Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 21:22   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 S/V Asylum
Aloha

First post. What a great forum. I'm very glad to have such a great resorce. I sailed a cascade 29 out of Hilo for four years but sold it three years ago telling myself there would be more time for sailing later. Well the the long and the short of it, a few months back the Doc. says, if your going to go you better go sooner then later. So I'm on the new two year tie up all the loose ends and go plan. There are a lot of Islands between here and China I'ed like to see from the deck of a little cruiser. This time next year I'll be looking to buy that boat somewhere on the West coast. I plan to bring her back to Hilo and spend a year getting to know her and making her mine and then, well I'll see where the wind blows me.
I don't have a lot of wisdom to share with this forum, but if some one were to ask me I'ed say some times it's better to go with what you have, then to wait and hope your going to get more later.
Good sailing to you all. David B.
sloopdavidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 22:06   #2

Aloha.My first post also.Yours reads like I am in much the same boat.Tie up the loose ends and go. Recently come over from Caribbean,now near Gibraltar and planning to cruise along Moroccon coast this spring then over to Sardinia and round to Dubrovnik. Dont think I will get to China like you.Good luck Josef
josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 23:20   #3

Aloha brah...1st post also. Also from Hawai'i, cruised out of O'ahu and currently in NZ. Lots of good boats on O'ahu and much cheaper then California. People make the journey and don't want the miserable sail back. Of course sometimes I think it's easier sailing from San Diego to Hilo then having to cross the Alenuihaha!
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:09   #4

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
David, if I were you one 'next step' I would take now is to make contact with SkiprJohn. He's on the Big Island, seems to have a good feel for what's going on around the islands re: sailing, and he's been both very responsive and knowledgeable in his comments, both here and via email to me. Networking locally is always a good thing to do when in the boat shopping mode, and you also meet some really nice folks. Not all that different from cruising, come to think of it...

Jack
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha David,
Jack didn't know that we already know each other. Welcome aboard!! You've got a good plan and let me know if I can help.
Just so I know, what size boat are you looking for?
laters,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58   #6

Jack,
Thanks for the nice comments.
JohnL
Old 07-01-2007, 12:48   #7

Boat: Westsail 32 S/V Asylum
thanks for all the words of suport from every one.

Hi. SkiperJohn.
Well like I said I'm still about a year from buying but just to give you an idea of what I like, Tayana 37, Fantasia 35 Mk 2, CSY or Endeavour 37 plan B. All of these in the late 70s or early 80s. and all sloop or cutter rigged. I've had lots of time to do my home work and I would rather read boat adds on the computer then watch TV.I have talked with a lot of owners of all the boats I have mentioned above. Let me say I'm not leading any one on, I tell them straight up that I'm not buying a boat right now but that I want thair views of the boat there selling. Almost to the one they have been very helpful.
It's been awhile since I've seen your Cascade, Maybe you'll let me check her out one day.
My best to all. David B.
sloopdavidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 21:56   #8

Aloha David,
Good on ya. Sounds like you really know what you want and they all sound like good boats but I don't know the Fantasia.
The big ole Cascade is, unfortunately, still here in the yard but I am making progress even though it is slow. Drop by when you can.
Regards,
JohnL