Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 03:42   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Laphroaig and Aphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
A male perspective LOL. I'm generally of the opinion that if you find a good thing stick to it

Well, yes, maybe we are different

Have you tried any 10€ single malts from Liddl supermarkets? They are OK only for pouring over plum pudding and lighting it and only if it is not a home made made plum pudding that I've lavished love and time on.

I bow to your greater experience ; my local purveyors of liquor must run a different business model when has prevented me from selecting trash , God bless their souls .

Once you find a few you like it can actually be really hard to compare them unless a direct comparison is made (before imbibing too much beforehand - after a few nips anything starts tasting wonderful LOL).

Again my method works well here - it allows one on one comparisons to be made at any time

Nah, not keen on that idea at all:
- I would need to start taking over some of hubbie's workshop space for storage and WWIII may erupt on board .

Sacrifices have to be made at times!

- I am not keen on spending money on a SM that hasn't pushed all my buttons just to have some variety.

I understand - a bit like some potential girlfriends - it can get expensive.
- Open bottles deteriorate in time.

Really, what sort of time frame are we talking about here!

- Single malts are rare as hen's teeth in Greece (they seem to be Johnny Walker fans and personally I would prefer to be drinking rum) so it would only frustrate me trying to source something new.

Hmm... doesn't sound like place I would want to be but then again, I am sure there are some upsides

Buy two and do a blind taste test to see what you prefer (a lot of fun, particularly if you can line up a few). Keep repeating this till you have found a few that give you orgasms (oops, family forum) you really like .
Eyes wide open... oops I see it is a blind taste test.... better stop while I can .

Another difference between us I guess, the effect would likely be the opposite for me but I can say, CF is the forum for learning about the rest of the world; thank you
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 03:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
Now thats an excellent bit of advise Wotname! I had the same streak going many years ago. Unfortunately work took me away from home for a couple of months one time and when I returned I found that the wifes boyfriend had taken it apon himself to sample most of my unopened bottles and put a severe dent in the whole collection. I got even tho, i took what was left of my collection and left him my wife.
Such impropriety, is nothing sacred anymore - still perhaps a small price to pay to find the truth
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-12-2012, 23:05   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
For those who are interested, a very top quality internationally awarded S-M is produced right here in West Oz. They have taken on the best of the Scottish brewers and have not been found wanting. See Awards
Yes, I’m biased but it is darn good!
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of Limeburners. It may be another reason for visiting WA .
I notice they mature some of their whisky in ex Bourbon casks just as Glenmorangie do. It's pricey stuff though! I don't really know if I want to taste it and find I love it, I already have enough expensive vices (sailing primarily LOL).

PS Gotta love the Aussies. Did you notice the water used was filtered rain water as opposed to spring water? I can just imagine it coming off the tin roof complete with possum droppings. Maybe that's what gives it a distinctive edge LOL?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 23:18   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
SW "Open bottles deteriorate in time."

Really, what sort of time frame are we talking about here!
I need to quailify that statement. Bottles that have been opened and had significant quantities drunk deteriorate (due to air exposure). It doesn't take long (days? weeks? I've not conducted any randomized double blind studies with large numbers and a variety of different bottles, but that may be a great topic for a thesis ).
Next time you have slowly depleted a bottle and perhaps a fifth is left, open a new bottle of the same stuff and compare it. There is actually quite a big difference in taste and it is not an improvement!

Old 28-12-2012, 23:32   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Be careful here Nigel, your vegemite eating crew might find a S-M that delights her and after a few, well.......... she has warned you .....and you might not be invited back
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Just hoping the GF is not reading this thread
Oops, forgot my hubbie may be reading this thread as well .

I'd better start behaving .

Old 29-12-2012, 00:10   #36

Boat: 33ft sloop

For a very long time the Laphroaig distillery was run by two respectable old ladies. This very sought after whisky was carefully distributed among the many agents/clients and with some hope we were able to fetch a 100 cartons at a time.

Very respectable whisky.

As to Aphrodite: my new year will begin with the acquaintance of a pretty girl and the most imminent aquisition of a new boat, the 11.50 mtr sloop Fugue, a French design from the late '70s.

The vital element of nuying a new boat was due to the renewal of an old love and my present boat is not able to cover the needs of a couple that wants to live in reasonable comfort.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 00:24   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
As to Aphrodite: my new year will begin with the acquaintance of a pretty girl and the most imminent aquisition of a new boat, the 11.50 mtr sloop Fugue, a French design from the late '70s.

The vital element of nuying a new boat was due to the renewal of an old love and my present boat is not able to cover the needs of a couple that wants to live in reasonable comfort.
Best wishes regarding both new ladies/loves in your life. Smooth sailing .

Old 17-01-2013, 02:04   #38

Been away for awhile (blessing for some - I'm sure) and I have been sailing (would you believe) not CFing so haven't been able to keep up with this thread (again a blessing for some no doubt) .

Quote:
I need to quailify that statement. Bottles that have been opened and had significant quantities drunk deteriorate (due to air exposure). It doesn't take long (days? weeks? I've not conducted any randomized double blind studies with large numbers and a variety of different bottles, but that may be a great topic for a thesis ).
Next time you have slowly depleted a bottle and perhaps a fifth is left, open a new bottle of the same stuff and compare it. There is actually quite a big difference in taste and it is not an improvement!
Good idea, I think I may be able to conduct a single instance taste test and report back accordingly.

Quote:
Oops, forgot my hubbie may be reading this thread as well .

I'd better start behaving .
I'm sure he already knows the truth
Old 28-01-2013, 06:12   #39

Quote:
Finally found time and space to carry out a somewhat unbiassed almost blind taste test as you have suggested.

I had a almost finished bottle of Glenlivet 12 YO S-M (just the standard one) that had been sitting in the almost finished state for 4+ months plus an unopened bottle of the same.

Poured equal amounts of each plus a couple drops of water as is my want and tried each.

At the first tasting, I couldn't tell any difference so I thought I should try some food to kick start the palate. After some steamed fruit pudding and custard (don't say anything ), I tried another taste and I am happy to report there was a minor (for me) difference between the old and the new. The new was a little richer or deeper in flavour but there was not a lot in it. A third taste some minutes later and again I couldn't tell any difference.

So what can I take away from this. Hmm... Seaworthy has a much more worthy palate than Wot but just to be sure, I will (in the future) make sure I don't leave any bottles almost finished. Will just have to ensure they are properly emptied as soon as they are less than half full

Thanks for the idea SWL
Old 28-01-2013, 08:15   #40

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Laphroaig and Aphrodite

I know it's heresy for you SM types but I think the best use of Scotch would be to clean varnish brushes.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 08:30   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I know it's heresy for you SM types but I think the best use of Scotch would be to clean varnish brushes.
You buy the Scotch and I'll clean your brushes
Old 28-01-2013, 08:31   #42
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

not sure but perhaps laphroaig can also be used as a crankcase additive which can remove years of built up carbon and varnish
Old 28-01-2013, 08:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
not sure but perhaps laphroaig can also be used as a crankcase additive which can remove years of built up carbon and varnish
Nah, waaaay too smoky for that
Old 28-01-2013, 08:39   #44

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Laphroaig and Aphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
That's exactly what happened when I last tried it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 08:49   #45

Quote:
For myself, I don't always drink Scotch but when I do, I drink The Macallun 1926 or Dalmore 64 Trinitas. ..........
Quote:
My personal knowledge of Single Malt is, ahem, Internet-based.
Quote:
That's exactly what happened when I last tried it.