Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2016, 15:43   #1

Boat: Irwin 40 Mk II 1982
Shorepower inlet issue

While in the process of doing a minor refit we found the shorepower inlet loose. While attempting to see the cause I removed the plug inlet from the cockpit. While I was reviewing the loose issue I realized I had smoke and heat damage to one of the connections. I found the wire to be fused to the plastic and the metal on the interior of the plug. I removed the inlet as it was part of the refit plan anyway. I am concerned that I need to replace any wiring. I cut the wire that was fused with the expectation of using the old wires. Will using the old wires be a problem with the new smart plug I have purchased?
Lockjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Shorepower inlet issue

I'm sorry but if you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be doing electrical work on your boat.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjr View Post
Will using the old wires be a problem with the new smart plug I have purchased?
Run a new tinned wire from the new plug to the main breaker, one piece, no butt connectors. Make it a size larger for good measure.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

In my experience most of the time the cause for burnt shore power cords is bad wiring on the boat in question. You will want to be vigilant and check the plug constantly after repair to see if it burns up again. If so you have an issue on your boat.
The electrical wiring on a boat is one of the few things you cannot afford to make mistakes with if you are going to do it yourself and have little or no knowledge. I rewired my entire boat including all the panels and I spent A LOT of time reading Nigel Caulder's Electrical Manual and double checking everything every step of the way. To the untrained mind electrical systems in multiple voltages are very complicated and require a lot of caution to get it right.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:54   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

If one of the wires melted where it was attached to the inlet, it's because the pin it was attached to got overly hot. The reason for this is usually that there was a poor connection between the inlet and the shore power cord. A damaged shore power cord end will soon damage the boat's inlet.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:17   #6

Boat: Irwin 40 Mk II 1982

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking just replacing the inlet fitting would be no big deal, until I read another post on the forum. Thank you for confirming for me to go ahead and replace the wire as well as the fitting. Every item on our to do list has caused us two items to be added to the original to do list at the beginning of the refit. The funny part is most of them started with "well since were already there we may as well fix that also" moments for my wife and I. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction and we will be replacing the shore power wiring now as well.
Lockjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower