Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2006, 18:26   #1

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Manila bound

I found out today that my company is sending me to Manila in about a week's time. I'm wondering if anyone hear knows the electrical standard there. I need to know whether I can simply plug in my north american laptop and get on-line or if I need to purchase an adaptor.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the area and can recommend places to see etc, that would be great!

Lori

PS, as I won't be around to perform the "slap the captain silly" drills I'm trusting you all to keep my beloved Knottybuoyz in line!
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 19:14   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Lori,

The power source is a 220V 50 cycle single phase. A lot of people there use a step down transformer since a lot of personal products come from the US via American Filipina's, like my wife. For your laptop, you might just be able to find a 220V battery charger at one of the strip malls. Or online to http://www.yehey.com/default.aspx?q=true I'll bet you'll be able to find something that you can pick up when you get there.

As for the sights most of everything is out side of Manila, nature wise. In the big city it's mostly memorals. I'll try to come up with something later.

Be prepared for bad traffic and smog. There is no speed limit that I've seen but the roads are so crowded that you're lucky to get over 30 MPH.

Take meds for sinus congestion and diarrea, drink only what comes in a sealed bottle, i.e.- sodas, beer, wine, water & etc. Avoid eating any meat unless you seen it killed especially sea food with exception to the major hotels like The Hilton.

This is the hot wet season so be prepaired to get a warm shower on the street.

Hopefully you'll have an experienced person with you. It's EZ to get scamed. But keep a smile on your face and you'll get one in return. The people are very friendly with minor exceptions. Don't give to the begger children they'll hound you and it could start a crowd of them.

Enjoy......................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 19:19   #3
Kai Nui

I would keep an eye on Rick, but I am a bad influence
Old 31-08-2006, 20:58   #4
Eternal Member

Most laptops built in the past 5-7 years have universal power supplies that will work on either 115VAC or 230VAC. Look at the specs written on your power brick.

On several working visits to the Philippines I've found the people very friendly, the traffic unbelievably bad, the countryside absolutely beautiful, the climate hot and sultry, and most amenities anyone could wish. However, with a few exceptions the local food is barely edible. Must be an acquired taste, and I never stayed long enough to acquire it! Happily, one can find Chinese, European, and American dishes widely.

Overall, a great place though. Have fun!

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 00:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Avoid Angeles City...

Under no circumstances visit Angeles City.
If anyone offers to play cards exit the area as fast as possible.
For further information check out http://www.harrythehorse.com/
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 00:35   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
You can see how hot it is by the way they are all dressed.

Any place where there is little money and little self discipline, you'll find coruption.

BTW, P.I. has the death penalty for drug dealings...................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:17   #7

OZ is a great place to visit,just down the road a bit.But Manila is nice too.If ya want to practice ya "Slap the captain drills"I'm open.<G>.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43   #8

[quote=delmarrey]The power source is a 220V 50 cycle single phase. A lot of people there use a step down transformer since a lot of personal products come from the US via American Filipina's, like my wife. For your laptop, you might just be able to find a 220V battery charger at one of the strip malls. Or online to http://www.yehey.com/default.aspx?q=true I'll bet you'll be able to find something that you can pick up when you get there.[quote/]

I was provided with an information package at work yesterday and it said the major hotels usually offer 110 volt outlets, so I should be fine. If not, I'll pick up an adaptor there.

[quote=delmarrey]As for the sights most of everything is out side of Manila, nature wise. In the big city it's mostly memorals. I'll try to come up with something later.[quote/]

Thanks! I read that there are day tours of the sights outside of the city, so I will take advantage of those when I can.

[quote=delmarrey]Be prepared for bad traffic and smog. There is no speed limit that I've seen but the roads are so crowded that you're lucky to get over 30 MPH.[quote/]

I don't know at this time if they are renting me a car or if I get a taxi allowance. That's something I will know when I get there, I guess. Even with a car, I think using the trains or taxies might be easier...

[quote=delmarrey]drink only what comes in a sealed bottle, i.e.- sodas, beer, wine, water & etc. Avoid eating any meat unless you seen it killed especially sea food with exception to the major hotels like The Hilton.[quote/]
Thats good to know! The information I have says the water is completely safe to drink. I think I am going to miss drinking milk, though. That's usually my beverage of choice with my meal. I don't eat seafood, so avoiding that should be easy and I think that for the most part, I will be eating at the hotel, at least through the week. Then again alot depends on the work ethic/tradition of the country. I'm used to working 12-15 hour days when first visiting another office. Culturally that might not be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Hopefully you'll have an experienced person with you. It's EZ to get scamed. But keep a smile on your face and you'll get one in return. The people are very friendly with minor exceptions. Don't give to the begger children they'll hound you and it could start a crowd of them.
It shouldn't be a problem having an experienced person with me. A couple of people from our office have been in Manila for a few months now, plus I will be working with the trainers from that office, so I have no fear of feeling stranded.

Thank you very much for all the information!

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 06:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
I would keep an eye on Rick, but I am a bad influence

Well he certainly doesn't need any help to get in trouble, as was demonstated in my 4 day trip to Louisiana!

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 06:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors

On several working visits to the Philippines I've found the people very friendly, the traffic unbelievably bad, the countryside absolutely beautiful, the climate hot and sultry, and most amenities anyone could wish. However, with a few exceptions the local food is barely edible. Must be an acquired taste, and I never stayed long enough to acquire it! Happily, one can find Chinese, European, and American dishes widely.

Overall, a great place though. Have fun!

Bill
Thanks, Bill! I'm a pretty fussy eater, so this should be quite an adventure. My usual rule of thumb is if I can't readily identify it I won't eat it!

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 06:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
Under no circumstances visit Angeles City.
If anyone offers to play cards exit the area as fast as possible.
For further information check out http://www.harrythehorse.com/
Hmmm? I think I'll stick to the well beaten tracks, but good to know, in case my prankster co-workers who have been there for little time try to dupe me!

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 07:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

BTW, P.I. has the death penalty for drug dealings...................._/)
That won't be an issue for me, but I will be sure to share that information with the support staff that is going at the same time. Some of them fall into the class of 'young and stupid'

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 07:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
OZ is a great place to visit,just down the road a bit.But Manila is nice too.If ya want to practice ya "Slap the captain drills"I'm open.<G>.
I have to admit that I did take a little peak to see just how far Oz and NZ were from where I will be, since they are both countries that I really want to visit. Unfortunately, they are just out of reach. Although I could get there no problem, I would only have a day or 2 to visit, and that just wouldn't be enough. Thank you for your generous offer to practice my 'slap the captain silly' drills! Rick seems to think I've got them down pat now or maybe not based on the frequency of the drills his behaviour
necessitates.

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 07:14   #14

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Has been a while since I was there last, but I don't think any train service will be found. Take the Victory Liners (bus lines) anywhere you want to go. Taxis are the infamous "Jeepnies" that can get you anywhere in the city via established routes. If you need more direct service, take one of the "Trikes" - a motorcycle front end with a 2-passenger buggy attached. The Trikes can take you door to door whereas the Jeepnies cannot. Be sure to haggle with the Trike drivers first. Jeepnies are fixed-price but watch to see that you get correct change. Either can be lots of fun.

My favorite place to visit is Corrigedor Island. You can take a Victory Liner from Manilla to the little bayside town - whose name I've forgotten - and catch a Bonca Boat for the 30 minute ride across the bay to the Island. A Bonca Boat is like a long slender dugout canoe with a long shaft single cylinder engine turning the prop. There is also direct ferry / hydrofoil service to the island from Manilla, but if you have the time, take the bus and see the countryside and experience the people. They are remarkably friendly and most have at least studied English in school, so communication is possible even if you don't speak Tagalog.

If you are at all interested in WWII sites or history, Corregidor is the place to go! This is where MacArthur got run out of the PI and vowed "I Shall Return." Then left his deputy commanders there to suffer in the Malinta Tunnel for a month while the Japanese shelled the island to pieces....

I'd avoid the common tourist trap of Patangan Falls (spelling is not correct, but it will be in all the hotel brochures). It's very crowed with the Boncas who all fight over who gets to take the customers up river to the falls, then once you get there the falls themselves are rather disappointing.

If I recall the Playboy Club was on the top floor of the Hilton Hotel - pretty close to the American Embassy.

Hmm - brings back good memories. Need a tour guide?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:17   #15

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Rick - sorry mate! Looks like that "slap the captain silly" drill thing took on a life of its own. Unless, of course, you like that sort of thing. You were Coast Guard after all....