Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 18:47   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I agree with Brent if your single...once not... the sole decision on how to live isn't yours to make any more.....not unless you want to be single again......you don't want my opinion if your that selfish towards another.
Nonsense. But quite true in this world of serial non-commitment. If there was any real commitment one could go off sailing with the blessings of the one staying home. Marriage used to be "until death", but is "until the docklines untie" the new vow?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:03   #32

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Your one whom doesn't want to know my opinion of you then.

Autocratic relationships are not the proper definition of till death do us part.

Go back and reread my post...I said "Sole" Decision...if the Other party is OK with everything then its......well OK..

Carry on!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:21   #33

Quote:
Your one whom doesn't want to know my opinion of you then.

Autocratic relationships are not the proper definition of till death do us part.

Go back and reread my post...I said "Sole" Decision...if the Other party is OK with everything then its......well OK..
I am not scared of your opinion of me. Fire away. I'm the luckiest guy in the world - maybe the happiest. That most of the world might despise me matters not.

Autocratic? Hedonistic, maybe. I am certainly not telling anyone what to do. My other party chose the rat race to do what she apparently wants to do, no helping that, and little happiness from what I can tell.
Old 17-09-2010, 21:26   #34
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Fire away.
That would be a really bad idea. Please don't. Anyone.

Right now would be a good time for everyone to step back and be extra thoughtful in the manner they post.

Personal attacks or violations of the be nice rule will be summarily dealt with.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 08:32   #35

No Worries Sarifina:

Wont happen from me..

Im sure Daddle knows its the general attitude, not the person I have opinion on..

Some day well have a beer and I'll straighten out his thinking..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 19-09-2010, 09:14   #36

Boat: Sceptre 41
How Do You Afford the Time to Sail ?

How do you afford not to? It is about the same cost as therapy but much healthier. LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:40   #37

Boat: Silverton 42
One way that my wife and I extend the use of our boat in the PNW, is that in winter we have date night onboard. There's not much better than getting a sitter to look after the kids, get take out, turn on the heat (mind out of the gutter - the boat's reverse cycle a/c), and enjoy a meal and a movie at the marina. We don't even have to head out. We do this every 2nd Friday. We also do day trips in the winter to keep the systems going. The day trips are with the kids. Another use (for example), is when my son has friends over for sleepovers, I'll take my daughter for a sleepover onboard (and vice versa for my daughter having sleepovers). Not only do we get the pleasure of using the boat but we also get some much needed one on one bonding time... I'm lucky, boating is my passion - not my wife's (although she does enjoy it) although she does recognize how wonderful it is and a great family experience. It DOES require her support. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:54   #38

Boat: Lagoon Cat 421 "Happy Cat"
A sailing instructor once told our group.
THERE IS NEVER THE RIGHT TIME TO GO SAILING. JUST GO.
Simple really.
James Joll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 15:53   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
rebel heart--did you play pick up the lifevest just north of the bridge yesterday ?? do you have tanbark sails?? lol----i am waaatching!!-as i repair my boat--i will have lots of time when i am done repairing-i only have 3 things left to fix. then sailing all the time...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:05   #40

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Reading some of these posts, it sounds like some folks think that the only thing in the world worth doing is sailing a boat.

That's fine, but really... the rest of us aren't necessarily sellouts. Sometimes we might actually have additional interests *gasp*.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:08   #41

Boat: Baba 30
You can also take a vacation somewhere tropical and charter. You dont have to limit your location.
I highly recommend finding a job you can do online. We spend 5 months at our home in Maryland , and the rest of the year on the boat sailing around down south. If we have internet, we still can work while we play
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:26   #42

Quote:
Some day well have a beer and I'll straighten out his thinking..
Heh. No worries. Thx for the flowers.
Old 19-09-2010, 19:26   #43

My pleasure mate...Hope to share that anchorage some day..

Old 19-09-2010, 19:51   #44

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
go for it

young man dont worry about the other people go out enjoy yourself get use to your boat dont be scared thats the only way to learn it might scare the hell out of you at first wont be long you will be loving it and when you and your boat come together yall will show the folks on the hill what its all about
Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
Hey everyone! I've got about 4 miles of sailing under my belt...yes that's right...4! And while I love it so far, and my second sailing class is this coming weekend, I have 1 question that the answer to may make me depressed. How can anyone afford to take the time off to go sailing? I would be on the Great Lakes...most likely starting from somewhere near Detroit. Would it take me weeks of sailing to get away from it all? I have this picture in my head of the Detroit River and the Great Lakes just over-flowing with speed boats, and young kids drinking, and beer cans floating in the water. Is that what it's like? Will I need to be able to take a month off from work just to be able to go sailing where 1000 other people aren't already at?

Dave
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 01:06   #45
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Reading some of these posts, it sounds like some folks think that the only thing in the world worth doing is sailing a boat.

That's fine, but really... the rest of us aren't necessarily sellouts. Sometimes we might actually have additional interests *gasp*.
Now that's just weird. Like what else could take priority over sailing? (Except perhaps a good episode of House on a very calm evening?)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote