Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 11:14   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Climate Change, Part III

Just in case .

Turned out nice again .
Old 31-08-2013, 11:28   #2

Re: Climate Change, Part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just in case .

Turned out nice again .
Gotta say Dave, you have courage!
Old 31-08-2013, 11:44   #3

It is troubling to consider leaders worldwide are like the participants in the Climate Change threads, at loggerheads. Can't even agree on whether or not climate change due to human activities is taking place. And, without at least a smidgen of recognition it is at least possible, sufficient prudent steps are unlikely to be taken in order to avoid the potential consequences.

Can't say more that will add to the conversation. So, I'm outta here!
Old 31-08-2013, 11:48   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Everyone talks about the weather...

Mauritz
The frog must be deaf!
Old 31-08-2013, 11:55   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

okan d when the water rises in 2025, doj, the goat, who else is coming along--we gonna have a dry life and sail over that sunken jetty once known as florida...and over to the rockies, sail over missouri-- yeah right===
i , for one, am not gonna worry about this bs as i have a boat and i can sail to wherever it remains warm. and wet. even with a goat on deck

lemme see---2025 minus 2013 gives us how many years to prepare to move to higher ground---i was ready in 4th grade. except i still owned land.
Old 31-08-2013, 12:14   #6

Well.

Does a prudent person cross a street without looking? If not, they won't see the car that kills them.

Likewise, you can stand in the middle of an empty road with eyes closed, confident no cars are coming. Ignore the possibility - and die as roadkill.

Ignoring easily observable changes in our environment can have consequences. Don't need the charts and graphs to see ice at the poles is melting and breaking away. Does it take a rocket scientist to recognize ice melts when exposed to ambient temperature? Logic suggests the ice at our poles is melting due to warming. Whether due to cyclical variations or not, is it reasonable to accept human activities are contributing? Burying our heads in the sand, or standing firm to maintain the status quo is imprudent.
Old 31-08-2013, 12:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
okan d when the water rises in 2025, doj, the goat, who else is coming along--we gonna have a dry life and sail over that sunken jetty once known as florida...and over to the rockies, sail over missouri-- yeah right=== i , for one, am not gonna worry about this bs as i have a boat and i can sail to wherever it remains warm. and wet. even with a goat on deck lemme see---2025 minus 2013 gives us how many years to prepare to move to higher ground---i was ready in 4th grade. except i still owned land.
You could be right, not being from the colonies what exactly will be left above water if Yellowstone Park goes bang Will you be safe in Mex?

Pete
Old 31-08-2013, 12:55   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok wrong so what do you revommend--are you gonna uninstall the parking lots an d plant trees and reforest the rwin forests and kill off all the excess humanity???

lets get real. WORRYING is crap is only gonna shrorten what ever length life you would have had had chicken little not screamed his greedy fat headoff.

how many decades before this earth implodes---wanna count days--then send out a freeking memo about it---we will undergo changes as we ourselves change with this monumental distraction thrown at us so we donot notice the real stuff going on to limit the lifestyles and freedoms we once enjoyed--these changes can have somehting done about them, unlike the changes in nature. what ye gonna do about the polar caps that were spozed to go away for the scheduled increase in water level predicted when i was in 4th grade--i think that was 1958 or 59--even BEFORE glut and wtf halitosis we underwent with petrochemicals.....
seems to be a good time to watch yer bs and live without the stress of worrying about something we can do nothing about---and live life. enjoy it it is all we have..
dont necessarily close your eyes to stuff--but this was predicted since 1950s. and allegedly we are on schedule. so what is the big deal and what ye gonna do about it--restrict folks's freedoms and travel and bbqing??
we all have a responsibility in this life and some of us actually donot ignore that. some do.
there is no reason to sensationalize anything just for profit, which was what this senationalized bs was originally all about. nothing has changed from the predictions from 1958-59 .

i have a boat. i am ready. earth changes. that is fact. you gonna carry ice cubes to re freeze the polar regions when it is time for them not to be frozen--mebbe somewhere else has a turn being north pole for a bit. let them. is due. mebbe you are strong enough to try to help -push the earth into its new axis---and prevent the gradual changing of things as they are supposed to change now that would be tragic.

pete--i has a boat i has a boat--i is soooo very ready...lol. i will be as safe as any other lol with a formosa 41 on the seas....
Old 31-08-2013, 13:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I for one believe that the time to do something about global warming was 50 years ago. At this point in time the Arctic tundra and arctic ocean is releasing vast amounts of trapped permafrost methane into the air in ever increasing ammounts. Which is one of the main reasons the arctic is warming up and melting so fast. It's already past the tipping point and anything man does now will be far too little far too late.

Yes I believe man has contributed to global warming, but we must also remember that the world on a very long term scale goes through cyclic weather changes. For the last 10,000 years the earth has been an inter-glacial period, between ice ages. If you look at the chart below, the earth has been warming for the last 10K years. It also has done so in a fairly regular pattern

I expect the warming to continue and over the next 500/1000 years will be higher then before, but I would also expect another ice age to start within another 10k years. Of course over the really long term the earth will become cooler and cooler as it moves further and further away from the sun.

The earth seems to be self correcting and will most likely take care of that runaway explosion of certain invasive mammalian species that is currently over breading, over running and over grazing the planet.

We are the Dinosaurs of tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300px-Ice_Age_Temperature.png
Views:	369
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	66264  
Old 31-08-2013, 13:10   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Ignoring easily observable changes in our environment can have consequences. Don't need the charts and graphs to see ice at the poles is melting and breaking away. Does it take a rocket scientist to recognize ice melts when exposed to ambient temperature? Logic suggests the ice at our poles is melting due to warming. Whether due to cyclical variations or not, is it reasonable to accept human activities are contributing? Burying our heads in the sand, or standing firm to maintain the status quo is imprudent.
Sorry my friend but you're Wrong on this one.... I've been waiting to say that. Recent data shows there's more ice up there now and the temps are decreasing. The polar bears are going to be OK.
Old 31-08-2013, 13:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sorry my friend but you're Wrong on this one.... I've been waiting to say that. Recent data shows there's more ice up there now and the temps are decreasing. The polar bears are going to be OK.
You're wrong about Wrong being wrong.

The trend of accelerated warming continues; short-term variances notwithstanding.

Kind of funny that you have no trouble embracing that little morsel of data but reject the near-unanimous, longer-studied scientific conclusion that AGW is real and serious.
Old 31-08-2013, 13:23   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

By the way, you guys make Mr. Wrong happy when you prove him that he is not wrong!

Mauritz
The mule is not for sale!
Old 31-08-2013, 13:47   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As Bruce Lee once said: a Billion Chinese can't be Wong.

Right or wrong the arctic ice cap is 50 percent smaller then it was 100 years ago. But I for one believe nothing we can do in the short term will prevent it from getting worst. Not unless everyone stops driving, which is not going to happen

BTW, being a hippy chick, I rode a bicycle to work for a good part of my working life. Year round, from 16 degrees F to 103 degrees F too. I also don't own a car and near 100 percent of my electric needs is provided by solar. Though that was not always the case.
Old 31-08-2013, 13:59   #14

You know what really irks me about climate change analysis presented to general public? Two completely different systems, ice core measurements for older data and air temp measurements for newer data, are shown as one!

Precision is different, sampling rates are different, sampling method is different, etc. It would be really nice to see what they do to the data to use both datasets in the same analysis.

It's really confusing to see both datasets used at the same time, so I can't understand: is it really happening? Can somebody with a better statistics background clarify?
Old 31-08-2013, 14:16   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
As Bruce Lee once said: a Billion Chinese can't be Wong.
Nice one.
Closed Thread