Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 15:29   #1

Livingaboard on the ocean

Hey guys,

This is my first post and although this question sounds stupid, please have some patience with me.

So I'm planning to buy a 38' cruiser sail boat and I'm planning on living on it in various places - including the ocean.

So I already know it's possible, but how safe would something like that be? How long could I theoretically live on a boat on either the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. What parts would be the safest?

Thanks guys!
warvstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 15:50   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Livingaboard on the ocean

The tropics (outside of hurricane/typhoon season) and subtropics; not the "Roaring 40's". Someone's got to keep an eye out for shipping and other hazards at sea, not to mention trimming sail (or altering course) in changing conditions.
[...and I did all that without one wisecrack!]
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:04   #3

Thanks very much snort! That is exactly the sort of reply I was looking for!

So I'm no expert on ship maintenance, what sort of worries do I have with corrosion - for instance on a steel boat or maybe a better question would be, what sort of boat material would stand up the best for long periods in salt water?
Old 03-08-2012, 17:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
The tropics (outside of hurricane/typhoon season) and subtropics; not the "Roaring 40's". Someone's got to keep an eye out for shipping and other hazards at sea, not to mention trimming sail (or altering course) in changing conditions.
[...and I did all that without one wisecrack!]
OK... I really gotta give you an atta boy for that one. It must of been hard
Old 03-08-2012, 17:14   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by warvstar View Post
Hey guys,

... How long could I theoretically live on a boat on either the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. What parts would be the safest?

Thanks guys!
Just to make sure I understand your question. Do literally mean living on the ocean...as in not at anchor/mooring/tied to dock, but well offshore in the ocean?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Thanks very much snort! That is exactly the sort of reply I was looking for!

So I'm no expert on ship maintenance, what sort of worries do I have with corrosion - for instance on a steel boat or maybe a better question would be, what sort of boat material would stand up the best for long periods in salt water?
With all due respect, at this point it appears you actually don't know enough to ask questions that could be useful to you.

Start off by reading through a lot of posts on here, and perhaps get something like "Sailing for Dummies" book... which gets you at least in the right direction.
Old 03-08-2012, 17:53   #7
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

I live in a 39' boat on the Pacific Ocean but I'm tied to a dock in a protected harbour

Others live on boats waaaay off shore but they are living on the boat in the same way a commuter lives on a bus... for a relatively short time while they get from point A to point B.
Old 03-08-2012, 18:05   #8

Boat: grampian 26

[QUOTE=belizesailor;1005041]Just to make sure I understand your question. Do literally mean living on the ocean...as in not at anchor/mooring/tied to dock, but well offshore in the ocean?[/QUOTE

I think he wants to live in "Water World".
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:19   #9

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

I would suggest to read Reid Stowe's blog "1000 days at sea" - very interesting.
T.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:47   #10

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Hey guys,

This is my first post and although this question sounds stupid, please have some patience with me.

So I'm planning to buy a 38' cruiser sail boat and I'm planning on living on it in various places - including the ocean.

So I already know it's possible, but how safe would something like that be? How long could I theoretically live on a boat on either the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. What parts would be the safest?

Thanks guys!
This is like asking "I intent to live in a country I never heard of and never visited please let me know what are the pitfalls of living there because I saw a beautiful post card and I am now interested in moving there", when something of this magnitude is considered, the least one should do is read about the subject everything that can be found and meet people with experience with the topic! What others think of living "on the ocean" may not meet your expectations, do you research and start by understanding what boating is all about! The "post-card" you saw is probably not what living aboard and cruising is all about. Like some of these ads where the retiring couple goes to the bank and buy the nice beautiful sailboat and go travel around the world! Yeah right!
Old 03-08-2012, 19:02   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Come on guys, play nice.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:08   #12

Thanks for the replies guys!

You got er belizesailor.

rolandgilbert99,

I've never heard of anyone living at sea for extended periods of time like I'm planning to do.

"I intent to live in a country I never heard of and never visited please let me know what are the pitfalls of living there because I saw a beautiful post card and I am now interested in moving there" I don't see what's wrong with this, other than people live in countries and it's relatively easy to find information on doing so. I have lived many places around the world.

Your next sentence "when something of this magnitude is considered, the least one should do is read about the subject everything that can be found and meet people with experience with the topic!" This is currently my mission, I have been scouring the net for information and "meeting" people here with experience.

"What others think of living "on the ocean" may not meet your expectations, do you research and start by understanding what boating is all about!" I'm well aware that nothing could really prepare me for such a journey. I'm just looking for as much info as I can get on the matter.

Edit: To clarify a bit, I probably wouldn't stay out for more than a month anyway because I'd like to resume a social life at some point. Also thanks Tristan, I'll look into that!
Old 03-08-2012, 19:28   #13

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Yes, my reply may have sounded a little rough, but nowadays there are so many boomers who just discover "sailing" and think that they can just learn the whole thing in one week with a little bit of research on the internet, and it may not be the case for you. I have been boating for over 40 years and am still learning a lot about what boats are about. And it gets me a little bit amazed when I see those grey headed guys walking by the boats in our boatyard looking for a good bargain to take off next year, when they retire, to cross the Pacific... Or one of my neighbour who sold his business and is planning on "sailing around the world", but does not know anything about sailing, does he know if this is really the lifestyle he is looking for? So don't take my words as direct critics to you, just a comment on what some people believe...
Old 03-08-2012, 19:43   #14

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The most important thing is to get yourself an awesome offshore cruising yacht that is up to the job of taking you anywhere you want to go in the world. Then you don't have to worry about where you are going or how long you can stay there. You can go wherever you want and pretty much stay as long as you want weather conditions permitting.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:21   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having spent much of my life either working or living aboard, my advice is to learn ALL the systems on your boat and be able to touble shoot, jerry-rig, repair and live without systems that go bad. By this I mean not only mechanical, but electronic, electrical, sail repair, running and standing rigging, learn navigation, weather forecasting, self-sufficiency, minimalist living and how to properly provision for months at a time.
You cannot beat the lifestyle, the solitude, the wonderful community of cruisers and sense of accomplishment you find either passage making or arriving in an anchorage and swinging on a hook somewhere for weeks.
I've met many a sailor/power boater who left home port without being properly prepared and they tend to be pahrias on the rest of the cruising community and wear out their welcome very quickly. I feel badly for them because while they started out with an admiable dream, it was destroyed through lack of planning, knowledge and occasionally just plain bad luck.
Don't give up your dream but prepare yourself... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote