Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 16:41   #256

Boat: Pearson 30'
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
I just looked. Not the same boat. French not going anywhere.

They're starting with Oriental and will soon take back the Louisiana Purchase - you'll see.
i got word the Pascal got his brand new (free) starter in the mail today so we will see.
Old 16-09-2013, 16:44   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
It seems that the town is saying that it will be more beneficial to them if there aren't boats permanently anchored in their harbor...

It seems like it would be beneficial to cruisers to know that they can anchor for free for a few days in a harbor that isn't a parking lot.

Do you really see your interests here as benefiting anyone but you? (not being snippy, an honest question)
Once again we come to the point of all anyone had to do was ask, and it took them 4 over months for someone to think of that.
Old 16-09-2013, 16:47   #258

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
Now I believe that when you feel you are wronged it's your duty to make a stand for what you believe in.
So, what do you see as your duty and responsibility to the town you are staying freely in?

Many of your arguing points are what others should do for you. What should you do?
Old 16-09-2013, 16:47   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
OK,maybe it didn't drag. The boat owner is still responsible for breaking free and is still a valid safety concern.

I can walk down the street in nothing but a lime green thong. Legally, I have done nothing wrong. However, I have to be aware that societies norms will be offended and people will give me a negative reaction.

You may have the right to anchor there forever. But don't act high and mighty when people react negatively....you should expect it.

Your right and now it runs chain from the bow to a swivel to the anchors, but that is one of the boats moving with me this week anyways
Old 16-09-2013, 16:49   #260

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Once again we come to the point of all anyone had to do was ask, and it took them 4 over months for someone to think of that.
Ok, ya got me there. Politeness is on its way out, because legal stuff is so much easier than talking to a real person. True, they could have asked you about moving and you could have replied with something about an injury and planning your move out on x-date. Everything would have been fine, and you would have felt that you were being treated as a member of the community, which you obviously feel you are.

Yes, they weren't nice, and they certainly could have been.
Old 16-09-2013, 16:52   #261

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
i got word the Pascal got his brand new (free) starter in the mail today so we will see.
Good luck to Pascal. Does Pascal and his companion have a long term plan?

You know, once he installs that starter, he's going to discover his engine is frozen.

Groundhog Day.
Old 16-09-2013, 16:55   #262

Boat: Beneteau 323
Isn't this harbor made possible by the breakwater constructed and maintained by the Army Corp of Engineers? How is it the town can claim to pay for the anchorage when it is clearly made possible by our federal taxes? Why do we allow towns to take our federal tax dollars to build harbors and then create private marinas which in turn deny us access? Oriental doesn't pay for that anchorage, we do.

I've seen this occur in dozens of harbors and do not understand why US citizens tolerate this theft of public waterfront.
Old 16-09-2013, 16:57   #263

Quote:
So, what do you see as your duty and responsibility to the town you are staying freely in?

Many of your arguing points are what others should do for you. What should you do?
Staying freely in? so now we should dole out freedom based on how much we pay to the government? I buy food in this town, i buy my day to day needs in this town, hardware items this town, at times I even buy a beer that is taxed extra for the tourism board in this town my boat for the past 4 years has been registered in this town, I pay the fees to this town,,,,, I am having a hard time seeing the free part. I have been here for so long that I even vote in this town. Don't forget the only reason I move in to the harbor is my shoulder, and when I move back on the creek my shoulder will still hurt when I make the longer row. As for the "what others should do for me" part? what like where I want them treat me like a decent human? Or the not wanting them to needlessly strip away rights?
Old 16-09-2013, 16:59   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Isn't this harbor made possible by the breakwater constructed and maintained by the Army Corp of Engineers? How is it the town can claim to pay for the anchorage when it is clearly made possible by our federal taxes? Why do we allow towns to take our federal tax dollars to build harbors and then create private marinas which in turn deny us access? Oriental doesn't pay for that anchorage, we do.

I've seen this occur in dozens of harbors and do not understand why US citizens tolerate this theft of public waterfront.

I agree with that. Look at what FL and GA have done. Don't for one second think the marinas in other states are not looking at that. GA your welcome to live abaord for more then 90 days if you pay a marina.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:08   #265

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

OK...if all it took was someone to ask nicely please move...let's have an informal list of requests...

I'm coming through in December and if the town dock is full...I'll need a nice, close by place to anchor...please move by then.

Anyone else like to formally request that inner harbor anchoring space be freed up prior to their arrival?

I'm at least giving the "harbor dwellers" 3 months notice that it woud be nice to share by the time I get there.

How that? I asked nicely...
Old 16-09-2013, 17:10   #266

Quote:
Good luck to Pascal. Does Pascal and his companion have a long term plan?

You know, once he installs that starter, he's going to discover his engine is frozen.

Groundhog Day.

Maybe not one of his friends told him about all the churches that give away free food, and even money in Beaufort.

Before you think it's me, it was not but I did agree with it when asked. if the motor is I have a friend that will tow him down if he wants. i know it's just pushing the problem on, but I have a feeling the ppl on town creek with set him right pretty quick, and have him wanting to get back across the pond. But even if not, there has one thing being around the world twice has taught me is a con will rarely work the same town twice in a short amount of time, so if town creek doesn't work out for him he might not comeback anyways, at least not anytime soon. Also his visa is not good forever, INS was here last week and gave him 90 more days but sooner or later that will end too.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:13   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OK...if all it took was someone to ask nicely please move...let's have an informal list of requests...

I'm coming through in December and if the town dock is full...I'll need a nice, close by place to anchor...please move by then.

Anyone else like to formally request that inner harbor anchoring space be freed up prior to their arrival?

I'm at least giving the "harbor dwellers" 3 months notice that it woud be nice to share by the time I get there.

How that? I asked nicely...
I will be out by the end of the week
Old 16-09-2013, 17:18   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Ok, ya got me there. Politeness is on its way out, because legal stuff is so much easier than talking to a real person. True, they could have asked you about moving and you could have replied with something about an injury and planning your move out on x-date. Everything would have been fine, and you would have felt that you were being treated as a member of the community, which you obviously feel you are.

Yes, they weren't nice, and they certainly could have been.

Thank you and like I say please fill out and mail in one of the towns surveys if you would like to help improve the town for cruisers

http://www.townoforiental.com/vertic...r_Festival.pdf
Old 16-09-2013, 17:27   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If the real issue is allowing others to anchor, then perhaps those boats must move if ever there are 2 boats at the temp dock. If you are required to move when others arrive, that might be a better rule, although a lot more complicated to 'enforce' than strict time rules.
If the boat can't move, then it is a problem.
I read the article on the French boat, and everyone needs help sometimes,
but you help those who help themselves, and by help themselves I don't mean shoplifting.
They can find some work instead of begging, if you can't make a few hundred dollars in six months you are not really trying.

First off I love!!!!!! Catamarans, You know everyone does need a helping hand from time to time, but trust me this guy has ate more free food, smoked more free cigs, drank more free beer, and spent more free money then anyone I know, and i have been many places in the world. Trust me he is a con.
Old 17-09-2013, 06:18   #270

This is public space. You have no "right" to occupy it long term. It may have been tolerated. It may not have been enforced. In the past, they may have even encouraged it. But you have no "right' to occupy it long term. The "rights" you wax on about are related to safe water transport which may include anchoring for short periods.

Just like you can't take your RV to a city park and set up residence permanently in the parking lot. It is a public park, so you are allowed to visit and if the RV is small, it may be legitimate to part there for an afternoon but when you try to permanently take over the area for your personal use, it takes away that use from the rest of the public.

As public space, I have as much "right" to anchor in that exact spot as you do and by monopolizing it, you have "shrunk" my rights.
Closed Thread