Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 15:25   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Can anyone give me suggestions thoughts or advice

Quote:
Easy to move to where weather is good. Baja in winter, Seattle in summer. This is not easy with a boat.
It's relatively easy here on the East Coast. Thousands of boaters do it every year. We call them "Snowbirds." They travel north and south up and down the Intracoastal Waterway, staying every night in a comfortable and interesting harbor, traveling at the same speed as the season changes so they stay in the best climate: Maine or New England in the summer, the Chesapeake in the fall and spring, and Florida and the Bahamas in the winter. Then do it all over again.
Old 09-05-2013, 15:41   #32

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It's relatively easy here on the East Coast. Thousands of boaters do it every year. We call them "Snowbirds." They travel north and south up and down the Intracoastal Waterway, staying every night in a comfortable and interesting harbor, traveling at the same speed as the season changes so they stay in the best climate: Maine or New England in the summer, the Chesapeake in the fall and spring, and Florida and the Bahamas in the winter. Then do it all over again.
Yep, but you won't be doing that with a cheap houseboat.
You can just charter boats and stay in hotels around the world too, when cost is not an issue.
Old 09-05-2013, 21:02   #33

Your right who's the crazy one if I'm leaving and there staying well I will give them my shovels as my going away presents )
Teachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
The southern portion of coastal Oregon features that weather...
What weather? She said that she prefers mid 70s. The average daily highs on the southern coast of Oregon peak at 68 degrees in July and August. Now, admittedly, it doesn't get a whole lot colder than that in the winter, so clearly better than Minnesota. Still, not quite mid 70s.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 16:32   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Yep, but you won't be doing that with a cheap houseboat.
Not my choice of craft, but I have seen them moving up and down the ICW. Most of the stretch between Norfolk and Miami is pretty sheltered, and with a modicum of commonsense choosing your weather, there is no reason a houseboat can't move safely. Personally, I would go for a regular power boat or sailboat in order to have more boating destination options, but it is doable on a houseboat.

As to that perfect climate, about as close as you could get in the USA is San Diego I think, but even there aren't the summer temperatures higher than 70s? Here on the East Coast you can easily live year 'round almost anywhere from the Carolinas to Florida, but you will need AC in the summer and some heat in the winter, except for southern Florida.
Old 12-05-2013, 17:11   #36

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Can anyone give me suggestions thoughts or advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

Poetry, Sir.

The RV suggestion is good too. I have an RV but the 8 mpg and the rising fuel $ made me rethink the future a bit. Plus it costs to anchor the RV overnight in nice places.

OP, There are zillions of houseboats near SF. Some must be for rent. SF is probably the Massage Therapist Capital of the world. Leave the rat bastard behind. SF has rats.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote