Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 10:19   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Is the Caribbean a rip off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchcailloch View Post
Yes its expensive and the fees for leaving the yacht there extortionate.
Fees for entering islands can mount up.......when here in the UK we don't charge.
I've been in the Caribbean for 3 years and the maxim is correct that going from Trinidad, the further north you go the further north they go

Go now, it won't get any cheaper and you won't regret it!

I TOTALLY cant agree with that - from St Martin/Sint Maarten south to Martinique and including the VI's US and BVI we dont find anything expesive.....

YES St Barthelmey can be expensive but being the Cannes of the Caribbean what else do you expect?

Doubly so as most of the shops are well known 'expensive name barnds'.

BUT you can still buy food AND eat cheaply in St Barthelmey and the checking in and out is easy and the prices are on par with all of the French Islands though now they are charging some sort of per head per day fee for even picking up a 'free national park mooring'

Why they want to do that to 'cruisers' when they have all the mega yachts docking and anchoring there beats me......

BUT then when we hauled in Philpsburgh in Sint Maarten we were charged pilotage fees.....even though we did not have and did not need a pilot AND we were told if we had come in to anchor in the evening the pilotage fees would have doubled.

Now that IS a rip off, but I don't see the Caribbean as a rip off area and we have been cruising here for over ten years now.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:36   #17

We have lived in the Virgin Islands on our boat most of the year for many years.....We've not found a better way of life and have checked out a great deal of options.

Like anywhere else there are more and less expensive places to shop and dine. You'll find those that fit your needs.

The beauty and variety here is awesome.....Take a charter and check it out for yourself.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:45   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I found there where two worlds. The expensive one of US ex-pats and tourist wirh A/C, us style supermarkets and gated compounds (which includes marinas). The local world of fishermen, street parties, scrawny chicken and fish on the barby was very poor but much more interesting and cheap. You do need to keep your eyes open though. I made the mistake of giving a local worker all the manuals relevent to looking after the boat and detailed instruction of what to do written out for him. Wasn't until it all went wrong that I found he could not read! My mistake, cultural competence matters
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:50   #19

Boat: Oyster 55

The Caribbean is NOT a ripoff! Is that your own assessment or someone told you?
Just research the areas you want to go. As previously stated some are more expensive than others. I have found marinas less expensive than here on the East Coast. The skill of the workers are hit and miss just like the states.
I was born in the Caribbean and have sailed to most of the places that I want to go since the late 70's. Lived in Barbados, Jamaica and the Caymans. Have sailed as far south as Venezuela however not recommended at present time. I miss it every day that I am stuck here in the cold. I have never been sailing in the Caribbean enough that I was ready to come back to the states.
So I say go and experience it for yourself......you will never regret it!
As others have said the Bahamas are a bit more expensive but close enough to give you a taste without the journey it takes to get to the Caribbean. Just say away from Nassau!
Ironically the best place in the Caribbean as far as beauty, diversity, marine life, cheap prices,, food, culture and safety is the closest....Cuba. But have only cruised the southern coast.
I wish you the best of times and a safe passage in wherever you choose.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:59   #20

Boat: Oyster 55

BTW I have been ripped off much more in Nantucket, Newport and Annapolis etc. than I ever have in the Caribbean.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 16:13   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Simply a reality question. Supply and demand. You can get a Motel 6 room here in Ohio in January for $45.00. A Motel 6 room in Miami, probably about $90.00. It's nice and warm in Miami. It's nice and warm in the Caribbean too, plus a lot prettier. I would say if you can afford to cruise in the US you should be able for not too much more to cruise in the Caribbean. (Do some research).
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 16:34   #22
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I'm funny that way, change is my spice of life.

Sing it, brother. The places I like best are the ones I haven't seen yet.
Old 07-01-2016, 17:10   #23

Boat: Leopard 47

If you anchor and cook your own food and mix your own drinks --- It's all wildly worth it. You will pay for water and also for filtered water -- but just drink rum!
Don't buy any leather goods. Get them from Amazon.
Old 09-01-2016, 17:12   #24
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Sing it, brother. The places I like best are the ones I haven't seen yet.
I will join in that chorus, but with the addition that I love being able to stay in my own home while traveling. Best of both worlds.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote