Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2006, 04:28   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
I think Bob's next adventure should be refusing to reef because he wants his boat to go faster than all the others
Or doesn't need to?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 09:39   #17
Kai Nui

Yea Thomas, not all of us are comfortable putting the rail in the water with 6' of freeboard
Old 27-05-2006, 15:02   #18
cruiser

Drunks

Maybe we are all guilty for tiptoeing around the glorification of drunkeness and not treating it with the distain it deserves.Thankfully ,I see far less of people treating drunkeness as a joke than I used to.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 16:09   #19
Bob Norson

you know I think I am coming to an understanding here.. I may have fallen into the PC trap even though I thought I was bullit proof. That is.. though I have thought that my editing challenged and provoked (that is my intention after all) I might have committed the sin, the grave sin, of underestimating my audiance which is a form of arrogance isn't it.... I enjoyed writing it and thought it was OK but wasn't sure if the rest of the community could come to grips with it. I am such an idiot sometimes! How the hell did I wind up with this job?!?!? I feel like a drunk that has just had his face slapped by a friend to bring him around.

When it's the right time (these little missives come at their own time), I'll write more of Cpn Bob and give you guys first look. Not because I'll be so insecure but because y'all seem to enjoy the critter and I reckon you should be rewarded/punished for your input!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your remarks and how valuable they are to me.

Keep it coming!

Cheers

Bob
Old 27-05-2006, 16:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Kai - I have NEVER put my rail in the water - your claims of having seen my keel bottom and hearing that sonic boom as I went past are just figments of your very vivid imagination. I should also mention that my boat weighs 10,000 pounds more than Petrel, and I had a very experienced mate on board.
Old 31-05-2006, 21:11   #21

I thought it was very well written, though I was a little confused as to why "boat" didn't get quotes for being one of those really technical nautical terms.

This reminds me of Archie Bunker (for you old people) and Eric Cartman for we youngish folks. A character who, by being despicable, is a nice teaching tool.

I say "kudos to you" for an article well done.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 21:36   #22
Kai Nui

Yea, Thomas, I know, but it makes for a good yarn
Bob, we all fall into the status quo once in a while. In your case, you have a bit more at stake, so a bit of caution is reasonable. I look forward to the next installment
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

ummm... while I believe that TECHNICALLY I qualify as an "old fart" - I still know who Eric Cartman is (and, of course Archie).
Old 01-06-2006, 18:52   #24
Kai Nui

Let's see... I remember Archie Bunker, before he went into reruns, and am a fan of Eric Cartman and the rest of the poorly drawn, politically incorrect, moderately offensive cast of South Park, but I am younger than the Chief Justice, so I guess I am not old yet
Old 01-06-2006, 19:17   #25

I'm like Kai.

Old enough to remember Archie bunker. Especially when he calls "Meathead." A stupid Polock!! And Sally Struthers as the ditzy blonde daughter of Archie's.

I rarely watch South Park. They usually air them episodes when I'm on the computer or in bed!!

And most definately younger than the Chief Justice.:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 20:35   #26

No disrespect to the older (and certainly wiser), but if you have to claim you're not old, you probably are. But hey, it just means you're that much closer to retiring and starting the circumnavigation than the rest of us.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 21:06   #27
Kai Nui

Until I pass the retirement age I planned for myself when I was a teenager, I am not old. If the day comes that I pass that age, and am still doing the 9-5 thing, THEN, I will feel old. So, where were we? OH yea, drunken sailors
Old 01-06-2006, 21:39   #28
Senior Cruiser

gawd I hate that I'm older than the chief justice of the US supreme court... but ... what do you do with a drunken sailor ...
Old 02-06-2006, 15:26   #29
Bob Norson

"what do you do with a drunken sailor ... " I write about em....! heh heh heh

Cheers

Bob
Old 02-06-2006, 18:52   #30

Well if the age for retirement is still 65. When I get there. Which from what I hear I doubt that!! They're talking about rasing it to age 67. What year they plan to do this I don't know!!

I still have over a quarter of a century til I hit that age.

But I sometimes feel older on some days. And I have been forgetting some things. I guess that's one of the signs of getting old?!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote