Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 19:32   #106
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

We have a 75# CQR as primary on 310 feet of 5/8 chain. It seems small on the bow. No lifting and hurling. Hurling is after the beer. We will probably switch to a 125# Supreme next season. Replated the chain using ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home Armored galvanizing. We are really happy with it.


ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120013.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	35667   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	35668  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220011.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	35669  
__________________

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:36   #107
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have a 75# CQR as primary on 310 feet of 5/8 chain. It seems small on the bow. No lifting and hurling. Hurling is after the beer. We will probably switch to a 125# Supreme next season. Replated the chain using ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home Armored galvanizing. We are really happy with it.



ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home

Vee berth looks a bit cramped....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:47   #108
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews
LOL... And hopefully you can figure out how to get the gps to xmit your call sign as required by FCC regs every 5 minutes and at the end of the transmission.
Not needed... handset will do that automated in morse. Most countries where we cruise only know one thing about HAM radio: extra income.

tsk tsk am I the only HAM using automated modes?

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:49   #109
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Vee berth looks a bit cramped....
Nah.. looks like some secret new type of anchor

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:03   #110
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

I always take a couple of transits.. Eg a big tree and a radio mast in the distance. And, from another angle, say a bridge pylon and a building further away. I also mention it to any crew on board so they can also have a peek from time to time. Obviously there will be a little movement in the transits as the boat swings, but its a basic way of knowing exactly what the anchor is doing- or not doing
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:08   #111
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Posts: 359
Images: 3
Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Either way, it's quite the discrepancy. What's the right answer?
I don't know where y'all anchor, but there is no way you will be able to put out that much rode in any popular anchorage on the east coast of US, you may not drag, but you'll be colliding with everyone else who is 5:1 on a wind shift.
Tom
__________________
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:19   #112
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I don't know where y'all anchor, but there is no way you will be able to put out that much rode in any popular anchorage on the east coast of US, you may not drag, but you'll be colliding with everyone else who is 5:1 on a wind shift.
Tom
Not if I get there 1st....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30   #113
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not if I get there 1st....
I have to agree with Tom that it isn't as easy as that. You can't just claim a huge space for yourself by going for a huge scope on the anchoring rode. 5:1 is defendable or, when it's nice calm weather, 3:1 might be needed to fit everybody in. When you then declare to go 10:1 or 14:1 and that, as you were there first, the others must leave the anchorage, is a bit like Scrooge

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39   #114
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have to agree with Tom that it isn't as easy as that. You can't just claim a huge space for yourself by going for a huge scope on the anchoring rode. 5:1 is defendable or, when it's nice calm weather, 3:1 might be needed to fit everybody in. When you then declare to go 10:1 or 14:1 and that, as you were there first, the others must leave the anchorage, is a bit like Scrooge

cheers,
Nick.
Yup.... I Hate Christmas as well....
I tend to avoid the popular spots by the way... they're what I'm getting away from... the Mobiles and generators and assholes buzzing my boat on jet bikes and overpowered ribs...
Ever notice how little natural life there is around the popular anchorages... apart from the ***** Hawks...
Should add... works well in Europe.. but then we have strong tides here... so most lay out the chain... except power boats.. they're the same all over
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35   #115
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,030
Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I don't know where y'all anchor, but there is no way you will be able to put out that much rode in any popular anchorage on the east coast of US, you may not drag, but you'll be colliding with everyone else who is 5:1 on a wind shift.
Tom
We mostly sail the north shore of Lake Superior, so crowds are not a problem. If we even see another cruising sailor out here it is a cause for celebration! But we used to sail in the North Channel (Georgian Bay), and there we would have to anchor in some very crowded locations, often on inadequate rode.

I am a polite Canadian, so I am always conscious of taking too much space, or blocking others from the anchorage. Especially if there are few other options for anchoring in the area. BUT, at some level this becomes a dangerous practice.

Crowded anchorage with boats set on inadequate rode
+
fast-moving cold fronts or thermal-induced thunderstorms
=
Dangerous Mayhem, and numerous insurance claims.


Crowded anchorages are one of the reasons we are seriously considering trucking our boat to the PNW to start The Big Cruise (in a year or two). Seems the crowds are not nearly as thick over on the west coast of NA.
__________________
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44   #116
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly

We mostly sail the north shore of Lake Superior, so crowds are not a problem. If we even see another cruising sailor out here it is a cause for celebration! But we used to sail in the North Channel (Georgian Bay), and there we would have to anchor in some very crowded locations, often on inadequate rode.

I am a polite Canadian, so I am always conscious of taking too much space, or blocking others from the anchorage. Especially if there are few other options for anchoring in the area. BUT, at some level this becomes a dangerous practice.

Crowded anchorage with boats set on inadequate rode
+
fast-moving cold fronts or thermal-induced thunderstorms
=
Dangerous Mayhem, and numerous insurance claims.

Crowded anchorages are one of the reasons we are seriously considering trucking our boat to the PNW to start The Big Cruise (in a year or two). Seems the crowds are not nearly as thick over on the west coast of NA.
When the weather is not stable, nice and calm, a scope of 5:1 has to be allowed. We tend to anchor 3:1 often when room is tight, but even though we never dragged, I don't feel very secure with it and worst squalls we got at this short scope was 40-45 knots.

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44   #117
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
I find that the crowded spots are usually being occupied by folks who have to row ashore. With a 10' rib with a 15hp engine, I don't mind anchoring deeper at all, especially if I can find a spot where I'm not downwind of boats with HDP (high drag potential.) I'd rather anchor deep at 5/1 than shallow at 3/1, although with an all-chain rode I'm usually happy spending the night at 4/1.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:03   #118
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,769
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

when i sailed in gulf of mexico with a friend, i found anchor drag alarms will allow you to sleep a lil too long before quietly beeping that the dragging is happening. i trust my anchor watch protocol better--is totally electricity free, and works perfectly every time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:08   #119
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have a 75# CQR as primary on 310 feet of 5/8 chain. It seems small on the bow. No lifting and hurling. Hurling is after the beer. We will probably switch to a 125# Supreme next season. Replated the chain using ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home Armored galvanizing. We are really happy with it.


ArmorGalv | Michigan Metal Coating - Home
5/8 " -- are you sure??? looks more like 3/8 to me! 5/8 is pretty damn big chain for a yacht of your size IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:09   #120
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
when i sailed in gulf of mexico with a friend, i found anchor drag alarms will allow you to sleep a lil too long before quietly beeping that the dragging is happening. i trust my anchor watch protocol better--is totally electricity free, and works perfectly every time.
You sound very experienced in it

cheers,
Nick.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liveaboard Fees sailorwoman Liveaboard's Forum 8 09-12-2011 15:07
Crusing , Passage Making and General Liveaboard Videos fyodor1564 General Sailing Forum 20 30-07-2011 16:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.