Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 13:54   #16

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Living while on "the dry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What is your strategy, as a liveaboard, when your boat is above ground (on the "dry") for maintenance? A women we met who lived aboard Elizabeth II stayed in her daughter's apartment while the ship was drydocked.
Mother is the root of all problem then solutions. In my case, I was up on the slips over 4 days and 3 nights...

I have good solar and wind gen setup living on board was not a problem except when nature calls. In my case I have a Lavaic head, that I line it with a disposible bags from aldis these bags are perfumed comes in a roll in a number of colors, the bag covers the bowl over the rim nicely then put the seat down and start reading LOL.

Once done rebag head no need to get your hands dirty with the brown stuff, pull the bag out at each sitting LOL as your wast goes into the bag and instead of flushing you bag it and throw it out with the ship yards garbage. As to the pee go into a disposible container.

This solution beats not eating or drinking for a few days or going up and down the ladder and find the slips tolets are locked for the night.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 15:37   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

We lived in the boat while working on her outside.

Last time in the boatyard (6 months) I loved it, I could reach for oranges from the bow, over the fence. When they came to collect the fruit, I went humbly to the owner and wanted to pay up. He gave me a smile and a bag of lemons.

I LOVE Spain.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 16:51   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Have done both...staying on board and renting small studio as a storage/sleeping locker
A lot depends on the work you are doing..... If you are redoing the galley/interior then getting off the boat should help you finish sooner
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 02:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Also makes life easier if you have a composting head.
Another reason to buy one, I love the way you slipped that comment in! The last time I saw composting heads on the forum there was lots of shitty comments about saving your waste. Being able to use the loo when on the hard standing is just pooetry to my ears.
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:10   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 36

We always stayed onboard at the time it was our home. I would build a new 2x4 ladder and chain to to the stanchion. Have a little Jiffy-John for pee and disposed of it in the mens room in the morning.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote