Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2012, 07:27   #1

Cruising Budget

Hello all, I know this subject has been run many different times before and is almost impossible to answer perfectly. There are a million variants I know. However I am just trying to see if there is anyone that is close to our situation and maybe we can correlate on budgets. We have a 2003 47 foot lagoon laying in Malaysia. We plan to take her from there to South Africa, then the med and final destination the Caribbean. The vessel has allot of solar, a wind gen and dual water makers. So that makes life allot easier. It is just my wife and myself - both in early 40's. We enjoy eating out as much as we do cooking at home. We do not plan to do the tightest budget cruising but we are also are not millionaires. When we get to new destination we do plan to explore them and if this means renting a car and doing a few road trips, then we would like to do that. We also know marinas are expensive and actually prefer being alone on hook than in a marina. We also understand leaving the boat alone in some places is a is NO NO. From everything we have found online over the years of planning this adventure, we have set out yearly cruising budget at $40k. So is there anyone in a similar situation as us that can tell us if we are in the ball park with this figure or dreaming? Oh this budget is solely our cruising budget, which hopefully will include boat maintenance, we have no bills back on land. I am a Y4 boat engineer, diesel mechanic, a listed marine surveyor and have rebuilt allot of boats in my life, so 99% of maintenance/repairs will be done by me. Thank you all in advance. Hope to meet some of you in the next few years.
Timtim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 07:33   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Cruising Budget

Doable in the Adriatic we are averaging $500/week for just two of us some hire car, some marina/quay and some restaurant meals.
When we go over we stay in a bay secluded ie no shops!!!!

Untowards and mods will always impact.

Don't run to a timetable is critical.

Cheers Frank
Old 25-08-2012, 08:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I suspect that your $40k budget would be considered "flush", by most cruisers' standard; and you should have little problem accommodating your described lifestyle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 08:53   #4

Even if I'm not experienced in that, I don't think that 40k $ per year is too low, when you are out the Mediterranean and of the € zone the world isn't so expensive I think that your budget is enough to make a really decent and happy cruise
I understand exactly your concern, I'm going to survey and maybe buy a Lagoon 440 because I always dreamed to live abroad with my girlfriend but I'm a bit stuck for the same problem you have (annual budget), If I had another couple of friend interested in doing this kind of life it would be definitely lighter sharing the costs.
Why don't you find a couple of friend that want to share your dream till to Mediterranean and of course the costs too ?
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 06:03   #5

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtim24 View Post
Hello all, I know this subject has been run many different times before and is almost impossible to answer perfectly. There are a million variants I know. However I am just trying to see if there is anyone that is close to our situation and maybe we can correlate on budgets. We have a 2003 47 foot lagoon laying in Malaysia. We plan to take her from there to South Africa, then the med and final destination the Caribbean. The vessel has allot of solar, a wind gen and dual water makers. So that makes life allot easier. It is just my wife and myself - both in early 40's. We enjoy eating out as much as we do cooking at home. We do not plan to do the tightest budget cruising but we are also are not millionaires. When we get to new destination we do plan to explore them and if this means renting a car and doing a few road trips, then we would like to do that. We also know marinas are expensive and actually prefer being alone on hook than in a marina. We also understand leaving the boat alone in some places is a is NO NO. From everything we have found online over the years of planning this adventure, we have set out yearly cruising budget at $40k. So is there anyone in a similar situation as us that can tell us if we are in the ball park with this figure or dreaming? Oh this budget is solely our cruising budget, which hopefully will include boat maintenance, we have no bills back on land. I am a Y4 boat engineer, diesel mechanic, a listed marine surveyor and have rebuilt allot of boats in my life, so 99% of maintenance/repairs will be done by me. Thank you all in advance. Hope to meet some of you in the next few years.
We live aboard our 32ft Colvic Watson 50/50 all year in Morlaix Brittany France. We cruise the coast of France and the Channel Islands between April and September. We have a small Renault Clio. With insurance for the car and the boat, summer mooring fees,fuel,and food for the year plus going out about once a month it cost a total of about £8000 a year. We are at the moment in a little port called Binic they have a lovely market on Thursdays and many great resturants. A typical 2 course meal with coffee will cost you about 50 euros. Hope this is if some help to you.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, cruising