Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2004, 17:52   #1

Buying a boat

Hey,

I'm a student in Canada and am planning on buying a boat (with a couple of friends) and heading for the high seas in the fall after I finish up my degree.

I need to know what to look for in a cruising boat (our price range is around $15 000). we were planning on a 25' - 30' boat.

Any advice????
scott_CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2004, 19:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Beat the bush's looking and be Fearless making lots of low offers. It does work. good luck.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 03:24   #3

Three Guys and a Boat

On a thirty footer ya'll better be Friendly. And my advice is... ( ok- where's the drumroll ) ahemm,cough-cough- Look at Cascades line of boats. They are undervalued usually, ye get a lot for your money. Strong as an anvil, they have been made for close to forty years, made several circumnavigations-their kinda the Land Rover of the Maritime Establishment. One more thing- make sure all three of ya are POLITE-on a boat two's company, threes' a MOB
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 05:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you plan to stay in your price range on the initial purchase you should plan on a few things. Actually all the following is still good no matter what you do.

1. Since you have partners you should spend the money on a surveyor to get a complete assessment of what needs to be done to the boat to leave port safely. It will save argumnets later on when they all blame you for picking a bad boat. With your budget you won't be getting anything spectacular so you need to check it out with someone that really knows boats. It's worth the extra money.

2. Plan on each partner having at least double the investment as a reserve fund for outfitting the boat and repairs. Boats are more expensive after you buy them than when you first buy them. Make sure everyone is able to afford the future. Write out an agreement and sign it when everyone is totally sober.

3. Consider a few shake down cruises on the low seas before venturing out to the high seas. You need an able crew not "a couple of friends". Living with three on a small boat is not easy. Well it's not easy on a big boat either. Working together as a crew is mandatory. You need a lot of skills. You can learn easier when the conditions are not so severe.

4. Don't lose your energy for the project. You don't have enough money<g>. Attitude can overcome a lot but not lack of skill or poor judgement. Have fun while learning.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 08:19   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Hey Cascade-fixer: Just a thought regarding the "two's company - three's a mob. The experience of our crowd, at least when involved in short cruises and weekending, involves the concept of "critical mass". We always found that for two people to get along on the boat there has to be real strong feelings for each other, while 3 people have that critical mass that usually means more fun and flexibility. I don't really mean to argue, it is just that your comment brought back the memory of us always trying for "critical mass".

Please, no jokes about orgys or "menage-a-trois". Those were not part of the critical mass equations. Also, five days out, your opinion of the dynamics could easily be more correct.

I had real trouble with a four-person crew on a long journey. One guy took great delight in psychologically bullying one of the others; while the other two of us just couldn't get it under control. Definitely, group dynamics are really important.

Not that I am an expert, but I have come across advice proposing that boat co-owners should have long, complete, and legal agreements regarding all expenses, use, and final dissolution of the partnership.

Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote