Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Sailboat Vacation Exchange

Dear Members,

I have been on the hunt for a small sailboat (30ft) in Key West to charter for a 2 day period. My girlfriend and I are going to Key West next week Feb. 9th for two weeks and I thought it would be nice to take her sailing and spend a night on the hook under the stars. Unfortunetly, I have had no luck so far. I have emailed everyone on Craigslist that has a 27 to 34 foot sailboat for sale in Key West, with hopes they would rent it out very cheaply ( 200.00 for 24 hours).

So last night in the middle of a 50cm snow storm I got thinking! Over a bottle of Rum. Why as a community don't we have a data base of people willing to trade and exchange boat time.

I am willing to trade time on my boat in Nova Scotia for time on a boat else where.

If you are interested in starting a Data Base free of charge for people willing to exchange their boats for TIME on yours please let me know. I can start a website that would hold all the data on the Boats and Destinations.

Todd
(waverider)
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06   #2

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48
Seems like a reasonable idea if you could be confident that you and the person you are exchanging time with share the same ideas about how to take care of your dearest possession. The problem is insurance. My policy does not cover me chartering my boat out. If I allow someone to use my boat and receive something of value in return (time on your boat) they are going to consider it a charter... no insurance.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Hi adrewsc

I actually checked with a Marine Insurance Broker last night over the bottle of Rum. He lives next door and we had enough of shoveling snow. He will insure any vessel that is Captained by someone with a "Safe Boaters Card". In Canada that card is about $ 50.00 to obtain and the exam is available online. However that being said. It would be up to the people making the exchange to make inteligent choices when leting someone else use their boat.

The Moorings has a Sail Resume that would be a great template for boat owners to have filled out: Create Resume - User Resume | The Moorings

Thanks for your comments,

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:04   #4

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48
Good info. Hope you find something in Fla. You and I trading bad weather for bad weather probably wouldn't help you out... just lead to more drinking and snow shoveling.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 07:37   #5

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Sailboat Vacation Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
Hi adrewsc

I actually checked with a Marine Insurance Broker last night over the bottle of Rum. He lives next door and we had enough of shoveling snow. He will insure any vessel that is Captained by someone with a "Safe Boaters Card". In Canada that card is about $ 50.00 to obtain and the exam is available online. However that being said. It would be up to the people making the exchange to make inteligent choices when leting someone else use their boat.

The Moorings has a Sail Resume that would be a great template for boat owners to have filled out: Create Resume - User Resume | The Moorings

Thanks for your comments,

Todd
Try Key Lime Sailing Club in Key Largo. He rents his boats at $200/day, they are free use with the rental of a cottage. I have rented from him and used his boats. Usual disclaimer, I have no association, interest, etc. with the owner.

Vacation Rentals, Vacation Cottages and Homes, Sailboat Rentals, Florida Keys, Key Largo, Key Lime Sailing Club
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, vacation