Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2007, 05:20   #1

Catamaran Liveaboards in the Northeast

Does anyone liveaboard a catamaran during winter in the Northeast? I would imagine that the Bridgedeck, being above water (thus lacking the insulating properties of water), would make the inside much colder. Is this true? If so, how do you insulate/cope with it?

I plan on moving to the NY/CT area for the first of the year. I have been reading these forums extensively about the liveaboard lifestyle, and winter is the only thing that concerns me (I currently live in Louisiana...snow (and winter for that matter) are more of a fairytale than a reality.

I realize that many people who look for the easy answer just shoot off a question without reading the forums...But I have done my homework. I have read the need for dehumidifiers and the numerous heating options, as well as general winterizing of a boat.

I don't own a boat yet, but to make the cruising dream happen, I am thinking about livingaboard as soon as I get the funds together to get the boat. That way, I am putting money towards the cruising kitty that would normally be spent on apartment rent. I realize that marina fees will be cheaper (not cheap, by any means). In the mean time, I plan on crewing on weekends as much as possible. (How hard would it be to convince someone to let me crew on their daysail if I showed up with an icechest full of beer?)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Lee
adventureseeker3 is offline   Reply With Quote