Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 08:34   #1

Tierra del Fuego

Does anyone have any current info on security in Tierra del Fuego? I know the British are not welcome but are Americans? Currently outfitting my boat with needed upgrades that are recommended for cruising the Patagonia area and since we will need to stop at Tierra del Fuego on our way back to the Caribbean I would like to see what I am getting myself into.
thanks
Kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:16   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
re: Tierra del Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
Does anyone have any current info on security in Tierra del Fuego? I know the British are not welcome but are Americans? Currently outfitting my boat with needed upgrades that are recommended for cruising the Patagonia area and since we will need to stop at Tierra del Fuego on our way back to the Caribbean I would like to see what I am getting myself into.
thanks
Kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann
I am in Argentina these days. Don´t let people tell you tales, or let them tell tales but don't believe them. Argentine criminals will not go to TdF; it is too cold and windy.

Regarding the "Brits not welcome" things; that is pure rubbish. I am British, worked for a British company with operations here and never had a problem in Argentina.

Be nice and respectful and you will get reciprocal treatment. Do the opposite and you will get reciprocal treatment too.

If you need any help send me a PM.

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:58   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I take it you mean the Argentinian bit of TdF. I've never had any problems in Ushuaia with a British flag boat or British passports although a few years ago the Aduana ( customs) were giving all the charter boats a hard time regardless of flag...just because they could.

The only issue would be if you were coming from the Atlantic side and stopped off at the Falklands without getting 'permission' from the mad cow in the Casa Rosada. That would cost you big $$$$ if you then went to Ushuaia. ( edit..ooops...see you are caribbean bound so in that case if calling at the Falklands just clear from PW (Chile) and don't go back to Argentina after the FI.)

Of course you can go from the FI to Puerto Williams and not call at Ushuaia...it is possible to store and fuel and everything at PW ( you can get stores shipped down from Punta Arenas on the weekly ferry if stuff you want isn't available locally).
Old 21-02-2015, 10:11   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
few years ago the Aduana ( customs) were giving all the charter boats a hard time regardless of flag...just because they could.
To the Aduana´s credit all the complaints I heard were from crewed charter business based in an Argentine port that did not meet the most basic legal requirements, which by the way are not that different from those in the USA (local flag,crew, etc). I bet if you try to run a crewed charter business out of St Thomas with a boat registered abroad, foreign crew without work visas, etc you will do much worse than those guys did.

+1 on the caution about Falklands to Argentina nonstop.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
To the Aduana´s credit all the complaints I heard were from crewed charter business based in an Argentine port that did not meet the most basic legal requirements, which by the way are not that different from those in the USA (local flag,crew, etc). I bet if you try to run a crewed charter business out of St Thomas with a boat registered abroad, foreign crew without work visas, etc you will do much worse than those guys did.

+1 on the caution about Falklands to Argentina nonstop.
Correcto.... I don't know how they get away with it on the Chilean side either.

How many 'friends' can one skipper have?

I think there are about 3 charter boats operating legally, Mono's argentinian boat and the two owned by Wolf. I think the other owners' attitude is/was that they weren't operating in Argentina but departing from Ush for foreign parts. On the Chile side however they are operating entirely within Chilean waters.

Re the Falklands I did hear you would be in trouble if you had Stanley as one of your last ten(?) ports so FI/PW/Ush was a non starter as well... don't know anyone who has put it to the test.
Old 21-02-2015, 12:00   #6

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of any problems in TdF until I watched the January episode of "Top Gear" where the crew was attacked by an angry mob of about 200 plus people throwing rocks and to see the damage to the crew trucks was not pleasant. The show blamed the people of TdF for not liking the British. Since we are heading in that direction, I just wanted to see if there was a problem.
Kingwoodie
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 12:16   #7

That was down to a thuggish organisation called Quebracho ( full name Movimiento Patriótico Revolucionario Quebracho) which espouses 'nacionalismo, trotskismo, marxismo-leninismo y guevarismo' and some nonsense about a mythical land called 'Malvinas'. Often to be found burning tyres and british flags when UK registered cruise liners come a calling in BA and Ush.

Not a problem for the cruising sailor.
Old 21-02-2015, 12:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That was down to a thuggish organisation called Quebracho ( full name Movimiento Patriótico Revolucionario Quebracho) which espouses 'nacionalismo, trotskismo, marxismo-leninismo y guevarismo' and some nonsense about a mythical land called 'Malvinas'. Often to be found burning tyres and british flags when UK registered cruise liners come a calling in BA and Ush.

Not a problem for the cruising sailor.
Well, it seems from your posts ("mad cow", really?) that you have a beef with the government of Argentina. As often happens, reality is a bit different:

'Top Gear' spat escalates: police says Clarkson's staff had three plates - BuenosAiresHerald.com
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 13:20   #9

Which bit is different? Quebracho are the people who pull these stunts.

My views are a bit skewed , I must admit, having spent the better part of 18 months in the Rio de la Plata, dealing with the Tigre aduana has left me scared for life.
Old 21-02-2015, 16:07   #10

Re: Tierra del Fuego

A bit more about Quebracho can be found here..
Pro-Malvinas militant groups told by winch workers to keep out of the port of Buenos Aires — MercoPress

Tourism - Cruise passengers en route to Falklands abused in Buenos Aires

“Malvinazo†out-blasted in Ushuaia by ‘Star Princess’ playing “God save the Queen†— MercoPress

And the BA Herald falls into the hands of the Kirchneristas

Buenos Aires Herald falls in the hands of a group close to Cristina Fernandez — MercoPress