Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 09:48   #16

Re: Relocating to Texas, July 2019

“Which brings me to my second question, ideas on best boat (32-40) and rigging to sail solo? “
Compromise between comfort and easy handling the boat... I would suggest sloop 35 or 36 foot.
Rac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:06   #17

One of the biggest differences you'll experience in either location is the summer heat. Basically it's unbearable until October-April.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:35   #18

I have lived in South Texas for 35 years and have been sailing the area from Palacios to Corpus Christ since moving here. I have lived in Rockport, TX for the past 15 years and now mostly sail Rockport to Corpus Christi with stops in Port Aransas. Aransas Bay and Corpus Christi Bay are excellent for sailing. Depth is 10 to 14 feet except close to shore. My wife and I sail a Catalina 30 with a 5’3” draft have no problems with the depth of the bays. You just can’t get very close to the shoreline. One of the things I like about this area is good sailing winds, generally between 10-15 with some days 15-20. I think the winds are generally quite a bit lighter in Galveston. Whether you are in Rockport, Port Aransas or Corpus Christi, the remaining two make for fun weekend destinations. They are at least 6 very good marina’s between the 3 towns and too many good restaurants to count. In Port Aransas a common form of transportation is golf carts, which is kinda cool. You can also use them in Rockport, but Corpus Christi, no. I hope you find this helpful...I do admit I am biased towards the area.
Bob Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:49   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerjockey View Post
One of the biggest differences you'll experience in either location is the summer heat. Basically it's unbearable until October-April.
Yes, very hot during those months. You are going to definitely need air conditioning for those months. You didn’t mention your budget but a smaller cat would be nice for you 36’-38’. Even used they are pricey but are very nice if you can afford one. Also I have spent time in the South Padre Island area, very nice and as far south as you can go in Texas. Warmer in the winter, you would thank me later. Laid back, quiet, everything you could possibly need. Check out “Louie’s Back Yard Restaurant “, best buffet you are ever going to have. Seriously, go to these areas first and check them out.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32   #20

I have a bit of the same background as you. From So Cal with a boat in Marina del Rey.
A few years ago I bought a cruising boat in South Texas and based it at Kemah. I traveled from L A to Texas about every two or three weeks working on the boat. I fell in love with the area. So wonderful to work on a boat there. So many friendly people. So many great places to eat.
I looked at Other Texas Coast areas but Kemah was the clear winner.
So many boat related resources located so close to the Kemah marinas. It’s really a no brainer.
I’m cruising now. In Panama but I miss the wonderful friends I made in Kemah. Far to many to mention but I’m sure some of them will read this and know who it is. I miss them and the Kemah area.
Compared to Marina del Rey in So Cal.... well you can’t compare.
Good luck.
PLeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:42   #21

Boat: Catana 471

We've kept boats in the Kemah / Clear Lake area and sailed Galveston Bay for the last 15 years. Summers are punishingly hot at the dock, so as previously advised, be sure you have aircon you can run from shore power. Once on the water, we find it quite comfortable even in July / August. Galveston bay pretty much never gets rough, and we get decent wind pretty much all year long. Great place to get in lots of day sailing, get comfortable with the boat and with singlehanding.

Lots of good marinas, and very reasonably priced compared with other parts of the country. Waterford Harbor is probably best protected, but as a consequence, is the also the hottest (no breeze). Portofino is IMO the best combination of quality docs, good facilities, convenient location, friendly liveaboard community, and gets some breeze since it's located right on the Clear Creek channel. Also check out Watergate and Seabrook Shipyard.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:48   #22

Boat: MS Fisher 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Had a ton of fun, live aboard on a Jeanneau 36i. Easily single handed.
Love the looks of your boat :-)
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 14:01   #23

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2817405]Ive spent a lot of time in Galveston and like it. Its a cool town. Not the most scenic coastal area, but there are marinas & sailing there. If you want a very different sailing experience while there then volunteer on the ELISSA...a barque rigged ship built in 1877...way cool...I was ELISSA crew for a year or so.

There is also a big medical center in Galveston which might be of use to your wife.

Houston per se is not my favorite as cities go.

If you want a good compromise look in Clear Lake/Kemah...thats where most of Houston goes to sail anyway. Much more appealling area to me than Houston proper and its one of the largest concentrations of recrearional vessels in the USA.

Also check out the Harvest Moon Regatta.[/QUOTE

The Galveston area is for the most part great. Four colleges, summer resort, always moving.
Among the sailing suggest checking out the sea scouts base . All the activity you mentioned as well mixture of ages and sailing ability including handicapped sailing and racing.
It is a real enthusiastic program that will introduce you to the community and answer the local questions
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 14:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
We've kept boats in the Kemah / Clear Lake area and sailed Galveston Bay for the last 15 years. Summers are punishingly hot at the dock, so as previously advised, be sure you have aircon you can run from shore power. Once on the water, we find it quite comfortable even in July / August. Galveston bay pretty much never gets rough, and we get decent wind pretty much all year long. Great place to get in lots of day sailing, get comfortable with the boat and with singlehanding.

Lots of good marinas, and very reasonably priced compared with other parts of the country. Waterford Harbor is probably best protected, but as a consequence, is the also the hottest (no breeze). Portofino is IMO the best combination of quality docs, good facilities, convenient location, friendly liveaboard community, and gets some breeze since it's located right on the Clear Creek channel. Also check out Watergate and Seabrook Shipyard.
Well my wife loves the heat so based on what several people have said at least she'll be happy :-) I checked out Portofino but from what I saw the slips were for purchase and I didn't see anywhere they list one's for rent. I'll check more but..........
Old 03-02-2019, 15:30   #25

Boat: West Wight Potter
Exclamation Re: Relocating to Texas, July 2019

Shallow Draft is the byword. Kemah is probably the best for long term liveaboards. There is sometimes the possibility to rent a sailboat to live on to test out the area. Onboard air conditioning is a necessity. The weather is more variable than the West Coast. The relatively extreme high and low temperatures are the factor. Exploring the other bays is fun but watch out for the spoils[dredging wastes left just out of the navigation lanes]. Hurricanes are the real bugaboo.
Christopherlour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 18:07   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
Well my wife loves the heat so based on what several people have said at least she'll be happy :-) I checked out Portofino but from what I saw the slips were for purchase and I didn't see anywhere they list one's for rent. I'll check more but..........
What is her idea of "heat"? Has she ever been in Texas in the Summer? Its only a few degrees warmer than hell.

Air Con is not a luxury in Texas Summer...its life support!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 19:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherlour View Post
Shallow Draft is the byword. Kemah is probably the best for long term liveaboards. There is sometimes the possibility to rent a sailboat to live on to test out the area. Onboard air conditioning is a necessity. The weather is more variable than the West Coast. The relatively extreme high and low temperatures are the factor. Exploring the other bays is fun but watch out for the spoils[dredging wastes left just out of the navigation lanes]. Hurricanes are the real bugaboo.
Thanks for the heads up on the draft/spoils. Hurricanes are part of the reason I'm looking at TX as opposed to FL. Also why Kemah/Waterford was interesting, and if I have to bug out I'd like to be able to have multiple directions to choose from.
Old 03-02-2019, 19:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What is her idea of "heat"? Has she ever been in Texas in the Summer? Its only a few degrees warmer than hell.

Air Con is not a luxury in Texas Summer...its life support!
Too funny :-)

My wife's an Angel but why she needs it so freaking hot is beyond me. We've lived in GA, AZ, etc and she's NEVER complained once. Our thermostat is ALWAYS set at 80. I know that's not hot compared to TX but she likes it hot and not a big fan of air conditioning, maybe her tune will change some but I'm prepared to suffer.......that's why they make beer and ice for my rum :-)

Maybe being married to be is a lot like being in Hell anyway?!
Old 04-02-2019, 15:49   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Waterford Harbor in the Clear Lake area is probably the nicest and most protected marina on the Texas Coast. They welcome live aboards. Floating docks, great maintenance, gym, great pool and jacuzzi, sauna, and a restaurant. Not a single damaged boat during hurricane IKE. Check out there web page: waterfordharbormarina.com You are far enough away from the big city of Houston, but as someone said, near the one of the greatest medical centers in the world. Lots of things to do if you want to drive up, 30 minutes to the city. Lots of quality marine services are available in the Clear Lake, Kemah, Seabrook areas.

I disagree with the posting of 3 ft. Galveston Bay is shallow, average depth is 10 ft. but it is a level bottom, so stay away from the shore and the spoil areas and there is lots this big bay for sailing. I regularly sail on a boat that draws 6.6 ft and there are no issues unless there has been a strong North wind blowing. A Norther blows the water our of the bay, so for a few days each winter, boats cannot get out of the marinas to get to the bay.

Little Yacht Sales is also located at Waterford and is a very good, professional brokerage firm.

There are practically no marinas in Galveston, very few and not really great for living aboard. In Corpus Christi, the municipal marina, T-heads are nice, but docks are locked 24 x 7, making having visitors a hassle, needless to say they are locked up due to crime issues prevalent.

Port Aransas has a ok marina, but suffered major damage due to Hurricane Harvey. Very small town with very small town issues. Lack of marine services, major grocery stores, hospitals, etc. About the same story for the marinas in Freeport.

+1 for all of the above -- my boat ha been in waterford for the last 5 years as we refit and repair and i finish up working-- good place great restaurants to suit every budget- close to the city and medical facilities but without the problems -- we really enjoy it-- also +1 on little yacht sales brokerage-- first class people that have been in business for a long time- they work hard to maintain and keep their great reputation. Talk to Kent- he did a sterling job for me and hius help has continued long after the sale! not connected but they gave me outstanding service
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 21:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
Love the looks of your boat :-)

Good sailing boat, finished mid-pack twice in the Newport to Ensenada race. Cruising spinnaker class.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas