Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 06:17   #46

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Re: Plan?

Agree with Wavewacker - if you join the CG, no need to liveaboard during the stint. They will provide room and board. Just learn all you can about boats, maintenance, navigation, and if possible, diesel engines.

Also, when I was in the CG, our schedule at the station allowed me to have several full days off - much like a fire station. I got a job at a dairy farm. You might look for something part-time that gets you closer to your goals. Work for a small boat mechanic. Get connected with the local sailing club. Pretty easy to find a boat racing team for Wednesday races.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:30   #47

I feel rather dim. The right choice was staring me right the face the entire time.
I'm going to do the CG reserve and get a general education from the local college. Then I can decide to go full time CG or continue school or both.

What year boat is too old?
I know fiberglass/plastic lasts forever but at about what year is the boat most likely going to have serious problems?
stephengrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:34   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Plan?

YAAAYYYYYYY......
Good choice mate..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:54   #49

Ok I should revise that question since it probably gets asked too often.

What were some good years for Catalina, Bristol, ranger, or Morgan?

Or what are some other good little boats?
Old 19-01-2013, 18:18   #50
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

Stephengrem

Plans are great WELL DONE. - step 1 check
Step 2. Action towards the goal.

So congratulations on your first steps.

My path is a little longer... but one step after another I will get back there.

Boat selection.

For the age of boat that I think you are looking at all manufacturing issues will be worked out.
However the issue is age related wear and tare.
That depends on what the PO has done with the boat.

I have never looked at a small Bristol, but the ones I have looked at (40 - 50ft range) have all been really well built.
Morgans seem ok.
Catalina - Lots of people happy with them. Me .. I had a bad experience with one (failed back stay chain plate - oh look there goes the mast...).
Ranger I am unfamiliar with.

When I pick a boat I work out the features I need, want, would like and go hunting.

For me... I need a full shower and 2 cabins and it has to look right (I'm not living on an ugly boat). Want a fin keel - the deeper the better. Would like - Diesel stove. Then I go to http://yachtworld.com/ type in your budget and find those boats that fit my needs..

Happy shopping.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:50   #51

How is your path longer?

That sounds like a great time! A fallen mast what could be better ( other than being swamped)

I'm not In the market quite yet but I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be looking/ saving for.
Old 19-01-2013, 20:02   #52
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

well... longer path...

Summary

Wife unhappy with boats...
Marriage fell apart when I refused to give up working second job which I got to pay for boat - well there was never any money .. so why stop working?
Turns out... I owed a lot more money than I though.. but community property state...so I have to pay back at least half... lawyers sorting out %s..
Also the question of boat as safe home has been raised ( DON'T START ).
So I have to start from considerably less than 0.
But I do have 2 good jobs.. and so it is ~ one year to 0... then 1 year to deposit.
Seattle has a shortage of liveaboard berths so I'm not giving up the one I have. Though I am negotiating to sublet it ...

SO summary...
Pick a boat and life partner with the same criteria. You have to be happy with what they are warts - ozmosis blisters and all. Yes you can work to improve. but... you cant guarantee that.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:28   #53

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Stephangram,
The Coast Guard is a great idea.
You said your favorite place was Santa Cruz. If you want to go to a community college, Cabrillo is first class. Buy an old Catalina 27 with a tabernacle mast and get a slip in Santa Cruz. (the upper harbor there has a very short waiting list)
I lived on a 21' Aurora sailboat when I went to college. Now I'm a retired teacher with a wife, children, grandchildren.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 22:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mub View Post
well... longer path...

Summary

Wife unhappy with boats...
Marriage fell apart when I refused to give up working second job which I got to pay for boat - well there was never any money .. so why stop working?
Turns out... I owed a lot more money than I though.. but community property state...so I have to pay back at least half... lawyers sorting out %s..
Also the question of boat as safe home has been raised ( DON'T START ).
So I have to start from considerably less than 0.
But I do have 2 good jobs.. and so it is ~ one year to 0... then 1 year to deposit.
Seattle has a shortage of liveaboard berths so I'm not giving up the one I have. Though I am negotiating to sublet it ...

SO summary...
Pick a boat and life partner with the same criteria. You have to be happy with what they are warts - ozmosis blisters and all. Yes you can work to improve. but... you cant guarantee that.

Mub
Wow I'm sorry man that sounds like an absolute mess.
Seattle has a lot of nice wooden boats right?

Ah I never thought of that! I watched so many people lower their mast and go under but I never thought I would want to do it myself.
How expensive would a manual tabernacle system be?

21ft? Dude I have a tent bigger than that! ( it's a monster of a tent) but still 21ft would drive me nuts especially if I can't stand up straight. How did you manage that?
Old 20-01-2013, 05:11   #55

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephengrem View Post
I feel rather dim. The right choice was staring me right the face the entire time.
I'm going to do the CG reserve and get a general education from the local college. Then I can decide to go full time CG or continue school or both.

I didn't realize USCG has a reserve component; thought it was only active or auxiliary (volunteer).

In any case, good, go for it! You could also supplement college with some relevant boat-friendly trade school course (e.g., diesels, electrical, etc.) at your convenience.

-Chris
Old 20-01-2013, 15:35   #56

Stephangram,

The trick (in Santa Cruz) is to buy a boat with the tabernacle already installed!! Then who cares how much it costs. Putting a tabernacle on an existing rig is a pretty complicated process. You should be able to get a good boat (with tabernacle) for under 5 Grand.
Sure 21 (or 27) feet is small, but the whole word is your front room, the docks are your yard and neighborhood, and the ocean is right there for you. ...and the ladies love sailors!
Old 20-01-2013, 17:49   #57

Haha well if I was alone I could live in a pocket ship ( once I actually considered beefing up one of those swifty 15 and living in it for a short period while I raised money for something decent http://www.shellboats.com/sbboats.html) but adding my girl and a dog I think I should get something closer to 30-35.
Old 20-01-2013, 18:21   #58

Good luck to you! The Catalina 30 makes a pretty big boat, and can be tabernacled. A tabernacle on a boat that large is a serious deal, but do-able. By the way, there is a Catalina 30 on N dock in Santa Cruz that is rigged for a tabernacle for about 15K. At any rate, good luck to you.
Old 20-01-2013, 19:10   #59

Sounds like a good deal

You said you were a teacher? What did you teach?
Old 24-01-2013, 17:17   #60

I put some thought into this and 20-27 foot is so much more reasonable than 30.

I figure to get myself on my feet I will need a minimum of 10,000. 5 for the boat and another 5 to pay for the survey, the work it needs, slip fees, necessary gear, basic comfort items ( pillows, cooking items, hygiene items), ect

Is this reasonable? Or am I looking more towards 15,000 or 20,000?