Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 07:53   #106

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

I used to have a pet peeve on board but it bit too many people so I had to get rid of it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:56   #107

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

ABYC guidelines doesn't prohibit or particularly steer you away from soldering IIRC, soldering is just not supposed the only means of connecting wire.

http://www.marinewireandcable.com/20...cable-and.html
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 13:46   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would never intentionally just screw with their traps. No need to, but if a lobsterman screwed with me or made my safe navigation difficult so be it.

Busting many a fisherman in court was always pretty easy....one more wouldn't bring a tear to my eye.

Pot floats are an issue all up and down the coast in channels...a pet peeve of mine and in line with the thread. Giving me an excuse to take it to federal court would be a bucket list item for me.
How are your dreams lately? Getting any sleep?

Yes, please file! Augusta is the capital. A Maine judge will simply refuse to hear your case. Thus, snipping you and your delusions in the the "bud". Feds? Forget about it. They will never have the chance to hear your case, whatever it is.

Happy boating!

Ps; They are not "floats". They are bouys. Should you ever in your life get to Maine, please let us know.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 14:21   #109

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
How are your dreams lately? Getting any sleep?

Yes, please file! Augusta is the capital. A Maine judge will simply refuse to hear your case. Thus, snipping you and your delusions in the the "bud". Feds? Forget about it. They will never have the chance to hear your case, whatever it is.

Happy boating!

Ps; They are not "floats". They are bouys. Should you ever in your life get to Maine, please let us know.
Based on these posts may be a good place to skip.....the last time I was in Maine the locals were nice.

The process doesn't go like that anyway....but I wouldn't expect you to know.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 15:51   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on these posts may be a good place to skip.....the last time I was in Maine the locals were nice.

The process doesn't go like that anyway....but I wouldn't expect you to know.
The "process"? Oh, you are so right. This is how the process goes:

1) Out-of-state idiot (known in Maine as an "outastatah") decides it might be fun to mess around with lobster pots and buoys.
2) He is noticed.
3) Radio calls go back and forth between lobster boats.
4) Outastatah cannot be located, and his boat is burning.

That's basically the process. Makes it hard to file any court papers.

Welcome to "Vacationland"! Enjoy your boating.
Old 20-03-2015, 16:04   #111
CLOD

Boat: none

My new pet peeve is boaters who keep alive a stupid item about lobster pots by making threatening posts.
Old 20-03-2015, 16:06   #112

What I hate is when people start posting and acting like 8 year olds.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 16:36   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My new pet peeve is boaters who keep alive a stupid item about lobster pots by making threatening posts.
Your new pet peeve is better than mine! You win.

Anyway, some guy way back in this thread suggested tying lobster pots to the rear cleat and towing them around. What on earth do you suppose will happen as a result of such nonsense? Do the math! "Threatening posts?" You better have another cup of coffee.

"8-year-old" postings? Yawn. Please go to Maine and start towing some lobster pots around. It's a fun game, enjoyed by all.
Old 20-03-2015, 16:41   #114

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I never suggested messing with Maine lobstermen's pots. I have read the book "the Lobster Gangs of Maine". Messing with a Maine lobsterman's pots is like stealing from the mafia or Russian mob. The biggest difference is that in Maine the gangs are backed by the government. I just wish they would not be jerks. It's quite clear to me that they treat anyone else on the water as an interloper to be harassed. There is no need to do it but some of them do. I'm sure there are many fine lobstermen that would not go out of their way to harass recreational boater, but there are jerks in every walk of life. It would also be nice if they could leave some pot free channels. It seems that no matter how careful I am I always snag a pot or two each time I go to Maine. I certainly do not do it on purpose as it causes more damage to my boat sometimes than the value of the pot. I do my best to untangle them but sometimes I just have to cut them off. I always feel bad about that, but if they can't leave pot free channels that is one of the consequences. While I'm on Maine lobstermen, why do they have to put their F...ing pots in Mooring fields? In Booth Bay Harbor I think there are more lobster float than mooring balls in the mooring field. Surely the pot loss rate must be extremely high. I can't fit line cutters on my sail drives but many boaters in Maine do. Do lobstermen like loosing equipment?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 16:53   #115

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Two Port Clyde lobstermen are sunning themselves on the rocky beach on Monhegan Island when one asks "How much did you pay for your boat?" The other one replies "Ask me that again and I'll give you a smack in the head!
Ain't gonna happen. The correct Maine phrase is "...I'll smack you upside the head!" And sunning themselves? Never. That's what people from away do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When someone fiddles with something I've fiddled with hundreds of times and they break it!
Worse, when someone fiddles with something I've been fiddling with and they FIX it on the first try.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 17:04   #116
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Your new pet peeve is better than mine! You win.
doesn't seem like it and I doubt you mean this
Old 20-03-2015, 17:07   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I never suggested messing with Maine lobstermen's pots. I have read the book "the Lobster Gangs of Maine". Messing with a Maine lobsterman's pots is like stealing from the mafia or Russian mob. The biggest difference is that in Maine the gangs are backed by the government.
You are damn right about that! It's an "industry". Wars are fought over them. It's huge for the Maine economy. That, and potatoes and lumber. Please go to Aroostook County and start chopping down some trees. You'll be visited by some pretty angry big boys, and real quick.

Quote:
I just wish they would not be jerks. It's quite clear to me that they treat anyone else on the water as an interloper to be harassed. There is no need to do it but some of them do.
They're not jerks. They're just doing their job. So what if they don't care about Mr. & Mrs. Pleasureboater? Why should they? They live there, you don't. They are working, you are not. In essence, you are an interloper, and always will be.

Quote:
It would also be nice if they could leave some pot free channels.
That will never happen.

Quote:
It seems that no matter how careful I am I always snag a pot or two each time I go to Maine.
Yup. Happens to all of us. So what? Deal with it. For both kelp and pot lines, a quick heavy thrust in reverse many times will free you up. Just a hint. Take it, or leave it.

Quote:
While I'm on Maine lobstermen, why do they have to put their F...ing pots in Mooring fields?
Please re-read the above reply. They live there. They do what they want. They don't care about you, or me... and I'm from there and know them.

Quote:
Do lobstermen like loosing equipment?
No, they don't. But it's factored into the cost of doing business. Simple as that. I used to collect lobster buoys that washed ashore when I was a kid. They used to be made out of wood. Now, styrofoam.

Anyway, Bill, just avoid the pot buoys and let the lobstermen do what they want. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 20-03-2015, 17:13   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Ain't gonna happen. The correct Maine phrase is "...I'll smack you upside the head!"
Hey now!! You little rascal! Don't f#%k with me, I'm from there!

Anyway, you're wrong. We do say that! We also say "... or I'll punch your f%#king lights out!" "Ahayuhh!"
Old 20-03-2015, 17:17   #119

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am mildly confused....who would ignite lobster bouys? If you want to cook lobster you need to remove them from the trap first. Igniting the trap will only ruin your meal.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 17:39   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I am mildly confused....who would ignite lobster bouys? If you want to cook lobster you need to remove them from the trap first. Igniting the trap will only ruin your meal.
Wait a second. I'm still laughing.

Anyway, here's something most people don't know. When you get it back to your kitchen, you can take a live Maine lobster and stand it on its head on the counter... its tail in the air and its claws flayed out for support. While holding it with one hand, you gently stroke its back on the shell, and it will soon go to sleep and not move.

Maine lobsters taste better when you toss them into the boiling water asleep.

Fun fact, huh? You heard it here first.

Tags
boating