Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 01:41   #1

Crusing next month...

We are going for cruising next month. Everything is fine, well arranged. But we need to leave the home empty for 15 days (we are cruising to the hearth island for 15 days). I have little worries about leaving the home. Our area is burglar prone and I'm afraid something bad will happen. I don't know what safety precautions are to be taken. I read that if you are going for a travel, it is good to notify the nearest police station about your trip that they will take care of your house. Though they do their best, I don't think you can enjoy the trip properly.
I saw a home security system from a residential security company's portal. I am interested in getting one for my home because it notifies the monitoring station if any break-in happens. Also, the video surveillance helps you to monitor the home from any distance. What are the other precautions or safety measures you would take while you go for a trip?
Pameladz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 04:03   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Crusing next month...

I lived in a rural area and had an alarm. Even with the best response times, thieves still have time to do a quick trip through the house and take anything of value that is easily moved. In my case they made off with about $2,000 worth of stuff and did about $750 worth of damage to the house. They were never caught, my possessions were never found.

My advice, get a good gun safe, attach it to the floor. They are large and can hold quite a lot, not just firearms. Put jewelry, heirlooms, collectables, etc... in the fireproof safe. Pay your insurance premiums.

Alarms aren't useless, they greatly reduce the time thieves spend in your house. Just make sure the alarm company also notifies someone you trust nearby so they can reset the alarm after a break-in. If the company disables it after the first break-in, so the noise stops, and the thieves know you're gone, they could come back and have all the time in the world to get your stuff.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 04:11   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Little provides as much home protection as knowing and being friends with your neighbors.
Old 15-11-2017, 07:25   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

A reputable alarm company to start, good locks on the doors and windows and having someone get the mail, newspapers, packages every day. Have someone mow the lawn or rake the leaves (or shovel the snow).

Hook up a computer or timers to turn lights on and off to mimic your normal use.

Don't post about your trip on social media until you're back home.

Really though, do a search on vacation security on the Internet, not a boating forum and you'll get a lot more ideas.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:04   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Don't associate with the wrong people. Almost all property crimes are some form of inside Job. Sailor boy is correct, your neighbors are your best allies. You might also consider moving. There is no reason to live in an area where random crime is likely.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 10:37   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Could call you local police to inform them you will be away. Many times they will increase patrols in your area to check up on things. Still random, but may help.

Also have someone get mail, pick up papers, (shovel snow?) and keep up outside appearance as you are home. Inside lights on timers in various location inside the home, but no different than as you would do it when home.

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 10:43   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another option is to hire a house sitter. Sometimes liveaboards like to get away from winter to a house for a while. Sometimes someone might have a responsible teenager at home they would lend you.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. Good jewelry in a safe deposit box. It's only *stuff*, and replaceable. You really can't do anything from miles away in a timely fashion, anyway. Short circuit your worried thinking, it can ruin the trip.

Ann
Old 15-11-2017, 11:02   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I doubt you can do much of anything in "less than one month". A reputable security company would need to do a site visit, install a complete system, probably charge an arm and a leg or require at least a year's contract including an effective lease (not purchase) of the system, to start.

There are often changes in the house that need to be made, for instance, replacing thin glass on a rear door or basement window, or replacing the usual cheap door locks with better ones. All of that takes time and money, to see what needs to be done, and then to get it done. A month would be really pushing things.

A system that gives you remote viewing and control over a smartphone usually winds up being more expensive than you think, with more monthly contracts. And if you're 20 miles offshore? There's no cell coverage anyway. A lot of the technology is either vastly overhyped, or quietly overpriced. Caveat emptor.

Here in the US, you might be able to DIY install a decent home alarm system for $500 and get a monitoring station for another $150 per year on annual contract. If the alarm goes off, they'll attempt to make contact, and then call the police, fire, or ems, as fit. But that also presumes you have power or backup power, plus a phone or cellular connection, both of which can be cut.

Protection for 'less than a month' probably means trying to get a homesitter and increasing your insurance coverage, since that can be done in one phone call. Leaving the bigger issue for your return.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:42   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find i have fewer issues if i am friendly with neighbors and donot announce my impending departure.
it dont pay to advertise
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 10:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Don't associate with the wrong people. Almost all property crimes are some form of inside Job. Sailor boy is correct, your neighbors are your best allies. You might also consider moving. There is no reason to live in an area where random crime is likely.
Poverty is a reason to live in an area where random crime is likely.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote