Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 14:53   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Chicago Couple Getting Ready to Cast Off !

Hey everyone -

My husband and I are leaving for our circumnavigation in just over ONE MONTH! Very exciting indeed. Or not (to some). To each his own...
Anyway, we have a blog. Short for "Web Log" it is chronicling our (mis)adventures, what we are doing with our boat (a 1975 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus) - a journal of sorts. Yes, this is shameless self-promotion. However somepeople actually enjoy reading about what we are going to do so I thought, perhaps you would too?

www.windtraveler.blogspot.com

Fair winds!
Brittany & Scott
Old 04-08-2010, 15:31   #2

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Brittany & Scott, Congratulations on joining the lifestyle and all the best with the circumnavigation. I remember the anticipation of casting the lines like it was yesterday. Hope to see you down under at some point. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:37   #3

Boat: 1984 CS 36
i've been having a great time checking out what you're doing - thanks for posting. maybe we'll see you out there
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Brittany & Scott
All the best from all of the folks at CF! It is at the end of the day mostly about showing up or in your case taking off. Post back when you can.

I'm sure more people than you expected will want to follow the adventures great and small! You may be surprised but the small stuff gets the most traffic.

Fair winds to you!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:44   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to CF, great blog and happy trails.
Godspeed,
Erika
Old 04-08-2010, 15:49   #6

Boat: C&C 34
Hope you enjoy yourselves. I am sure you will.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 17:10   #7

Boat: Pearson 26
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the link! I've been looking for interesting blogs to read, and just by skimming through a few pages of yours I can see it's "different" than most. The Cousin Eddy re-enactment photo is awesome, and I can't wait to find out why the guy who paints the "happy little trees" is in there. I'll try to read through and get up to date - looking forward to following along in real time.

If your travels ever bring you to Nantucket, stop in and say hello!

Congrats and bon voyage.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:06   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Have a great trip. It's worth it.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:24   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
Happy cruising!
kind regards,
Old 04-08-2010, 20:43   #10

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Hey wind traveler. Congrates on taking the plunge. we will read with interest as we are doing a reverse track to what you are doing i.e. coming from Asia heading for Lake Michigan. Maybe our paths will cross.

Cheers
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:30   #11

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Congrats! I am green with envy as I am still a couple years from leaving, but I will certainly follow your Blog.

Enjoy living the dream.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32   #12

Boat: Baba 40

Brittany and Scott,

Good luck with your adventure. I hope to be following you out of Lake Michigan next summer. Katie and I are in Milwaukee with our Baba 40, Mezzaluna. We need to sell our Lake home here and close up all of our personal business. Moving kids and all that stuff that happens when you are a bit older.

You will want to move fast to get to the warm weather. Will you be in Annapolis for the show this year? That is a common goal for many heading that way.

If you haven't heard of the SSCA, Seven Seas Cruising Assoc. you might want to check them out. I have belonged for a couple of years now and their information in the bulletin is great for what you are going to do. They also have GAMMS which are a great way to meet up with others that have, are in process of doing or are planning on doing just what you are doing. I have been to one in Annapolis a couple of years ago and the people were great. Check them out at Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association.

I hope to come across you out "there" sometime.

Jeff Anderson
SV/Mezzaluna

If it's going to happen .... It's going to happen out there!
Captain Ron
6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:05   #13

Boat: Brewer 44
Wow! Thanks to all for the support and great words of encouragement! We are...in a word "stoked" about getting out of dodge...glad that some of you also have gotten a kick out of the blog...I try to mix sailor-speak with every day funny stuff so there is a little something for everyone to enjoy (or so we think) - however, if anyone has any specific questions about what we did/are doing, or any specific questions about decisions we made etc. etc. we are happy to get all sailor speak via email!

@ Ishmael - who doesn't love a little uncle eddie from time to time? we do hope to get to nantucket at some point...we hear its lovely. And the guy who paints "happy little trees" sat next to us at a very hungover breakfast one morning. Ooops. I gave it away.
@ SariTimur - fantastic!! wow....Asia to the GL's - what a journey! Good luck to you as well! We can high-five as we cross paths!
@ Greenman - time flies when you are having fun...! You wont' be green for long - this past year has flown by...Especially if you are doing any re-fitting of your boat, trust me, time just dissapears. In fact, there is never enough of the damn stuff but it's all good!
@ 6String - Nice! we are practically neighbors! We have heard of the SSCA but are not members..we are also not planning on the annapolis boat show - didn't know anything about it (wince)...but we will look into that. I love me a good boat show. Keep in touch! And yes - we know we have to hoof it out of here to be out "before the frost" so to speak...thankfully we have a full cockpit enclousure and a force 10 heater...but yeah, we're not going on this trip to freeze our butts off...

Anyway - thanks again for the warm welcome. We have already posted a bunch of questions and gotten some great stuff from the folks on here and are thankful for the advice and support!

Keep in touch via the blog if you so desire - we reply to all emails and love to hear from everyone!

Cheers,
Brittany & Scott