Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2009, 19:05   #1

Boat: Irwin sloop
Commuter Pigeons?

I know of racing pigeons and courier pigeons and there used to be passenger pigeons, so a bird behavior on our little ferry has made me curious. Could there be commuter pigeons? There seem to be three specific birds that ride the Anderson Island ferry to Steilacoom and return later like commuters. One very distinctly marked bird takes the 9:30am over and the 4:10pm back and the other two are less particular about schedule and simply go over in the morning and back in the afternoon, sometimes together , sometimes alone. they are met at both ends by other pigeons and they fly away together. But the distinctly marked bird seems to have a mate at both ends of the ride and nests at both terminals. This is in Puget Sound PNW and I'm curious as to whether this unusual or do birds do this in other parts of the world as well?
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:27   #2

Boat: Bristol 32
This cracks me up. I like to look to see what the local wildlife is up to as well, and I'm glad to see someone else has the time to take in things like the commuting schedules of pigeons. Perhaps they have work over there? Maybe they have family?

Mainebristol
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 20:12   #3

Boat: Irwin sloop
Commuter pigeons

It's only recently that I've payed any attention to this behavior although I noticed them before I didn't realize they were the same birds or that there seemed to be a purpose served. At first I thought they nested somewhere on the ferry but that's not the case. We sometimes have a replacement ferry and the same birds simply take it in stride and continue riding.
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote