or anchor out nearby. This island is also pristine with lush tropical plants everywhere - orchids, etc. A charming old-florida destination. And Pelican Bay is a favorite of ours. A cruising guide will say it all. Have fun!
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 11:46   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It seems that you are already getting some good recommendations.
kind regards,
Old 17-03-2011, 08:07   #12

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by womensetsail View Post
We charter in that area. If you're going South, check out Little Shark River for true-Florida pristine anchorages. Complete absence of human sound. May not even have cell service!!
I kinda wish we'd keep this info/area to ourselves from here on, though I guess the mosquitos (truly epic in number), noseeums (located here by the devil herself), biting flies (need I comment?), and the crocs and gators, and now all the fully grown pythons, boas, and anacondas in the mangroves, not to overlook the also hobbyist-released wild-assed oscars and the odd pirahna or three serve to keep the area "pristine" as you say. Then there's the no wifi thing. Get out of the marked channel at your peril. Many enter the Shark. Fewer return. When your batteries in the GPS die, you're done for. Ya'll have a nice day now.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:23   #13

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I kinda wish we'd keep this info/area to ourselves from here on, though I guess the mosquitos (truly epic in number), noseeums (located here by the devil herself), biting flies (need I comment?), and the crocs and gators, and now all the fully grown pythons, boas, and anacondas in the mangroves, not to overlook the also hobbyist-released wild-assed oscars and the odd pirahna or three serve to keep the area "pristine" as you say. Then there's the no wifi thing. Get out of the marked channel at your peril. Many enter the Shark. Fewer return. When your batteries in the GPS die, you're done for. Ya'll have a nice day now.
AND if seeing a sixteen foot Anaconda laying on your deck causes you to consider jumpin' overboard: you need to be mindful of the cottonmouth water moccasins that sometimes frequent the area.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 09:25   #14

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail

Okay. Okay LOL. I get the point.....and you're right, I guess Little Shark River is probably better left to folks with "local knowledge"....
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 10:19   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
IS FUNNY--LAST YEAR IT DIDNT seem LIKE THAT FAR--- FUNNY HOW IT ONLY TOOK US IN A SLOOP 3 DAYS FROM APPALACH TO FT MYERS , and we did under 100 miles per day........ mebbe wannna reassess the mileage there--- fla isnt as long as kali, and kali is about 700 or more miles in length. i did a trip from slidell to ft myers and back 3 tiems last yr with a stop out in dry tortugas and we got a little over 6000 miles-- average 1000 miles each leg from slidell louisiana to ft myers and back with side trips and such.
6 days is more than enough to travel to appalach in a trawler and back. inside takes less time than outside, and we did it outside in 3 days. port charlotte is on the route and is lovely-- most wonderful trip. lots of good anchorages for trawlers-- the icw there is really beautiful and perfect for a trawler. wish we could have gone in more of icw-- but we didnt fit under bridges-- we were 55 ft tall.
You're right, it's not that far. In fact it's 300 nautical miles from FM to Appalachiacola if you go straight across the Gulf. Say 400 in the ICW. Round trip 600 to 800 miles. Still quite a distance for a six day charter.

It is a lovely, atmospheric place, though! I agree with you there!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, florida