Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 05:29   #1

Future Live Aboard

Hello everyone I am currently really liking the idea of living on my own boat (don't own one ATM) and setting sail so I would love to hear your experiences on what its like.

Thanks
OceanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 06:30   #2

I am thinking of doing the same. Wondering what size people recommend starting off with?
TrojanF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 06:51   #3

Re: Future Live Aboard

This is such a broad question, OceanRanger. You might want to read a few sailing blogs to get an idea of what their lives are like.

This site links to many sailing blogs and bloggers' posts on specific topics (disclaimer, I am affiliated with the site, which is not-for-profit): The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives

These are links from my own blog from several years ago describing an ordinary day living aboard in a marina, and a conversation with new potential liveaboards about what its like: Life Afloat Archives: Remind me again why I wanted to do this living aboard stuff? and Life Afloat Archives: An Ordinary Day or maybe Life Afloat Archives: What’s it like to live on a boat in the middle of downtown Washington, DC?
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:00   #4

Trojan - in my personal opinion ... the best size is the smallest thing that won't feel like camping out. The bigger you get, the more expensive everything becomes, heavier, more complicated and takes so much more strength to move around. On the other hand, too small feels like camping out and you won't like it. The first link I posted for Ocean Ranger also discusses size.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 11:46   #5

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

I second wingNwing on reading some liveaboard/cruiser blogs, they are the best source for a glimpse inside the lifestyle with all its ups and downs. They are also very diverse: some are travelogues, some are how-to repair/refurbish guides, mine is the soap opera of my life aboard.

I also recommend the book The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat. It's a quick read that covers a lot of things for one to consider while boat and marina shopping. The detail in blogs and forums may also be more easily sifted through after reading the book, particularly if you are new to boating. Even if you don't want to buy the book, the information and videos on the website Living Aboard | The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat by Mark Nicholas | Living Aboard.net are a good resource, and the free excel spreadsheet on the website can help with budgeting.

If you know you want sail, I highly recommend How to Inexpensively and Safely Buy, Outfit, and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World. http://www.amazon.com/Buy-Outfit-Sai.../dp/1456310038 Inspiring, funny, practical advice, especially for those of us on a shoestring budget.

The smallest boat that you can comfortably live on is what I suggest. Do not let others tell you that you have to have at least 35' or 45' or whatever. Some people live happily on 25' boats. It is very much a matter of your personal lifestyle and preferences and the layout of the boat. Be conscious of whether the length of the boat bumps you up into the next larger slip size...two extra feet may cost you thousands in annual dockage. Go see as many boats as possible in person, taking note of what you liked or didn't like, how floorplans differ, how galleys and amenities differ. Pretty soon you'll be able to sense what works for you and what doesn't.